Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

looking to build a boost car. New guy here. Sorry. Lots of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Question looking to build a boost car. New guy here. Sorry. Lots of questions.

The motor is going in a 1998 Z28 A4. I want to build a LQ4 or a LQ9 with a D1sc pro charger and 408ci. Looking for 700 - 800hp streetable

Questions.

Who does good machine work at a good price. I want the block to be basically brand new. Line bored, cam bearings, bored, the deck cleaned up, just the whole 9 yards.

I want to put 10 - 15 #s of boost to it so I need a good rotating assembly. Which one do you guys recommend? Where can I get it. I read about the weisco one but then some people say its not that good.

Give me a good oil pump idea and tell me where I can go to get it.

I feel like I should know this... Is there a difference between the LQ4 or LQ9 and the LS1 block as far as the pulley system goes? ie. Power steering, A/C and stuff? Will the LS1 stuff bolt on it and work or am I gonna have to buy all new stuff?

Where can I get some good H bearings?

I have read a lot about heads but most of it says "get some GOOD heads" What constitutes a "good head" for a boost motor? What valve size and what cc combustion chamber should I look for? What intake runner size?

What size headers are you guys running?

Which sponsor sells a A.T.I. harmonic balancer for this set up?

Will the 4l60E trans bolt up to these blocks?

If you have a similar set up please let me know what your set up is and what its running.

I know its a lot of questions and Im sorry but I am brand new to boost and I have read so much already. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.As far as machining an existing block AES (sponsor here) has a good reputation. There are several others. I use ERL but my setup and yours couldnt be more different.

2. Rotating assembly I would go with callies compstar forged rods and crank. You can use the stock crank up to 1000rwhp but I like having a forged crank personally. Wiseco has done more with LS pistons than any other and in turn offer one of the best pistons money can buy. I went with their custom line for my build.

3.Oil pump- Katech ported and blueprinted LS6

4.As far as the LQ9 goes it lacks the bolt hole on the side of the block for the alternator. This can be fitted and tapped. Not a big deal. The LQ4 and Lq9 blocks are identical. You keep all of the F body accesories when you do the swap, unless you dont want stuff like a/c ps and such.

5.You can get the clevite H bearings from your builder or Summit racing.

6.As far as good heads I say perfromance inductions(use to be ETP) or trick flow. A good flowing head is obviously what you want and either would be a good choice. Performance inductions has more LS records than any other cylinder head company out there.

7.For the ATI damper call bob @ brutespeed. He is a sponsor and knows his stuff.

8.I am turbo so I have no clue what headers you should run. Someone else please answer this!

9.The 4L60 or 80 will bolt right up to any LS block.

Hopefully I have answered some of your questions. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

The bigger the better on headders. Some guys have picked up 60+ whp by opening a cutout. American racing or kooks sell probably the best headders, but you pay for the quality. There are other companies out there that have good headders at a cheaper price. Your going to want to run 1-7/8ths or bigger. Dont forget a cam as well, it will be an important part of your build. A tune is also a must. Dont forget things such as:

Head Gaskets
Head Studs
Main Studs
Injectors/fuel system
Tune
TQ converter
Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

Click on my sig pic for info on my car......just be prepared to spend lots of money and time to get everything working properly
Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great info guys. Im learning a lot here. Any more suggestions? Where do I get the rotating assembly? What about lifters?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you would like to do business with a site sponsor then ERL can get you anything you need from Callies. Call and speak to Sean, he will take care of you. As far as lifters go, I only run Morel. They are about $500, but worth every penny. One less thing to worry about.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, true. I will do that, Thanks