Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LG APS upgrades.......Let us know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LG APS upgrades.......Let us know what you think

I am at a crossroad with my car. I have the aps base kit and I know it is time to upgrade the turbos or go to a single turbo setup.

I am running a forged 347
I would really like to run mid to low 9's
My car generally has good(1.40-1.50 60')

I really like the aps kit , but I would like more information on the LG turbos to see if they will support my goals before i make a decision.

For those of you who have experience with the LG upgrades........post your information on the performance of the turbos good or bad.

I would like to see:

horsepower numbers with details

Track times

Backpressure at higher boost levels.

make sure to give details about the car transmission CI etc

I would like to keep the aps kit and use the LG turbos, but I want to be well informed before I pay almost 3k for turbos.

thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a side not. i know APS has a bunch of the high out put 20g turbos in stock.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Those turbos are still basically a 20g turbo right?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

LOL bad question...............what is the difference in the high output and the regular turbos?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

http://www.airpowersystems.com/fbody/tts2.htm

^^^ says they are 65 lb/min turos and A/R is 1.06
Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 PM
10 Second Club

thanks Big Bird
Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ide keep the APS manifolds and have a company fab up a set up for twin a gt35r set up, or even bigger if you got the cubes.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

^^^ lol. you show me the company. we have all tried
Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
^^^ lol. you show me the company. we have all tried

I know Blouch turbo does tons of custom stuff like this as they even do allot of custom MHI turbos for the DSM crowd and many other brands. I have thought of looking into them to see what they could do for my APS build and even back when I had those incon turbos that had a custom exhaust housing.

Cost is the only thing I don't know about but when you start doing custom machine work well everyone here knows the cost can get carried away.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I wouldn't be buying more turbos from aps after they used the knock offs on the standard kit. And their after sales service is pretty much zero.

There are hp dynos with the LG turbos already. LG did some and Onemean01
has dyno number like 930rwhp and 900? torque.

Tomz28 has the LG and is dynoing right away. He will track soon he said.
I have the LG but not installed yet. I was hoping to track and dyno this season.

Few more guys got the LG turbos. They are rated to 70lb min and sure they can do at least 1000rwhp on your typical 346 or even 408. They should still be ok on a 427 size engine have to see.

On an auto wouldn't worry about BB . On a stick BB can be nice ,BB can give a bit quicker spool but really I have quick spool now and sure it will be still fine with the LGs.

You should maybe see a few more dynos and track numbers from the LG turbos this year.

Keep in mind though that not all of us are hardcore track guys. My car has no transbrake, I am not planning to make many runs and if don't put in at least a rollbar for sure won't be making many runs. Although we have a few outlaw tracks so might get a good time there hard to say even they are starting to get stricter.Also my suspension is not really setup for optimal track either.

Looks like Big Bird may have another option and Peter did try to sell me some GT35Rs which he said were plug and play but declined the offer. As said I am pretty happy with my aps kit and wouldn't even consider going to a single kit. Modulars upcoming kit sounds interesting and it would be nice if someone like TTI would put out a fourth gen kit like their sweet 5th gen twin kit.
Heck it would be interesting if sts would put out a rear twin kit for the fourth gens like they have for the 5th too. Nice to have options.

But man you already have the aps kit and aside from few minor issues can't see why you would take it off. LGs should be capable of 8s with the right suspension and stuff.

Oh and guy already ran a high 9 with aps standard turbos on a 402 or 408, 4l80 with my stall, 4.10 gears .
So why wouldn't the bigger LG turbos do mid to low 9s or even 8s. No reason for them not too.You can search some of the old APS threads.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

I'm just worried about having too much backpressure at higher boost levels. If i'm going to have to put too much money in this kit, I will just put a single on it.

I really want to keep the aps kit, but my goals in a couple of years will be more that what the aps kit can do even with gt35r's.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 AM
9 Second Club

i think the tuner thats working on my car said my car hit 10psi at 2800 but i dont think thats right ill check tomorrow
Old 06-12-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
I'm just worried about having too much backpressure at higher boost levels. If i'm going to have to put too much money in this kit, I will just put a single on it.

