Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

jgs wastegate and boost controler help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default jgs wastegate and boost controler help

i have a jgs 50mm gate with the lightest spring. with the lower port on the gate connected to the intercooler pipe it sees 4lbs of boost. with the top port open. now with that line off and the top port still open it see's 7lbs. shouldent it make what ever boost the turbo will make. i want to get it to 13lbs how do i hook up the manuel boost controler. i put one between the intercooler pipe and wastegate, with the top port still open and it wouldent change boost. yeah i feel dumb but help please.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im kinda in the same boat right now, im trying to get more boost off the WG with the jgs springs that came with it.

on my setup the big spring gave 3 psi, big and medium spring gave 7psi, and all 3 springs only gave 7.5....i dont know what other brand spring will work with this WG but im wanting to be able to run around 12-14 off the gate alone.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hook up both ports to the compressor housing and put your controller in line of the bottom port. As you close off flow to the bottom port, your boost should increase. You should start off at 7 psi with both ports hooked up and the boost controller wide open based on the above info provided.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Hook up both ports to the compressor housing and put your controller in line of the bottom port. As you close off flow to the bottom port, your boost should increase. You should start off at 7 psi with both ports hooked up and the boost controller wide open based on the above info provided.

could you make a lil diagram, or take a pic? also..do any other brand springs that work with the jgs WG?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Restricted User

my JGS only came with the spring it had in the gate. will the springs from a 60mm JGS blow off valve work in a 50mm JGS wastegate?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually you can make about double the spring before it will push open if you don't have any reference to the bottom port and the top port open.

I run a line to the top port with a small nitrous jet in it(.024) to allow me to put pressure to the top port when I need(via a gm boost solenoid). This allows me to run as low as 4.5lbs, but can run 15lbs up top without a problem, all with manual boost controller and the boost noids.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skinnies
Usually you can make about double the spring before it will push open if you don't have any reference to the bottom port and the top port open.

I run a line to the top port with a small nitrous jet in it(.024) to allow me to put pressure to the top port when I need(via a gm boost solenoid). This allows me to run as low as 4.5lbs, but can run 15lbs up top without a problem, all with manual boost controller and the boost noids.

so if i take off my line going from the turbo to the bottom port on the wg my 7.5 spring combo would be around 14psi...and my single spring that gave me 3.5 psi would now be around 7?

currently i do have a manual boost controller hooked up but im only adding one lb of boost over the the springs.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:35 AM
10 Second Club

Right the 7.5lb spring should make ~15lbs. FYI if you hook a line to the top port only, it will slam it shut and make a lot of boost QUICK, don't recommend you doing this without knowing what you are doing. Just letting you know so you don't do this not realizing what will happen.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Right the 7.5lb spring should make ~15lbs. FYI if you hook a line to the top port only, it will slam it shut and make a lot of boost QUICK, don't recommend you doing this without knowing what you are doing. Just letting you know so you don't do this not realizing what will happen.
how come the boost will about double when no line is connected to the bottom port compared to when there is a line on there? i want to be able to run my boost controller but from what your saying (and i guess what might be happening) is when a line is on the bottom port im cutting the boost down

and ill make sure not to connect my line to the top port untill the end of the season when i just let this motor eat and blow it up
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

ok, so if i can only get 3-4 lbs with the line only hooked up to the bottom, then 7-8 lbs with the lines off. with the top and bottom ports hooked up with the controler on the lower port. will i still only be able to make 7-8 lbs or can i hit 15 lbs
Old 06-13-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

install a coil spring in there

let us know if hooking up both ports will solve the problem, i really do not want to take off my wastegates anymore

also what spring does the 40mm gate come with ?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elias_799
install a coil spring in there

let us know if hooking up both ports will solve the problem, i really do not want to take off my wastegates anymore

also what spring does the 40mm gate come with ?
anyone have a diagram of how to hook up both ports with a controller? and would that work with a manual, or just an electric with co2?

how long does it take you to get your WG on and off? mine takes about 5 min to take it off, change the spring, and put it back on

i cant remember what size gate i have but mine came with 3 springs
Old 06-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Restricted User

It all depends on how the boost controller works. You really have to have an understanding of what is happening inside the WG so you can figure out how to plumb it. You have 2 ports. The one on the top uses boost pressure to help keep the WG valve shut. The one on the bottom uses boost to assist in opening the WG. When the WG opens, it bleeds exhaust pressure which in turn slows the turbine wheel thereby regulating boost. So now we know what's going on.

