Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Aps guys when your standard turbos died what symptoms did you have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Aps guys when your standard turbos died what symptoms did you have?

Still haven't installed my LG turbos in my 99 .Having a few symptoms maybe but not sure related to turbo. Have some subtle surging happening at mostly light throttle and idle. I have been messing with tuning as well so not sure if its tune or something else.

I am not seeing clouds of smoke out the back of the car either. I am not hearing any grinding turbo sounds from the wheels hitting the sides and not seeing any big oil leaking anywhere in intake pipes,intercooler pipes,etc.
And am still seeing boost but there are of course two turbos so figured if maybe one was going it would cause a subtle surging perhaps and maybe not so subtle as it go worse. I have been running my turbos oil cooled only not water cooled since one had internal crack in it. I have think around 6000 or so miles on the kit. Boost so far is kept at stock level that may be one reason haven't killed my turbos yet.

So lets hear those dying turbo symptoms aps brohs.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most common symptom should be smoking out of the exhaust and sometimes alittle leaking externally. The most definate way is to pull the inlet piping and look at the play in the shaft/oil in the housing/wheel contacing housing.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine just started smoking like a chimney. Car wouldn't boost for **** either. Noticeably quitter whistle too.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have u checked for boost leaks?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed.....

pull off your intakes and check shaft play if its anything more than minimal then you may have some issues, also check the discharge pipes right off of the turbos for oil residue.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

smoke, oil inside the intake piping alot of oil in my case lol
Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

I checked one for shaft play not that long ago but forgot to check the other one. I am not seeing bunch of smoke at all. I know lots of the aps some bad and thats why bought scavenger pump to help in case it was from the gravity feeds not working great but didn't install it yet . I do tend to run maybe half a quart low and that might help some.
I hear no screeching. And am still seeing boost. I have not checked for boost leaks but of course that is good idea especially when guys have found some blow off couplers. APS didn't include t bolt clamps and not sure on their coupler quality either so will be replacing the couplers and clamps for better soon.

I have not been overly worried about the standard turbos dying as do have the LG sitting here in the box. Just trying to make the time and convince my mechanic buddy to swap the new ones in there as he thinks its going to be a huge pain in the *** with how the aps go in the car and the way we have to drop the kmember. We will just be doing this on garage floor not on overhead. But that is how we did everything on my car.

So Tom give me some awesome reviews on how you like the new LG turbos to get me in the mood to swap them over!

So no one experienced any surging at idle or low speed when the aps turbos were dying?
I still think in my case its just tuning issue.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm played with tune but still have really bad surging at idle and low speed and notice when step on gas not full throttle and go into boost that the boost is all over the place not steady at all..So that is making me wonder more if one of the turbos or both are becoming erratic in their boosting. I am reaching the end of my patience so think try to convince mechanic buddy to swap over to the LGs next week. Then if still have surging its tuning or the 80s and if its the 80s then go to some 120s that have still.
60s are too small obviously.

I should take a bit longer on the swap and send out the exhaust manifolds and turbo exhaust housings to get ceramic coated and also order some new silicone and t bolt clamps. Problem is driving season is short here so hate to put the car down more than have to. I wanted to do all this stuff before spring but just did'nt work out that way this year.

So anyone get surging when the aps turbos started dying?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
So anyone get surging when the aps turbos started dying?
I am using a turbonetics t76 and I am eating oil bad now and the car started surging. Looks like my plugs don't like the oil and neither does my wide band.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car surged extremly bad at low rpms in 1st gear.

Finishing up the LG upgrades, should have it complete this weekend.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DanDan
My car surged extremly bad at low rpms in 1st gear.

Finishing up the LG upgrades, should have it complete this weekend.
Hmm ok so if it wasn't tuning should be gone with the new ones. Keep us posted.

I have still not put my lg on. Hoping sometime in next few weeks. I had some tuning surging off idle and at idle but got it much better. But may still have a bit like you are talking about and that might be from turbos. I am not seeing big clouds of smoke. Have not taken things apart yet though to check for shaft play or oil in intercooler pipes,etc. I am still seeing 7 or so pounds when hammer on it but did think the boost was a bit erratic when hold it at steady but not full throttle.

Oh well at least have the LG ones here and they will be in their new home soon.