I really want to keep the aps kit, but my goals in a couple of years will be more that what the aps kit can do even with gt35r's.
You are worried two 70lb min or 75lb min turbos will have too much backpressure? So you are going to put on a 200lb min single????

Goals change. What are you trying to make over 1400 engine hp? Good luck hooking that up? Just hit some spray on top of the lg or gt35s if you want more power. But you better also forget about your 346 , I doubt that 346 is going to even take 1000rwhp without blowing the heads off the top of it and other things which are going to break.I don't plan on running past 800rwhp 99% of the time and maybe maybe try to hit 1000rwhp once on the dyno just to put on the wall. And as soon as hit a 9.xx even 9.99 on some track will retire the car from track runs. I have so much into my car that if hit the wall would seriously cry like a baby. No insurance at the track! New z06 hit the wall at our local track last year. Not the best track prep that day and with only 500 engine hp he managed to write off the car.Try to explain that to your insurance agent.

Just sell the kit now, build an LSX 427 or whatever. Put the biggest badest single on it and enjoy the 2000rpm powerband you will have from mabye 5000 to 7000 .And not a chance of ever hooking it up unless you tub the car with a 4 link and everything else and even then the chassis is not going to work worth crap anyway time to buy a real race car.

Sorry if that sounded a bit extreme but hey ...I have more power now than can sanely use, on the street even at 750 engine hp estimated its a wild card when and if my car will hook up ,even on drag tires like my et street radials. Its like my 99TT on my 360 forza game.I built it so powerful that its pretty much useless. Can't hook it ,can't control it. overpowered to the extreme. Now on a video game that kind of ridiculous power is no big deal. You crash and burn in the game no big deal. But in the real world..well I like power as much as the next guy and been a hotrodder since was 16 and am 52 now. And the only reason likely got to be this old is never had even a 1000 engine hp car in my younger days. Now at least I know to respect it.

Anyway sorry for the lecture. I realize this is the FI forum and us FI guys do like to try to put out huge power.
Just remember the old saying. Be careful what you wish for! I wanted to build a car that basically wasn't power limited. I got my wish . But will admit the car can scare the f@@k out of me! And to tell the truth haven't even bothered to wire up my nitrous system.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can hook 750 engine hp on the street. I was hooking right at 700whp on some 325 MT radials. Throttle control and suspension is your friend. It can be done!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
You can hook 750 engine hp on the street. I was hooking right at 700whp on some 325 MT radials. Throttle control and suspension is your friend. It can be done!
this is what im talking about LOL. set up is key to hooking up
Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

700rwhp you can hook ..ok . Agree depending on what you mean by hook. Do you mean hooking up in top of third on a stick? Do you mean abilty to dead hook off the line and stay dead hooked thru all the gears?
And the OP is not talking about 700rwhp. He can make 700 rwhp in his sleep with LG upgrades even. Onemean o2 already made 930rwhp and there was more left.
He is talking like he wants way over 1000rwhp. And that is a different animal.
Show me videos of how many guys are hooking up over 1000rwhp? And if they even get that much faster. It becomes diminishing returns after a certain point. And don't forget how much track bs you need to be under 10.0, to be under 8.5.
And while you might hook up those et streets on a nice hot day how will they hook in the real world on colder days , in the rain, in spring and fall?

And yes there are strategies to hook up big power. Ramping the boost by gear, etc.
Going to be trying some myself. And sure it will help. But seriously does anyone really honestly need over 1000 engine hp?

