Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Muffler before the turbo????

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler before the turbo????

I may be asking a stupid question but on my S10 the downpipes on my truck are only about 1.5' long and there is just no room for even a bullet muffler, I would love for the truck to be quiet, it has a nasty kackle in the exhaust, the turbos are whining real nice while driving and I would like that to be the only thing you hear! The truck does have an x pipe in it and the exhaust is wrapped from the heads to the turbos, would running a muffler before the turbos hurt the performance any other than the heat lost? I would wrap the muffler when it is installed! Any help would be great!!
Here is the setup!

Last edited by LS1DIME; 06-25-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was actually just reading a thread about this very thing, and the consensus was to run a flow thru bullet style to not effect the pressure going to the turbo's.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Teching In

You'll have to choose your muffler carefully. I wouldn't try it with a muffler that has any kind of packing to it. With the increased temps and pressure that crap could come loose and get blown straight into your turbo = a bad day.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

I was wondering about a Dual inlet and Dual Outlet Magnaflow but I am pretty sure they have the packing in the case of the muffler, is that not a good choice of muffler? I am afraid a bullet will not quiet the down as much as I want it to!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Yes they do. The only ones I can think of right now are the Moroso spiral flow, Flowmasters, or those new Cherry Bombs. None of which are especially quiet. You could get some of those large case Flowmasters for rvs? I guess?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Experimented with this on several cars with rear mounts to quiet them down and it really tends to hurt your spool time no matter what type of muffler you put on there. I would redesign the downpipe to the tailpipe section to go to opposite sides underneath so you can put mufflers after the turbo.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

I have looked into redesigning the down pipes but my oil system is all mounted right where they would need to go, it would require some serious work!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way would I put a muffler before the turbo, WAY too much risk of material finding its way into your $$$ turbos.
I would tweak the down pipe design to allow some mufflers after the turbos, or just deal with the exhaust sound as it is.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd avoid a muffler before the turbo as well, mainly due to it possibly affecting spool time and the possibility of debris. If you do choose to put one before it, remember that you will be pressurizing it to 2-3x your inlet pressure. Have to make sure that it won't explode. A bullet type would probably be best as I've seen them used in this app before.

Quick Reply: Muffler before the turbo????