You should have a port near the outlet on the side of the compressor housing (old side). This will produce the strongest boost signal and should never see any vacuum to speak of. Depending on how the boost controller works and how many ports it has will depend on how you plumb it in. If it just has one in and out and just restricts a single line, then I would T off the compressor housing and run a line to each of the ports on the WG. Then I would splice into the line going to the bottom of the gate. As you cut off boost signal to the bottom port (open assist), your boost should increase.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
It all depends on how the boost controller works. You really have to have an understanding of what is happening inside the WG so you can figure out how to plumb it. You have 2 ports. The one on the top uses boost pressure to help keep the WG valve shut. The one on the bottom uses boost to assist in opening the WG. When the WG opens, it bleeds exhaust pressure which in turn slows the turbine wheel thereby regulating boost. So now we know what's going on.

You should have a port near the outlet on the side of the compressor housing (old side). This will produce the strongest boost signal and should never see any vacuum to speak of. Depending on how the boost controller works and how many ports it has will depend on how you plumb it in. If it just has one in and out and just restricts a single line, then I would T off the compressor housing and run a line to each of the ports on the WG. Then I would splice into the line going to the bottom of the gate. As you cut off boost signal to the bottom port (open assist), your boost should increase.
thanks for the great info, still trying to learn here lol

if i plumb it the way you just described will this now make my 7.5 lb spring turn into roughly 15lbs? and then be able to use my boost controller to turn it up even more?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a JGS 50mm wastegate & the springs that came with it never made as much boost as they said they are supposed to, I tried all 3 springs, the black, silver, & red. For me to run 12 psi I had to run the stiffest/red spring and turn up the boost controller a couple of turns.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by buick_lsx
thanks for the great info, still trying to learn here lol

if i plumb it the way you just described will this now make my 7.5 lb spring turn into roughly 15lbs? and then be able to use my boost controller to turn it up even more?
By completely blocking off the boost signal to the bottom port and allowing full signal to the top port, you should be close to double the spring rating. I know it's not a direct answer but there are a few variables involved so it's not a yes/no question. Again, depends on how the manual controller you are using works.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My mbc just has one in, and one out....i have a line going from the comprosser housing to the bottom port on the wg with the mbc inbetween.

If i T off the housing, and keep my mbc in the line going to the bottom port, AND add the line(from the T) to the top port....would my boost about double?

just for comparrison, assume that im adding no boost with the mbc, just going off the wg spring....
Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 AM
10 Second Club

Line with no boost controller to the WG bottom port will make ABOUT what the spring is rated at

Line with boost controller to the WG bottom port will make at least what the spring will make, but no more than ABOUT double the spring

No line hooked at all to the WG will make ABOUT double the spring

Line with no boost controller hooked to the TOP port will spike and make as much boost as the turbo can, VERY quickly

With the manual boost controller you have, you want to run it inline with the bottom hose, this will allow you to make anywhere from the spring to double the spring. If you want to make more boost, get a bigger spring is the easiest way.

IIRC we put the tial springs in the JGS gate as we couldn't make much boost with the provided springs, I think only around 8lbs on the biggest spring. You can also combine small/big springs to make more boost.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Line with no boost controller to the WG bottom port will make ABOUT what the spring is rated at

Line with boost controller to the WG bottom port will make at least what the spring will make, but no more than ABOUT double the spring

No line hooked at all to the WG will make ABOUT double the spring

Line with no boost controller hooked to the TOP port will spike and make as much boost as the turbo can, VERY quickly

With the manual boost controller you have, you want to run it inline with the bottom hose, this will allow you to make anywhere from the spring to double the spring. If you want to make more boost, get a bigger spring is the easiest way.

IIRC we put the tial springs in the JGS gate as we couldn't make much boost with the provided springs, I think only around 8lbs on the biggest spring. You can also combine small/big springs to make more boost.
right now i have all 3 springs in and it only makes 7.5 on gate, looking to make more just on gate though...you said you think the tial spring work, hopefully they do because i know i can get some stiffer springs from them.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Where is your reference at, the turbo or intake manifold? Have you checked for big boost leaks? Running just the biggest spring we made ~8lbs, you might have another problem.

Quick Reply: jgs wastegate and boost controler help