Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo oil return line - different

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo oil return line - different

OK so I'm at the turbo return line point on my build. I have spent a few hours researching the option which seem to be:

1. Weld or tap a fitting on the side of the pan. Higher than the oil level.
2. Weld or tap a fitting on the timing cover. Smaller crank pulley required.
3. Use a 12V DC external oil pump.

These seem to be the three popular solutions proven to work. Although from my point of view I can find a few reasons I would like to avoid these. 1. oil pan can crack, leak if not done right. I been asked $225 to get it welded which would include an acetone bath etc. 2. I'd have to remove the crank which is major pain in the butt. Replace it with a a smaller one which cost a lot of money. 3. External pump is $275 and plus it's adding components to the mixture which overall it increases the chances of having another problem. Too fancy.

So...this is just a thought so please be easy on me......what if I go through the oil level sensor with a bulkhead. From there I reduce to a -3 AN same as the feed line. Then from there with a longer hose (which would stay inside the oil pan and allow enough space for installation), I go to a welded fitting on the pick up tube right above the screen. The pick up tube is steel and very easy and safe to weld. The system would bleed itself in seconds after every start up. The vacuum should be the same with the oil pressure since is the same pump recycling the oil. This is just a thought so I would like to hear any opinions on this. It seems doable and fairly cheap. Please give your thoughts.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

if your turbo's center is visually above the crank center then just drill/tap the pan, screw in an npt fitting w/ sealer and it will be fine.. its been done like hundreds of times.

run a 3/4" hose and make sure its downhill from the turbo the entire trip.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At WOT or even casual driving most of the weight shifts to the back anyway, which will give you a little more drain angle. Thats just physics.

Quick Reply: Turbo oil return line - different