Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How Much Timing Are You Running @ What PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Much Timing Are You Running @ What PSI?

Hi
Im playing with my tune some now to extract some extra horsepower now that i know my setup is rock solid. On my best pass at the track a couple weeks ago I got a beautiful data log file of the whole run which has me thinking my tune is even more conservative than I thought.

Im using a FAST XFI.

The whole way down the track my AFR is 11.50 to 1 or below at between 10 and 12 lbs of boost. My 02 correction is over -10% the entire run so i know i have plenty of injector/fuel system left. What I see though is that in that part of my timing graph its only running 19 -20 degrees of timing, which doesnt seem like much at all to me.

So to my question, for you guys that tune yourselves, is what kind of timing are you running at what boost levels? I know from experience that 2 or 3 degrees of timing can make a huge difference!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

No one? Maybe better asked in the tuning section...
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** if u have enough injector, turn up the boost lol!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my old tune, low boost, the guy that did it was only comfortable going to about 17 degrees @ 6 psi. I at the time had a stock motor, stock compression, and was running 93 gas..

I am also interested to know how high i can go now with a built motor, lower compression, and good gas.

Chris
Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of variables. Compression ratio is a big one. Someone with 9.5 or 10.1 is not going to be able to run as much timing as someone with say 8.5 to 1. And then there is fuel ,can run more on higher octane,can run more when using alc injection. Then we have temperatures out..

So not as simple a question as you think. I have 9.5 to 1 no alc injection hooked up yet. I was running around 18 max 7.5 psi only but now took that down to 12 max until get the alc in and working. I wasn't really seeing any knock but just feel a bit safer at lower timing. Timing can make quite a bit of power difference. In order of power would say boost is first, then timing ,then afr last. But timing can also take out engines so make sure if you are cranking it up you watch knock retard like a hawk. This is even more important if you are on stock hypercrap pistons that have fragile ringlands. Forged guys can get away with a bit more detonation ,still being greedy on timing can lift heads,take out head gaskets..etc. Too low timing makes a car doggy though.But no reason to not have decent timing off boost in off boost areas.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

9.4:1 compression, 91 octane fuel, 10#s of boost and 17 deg of timing here.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

I should have phrased my question better. Im not looking for advise or anything, just kinda curious to see who runs what timing with what setups. Im interested to see how big of a difference there is between different setups.

Quick Reply: How Much Timing Are You Running @ What PSI?