I figure my car might have potential for 1700 hp engine hp. Thats with the turbos full flow or 1400 engine hp and the direct port at 300 shot ,max shot without getting bigger jets.
Will I ever likely run the car at that? Not too likely. Would need to get LSX build. Would need to redo my entire fuel system to handle over 1000rwhp. And would start wondering about even my top of line built rpm trans.But should be cake on my car to get 800rwhp boost only and 1000rwhp with small shots of spray and boost or even boost only.
And still stay hopefully reliable and have some hope of hooking it up.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
700rwhp you can hook ..ok . Agree depending on what you mean by hook. Do you mean hooking up in top of third on a stick? Do you mean abilty to dead hook off the line and stay dead hooked thru all the gears?
And the OP is not talking about 700rwhp. He can make 700 rwhp in his sleep with LG upgrades even. Onemean o2 already made 930rwhp and there was more left.
He is talking like he wants way over 1000rwhp. And that is a different animal.
Show me videos of how many guys are hooking up over 1000rwhp? And if they even get that much faster. It becomes diminishing returns after a certain point. And don't forget how much track bs you need to be under 10.0, to be under 8.5.
And while you might hook up those et streets on a nice hot day how will they hook in the real world on colder days , in the rain, in spring and fall?

And yes there are strategies to hook up big power. Ramping the boost by gear, etc.
Going to be trying some myself. And sure it will help. But seriously does anyone really honestly need over 1000 engine hp?

I figure my car might have potential for 1700 hp engine hp. Thats with the turbos full flow or 1400 engine hp and the direct port at 300 shot ,max shot without getting bigger jets.
Will I ever likely run the car at that? Not too likely. Would need to get LSX build. Would need to redo my entire fuel system to handle over 1000rwhp. And would start wondering about even my top of line built rpm trans.But should be cake on my car to get 800rwhp boost only and 1000rwhp with small shots of spray and boost or even boost only.
And still stay hopefully reliable and have some hope of hooking it up.
.....and don't forget about your luck of the draw as far as track prep too! If you're lucky, they might sweep the track and spray some VHT down, but if you're not lucky, then that wall scenario that you mentioned earlier is a distinct possibility (oops, I meant Probability)!

Please keeps us posted on what you end up doing!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm talking about riding the clutch out in first from a dead stop...half throttling it through first, powershifting to second and dead hooking and continue to do so in every gear. Never had my car spin in third, well except for trying slicks on the street. Slicks+street=DEATH.

I use to ride a 150 shot out from a dead stop and could be WTFO in the top of first and barely haze the tires over. Slam second and keep on motoring. That setup would leave with big stalled auto's

Not saying that everyone can do it(obviously), but it is very possible. How do you think some of these 7-8 second cars hook on the street? Not just luck. And who races in the rain? Why would 1000hp and rain even be mentioned in the same sentence?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blk00ss
I'm talking about riding the clutch out in first from a dead stop...half throttling it through first, powershifting to second and dead hooking and continue to do so in every gear. Never had my car spin in third, well except for trying slicks on the street. Slicks+street=DEATH.

I use to ride a 150 shot out from a dead stop and could be WTFO in the top of first and barely haze the tires over. Slam second and keep on motoring. That setup would leave with big stalled auto's

Not saying that everyone can do it(obviously), but it is very possible. How do you think some of these 7-8 second cars hook on the street? Not just luck. And who races in the rain? Why would 1000hp and rain even be mentioned in the same sentence?
I mention rain as my car is not a track only perfect weather day car.I do take it out in the rain and the new toyo tq do not bad especially compared to et street radials or actual drag slicks.

I don't think most of those 7 and 8 second cars could run those times on street compared to prepped tracks. You can drive anything around don't mean you will get same time as you can at track.And its not just rain that messes up traction.Its temperature outside. Car that hooks pretty good on a 90 degree day don't do so well on a 40 or 50 degree day in fall or spring.

There is a car on ytube in england something with monster displacement and it has 2200 engine hp and the guy does daily drive it. But seriously daily driving means a lot of different things to different people.

A 1000 plus turbo car can actually be very docile when you want it to be.
Thats part of the beauty of turbos.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Your right................if I put a gt4788 on it then that would be way too much for that engine with even some good heads on it. But at least with that setup I know I have plenty of potential when I build a engine. I would have to turn the boost down until I got a 6 bolt setup.

I don't want to go to that right now and I won't if the LG turbos are legit and will make 1000 fwhp reliably without backpressure going 3:1(on a sub 400 inch engine).