Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anybody running a turbo timer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody running a turbo timer?

back in the day before i knew anything about turbos i remember a lot of guys running turbo timers to make sure the oil cooled the turbo before the engine was shut off.

i also seem to remember somebody talking about the WRX's having a design so as to slowly drain through the turbo after the motor was cut, so as to further cool and lube the turbo and prevent any damage.

ive got a 60 series tnetics and im remembering those convo's and just wondering
Old 05-22-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

ha, me and my pops were just talking about this. i would like to know also...they sell cheapo's on flea bay but as long as it works i dont see a reason not to buy this. can some pros chime in???
Old 05-22-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

+1!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say most lsx turbo guys are not running them. The idea is that after running a turbo hard then shutting it down, the housing temp is so great that it can bake the oil in the lines therefore plugging them up or causing restrictions. You see this more on imports because they are running their turbos harder since that turbo is smaller and spooling at low rpm. On most lsx turbo setups, you're only going into full boost for very short periods, not depending on the turbo all the time to get the car in motion, so the turbo is not running super hot and therefore doesn't need a prolonged cool down time.

Moral of the story: if you just made a pass or have been beating on the car (in boost alot), cruise around or let it idle for 5min before shutting it off and you won't have any problems. My TA was a TT daily driver, I lived by this principle and never saw any turbo failures or oil line issues.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Launching!

yeah ricers run them because they think they look cool when they get out of their car and it cuts off by itself. when do you really make boost then park your car immediately afterward?....spend your money on something useful
Old 05-22-2010, 06:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

exactly. turbo timers are gay
Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crf538
yeah ricers run them because they think they look cool when they get out of their car and it cuts off by itself. when do you really make boost then park your car immediately afterward?....spend your money on something useful
the drag strip is the only real world example where you will be WOT for a long time then shut it down right away. but by the time you have idled the car to your parking spot the car is good to shut off. Keep in mind that gas engines run very high exhaust temps at idle so after a couple min or by the time you found your parking spot and took you seat belt off and admired your time slip the turbo is about as cool as it is going to get.

I have close to 50K on my turbo SHO and the original PT67 is still in perfect condition as far as I can tell. Never ran a turbo timer and I run the car very hard.

edit: after you put your car in park or once you park it is general practice to let the car sit for 2-5 sec to let the turbo spin down as much as it car before you turn the engine off because you don't want to cut the oil supply which it is screaming especially for a non ball bearing unit.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

A turbo timer is really only pocket change compared to the rest of the build so why not add the extra insurance?

I run one in my V6 Eclipse and it's kind of nice not having to sit there and wait for the EGT to fall after that last pull.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Retard timer is a more appropriate name. The longer they run the longer more of a retard the owner is. They serve no real purpose.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with 93formto98T/A,

Turbo timers are EASILY replaced with being responsible with your turbo car. If you just went ***** to the wall in your car, and just stop and turn it off. You deserve to pay anyways. lol

Quick Reply: anybody running a turbo timer?