Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

water to air for procharged f body

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water to air for procharged f body

Hey guys Ive got project going on right now and would like some imput. What Ive done is took the plastic procharger plenum off my car and built one like it out of aluminum and welded a 3" x 12" fluidyne cooler on it and then transitioned from that to 3 1/2" round to go to my TB. Then I mounted a 3 gal. aluminum tank in the trunk and piped it all in with an inline 3 gpm pump. I tried it out today with just Ice water and it dropped my IAT down at full boost 81 degrees. But what I want to do is replace the ice water with methanol and dry ice. That should be good for the strip but for the street I was thinking could I not weld some piping into the bottom of my methanol tank with the correct size holes in the piping and spray a little nitrous directly into the methanol to cool it down if I needed to? I dont think methanol will freeze and I have the tank vented to the outside of the car. I dont know if anyone has tried this if so please let me know if theres any problems with this setup thanks J
Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm..... No dont spray meth with no2 to cool it. 50/50 mix with your set up now will drop the iats even more. I spray a 50/50 mix on my wot runs with air to air and my iats never approach 100*. I can say that with a air to water it will be better.

Hell I bounce around the ideal of putting a co2 spary bar in a water box and befor a hard run hit the switch and let it cool like that. I think that is better than Ice since the water wont need to be changed. I tryed no2 in a bucket of water it work but, the bubbles carried no2 so I need to create a vent out of the car.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Ummm..... No dont spray meth with no2 to cool it. 50/50 mix with your set up now will drop the iats even more. I spray a 50/50 mix on my wot runs with air to air and my iats never approach 100*. I can say that with a air to water it will be better.

Hell I bounce around the ideal of putting a co2 spary bar in a water box and befor a hard run hit the switch and let it cool like that. I think that is better than Ice since the water wont need to be changed. I tryed no2 in a bucket of water it work but, the bubbles carried no2 so I need to create a vent out of the car.
You dont think I should spray into the methanol to cool it since the methanol never enters the motor? Im not going to spray in to my intake air just my coolant (methanol)
Old 06-27-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

I dont see it as being worth it. Nothing sheds heat like water, Think about it if meth was better than water we all be running meth in the radiator. The best case for u is to spray a 50/50 mix since you dont really have bad intake temps you should gain alot of power that way. If your looking to cool the water even more the add a heat exchanger inbetween your water box and core, That will also shed some heat off the water as well. If you want to still spray the coolant add a bottle of denature alcohol and some water wetter so it wont freeze, but that way you can drop the water to near freezing with the slush.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

I dont see it as being worth it. Nothing sheds heat like water, Think about it if meth was better than water we all be running meth in the radiator. The best case for u is to spray a 50/50 mix since you dont really have bad intake temps you should gain alot of power that way. If your looking to cool the water even more the add a heat exchanger inbetween your water box and core, That will also shed some heat off the water as well. If you want to still spray the coolant add a bottle of denature alcohol and some water wetter so it wont freeze, but that way you can drop the water to near freezing with the slush.
Ok I see what you mean now that makes more sense thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would love to see some pictures of this setup.....
Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Ok today I tried an experiment with 3 gallons of straight methanol in a 5 gal. bucket and took my nitrous bottle and line and put it in it for 30 secs with it barely on and it took the methanol from 86f to -40f so as long as I keep the methanol coolant tank vented to the outside of the car I think what Im trying will work and also it used 1.5 pounds of nitrous to do this
Old 06-28-2010, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuntington101
would love to see some pictures of this setup.....
I dont have any pics yet but I will and will post them up thanks J
Old 06-28-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

You can do the same with water and it will be less corrsive in the long run. Just ad denatured alcohol and water wetter and alittle anti freeze and you will get the same results. Just remeber the type of pump your using will work at those temps.

But thats still a dam good result, next test should be hook up in the car let the intake temps get up and spray it and see how low they would go and for how long they will saty around that temp.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

You can do the same with water and it will be less corrsive in the long run. Just ad denatured alcohol and water wetter and alittle anti freeze and you will get the same results. Just remeber the type of pump your using will work at those temps.

But thats still a dam good result, next test should be hook up in the car let the intake temps get up and spray it and see how low they would go and for how long they will saty around that temp.
If I use water/antifreeze and water wetter that would probably disapate the heat faster and cool back down quicker using less N2O right ? Im an old sprintcar driver and Ive still got a hundred or so gallons still laying around thats why I was looking towards methanol but I think from the test today the more dense the liquid is the quicker it cools because it take the nitrous bubbles longer to reach the top in turn cooling the surrounding liquid I think? Hey I really appreciate all of your help thanks j
Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stngtamr29
If I use water/antifreeze and water wetter that would probably disapate the heat faster and cool back down quicker using less N2O right ? Im an old sprintcar driver and Ive still got a hundred or so gallons still laying around thats why I was looking towards methanol but I think from the test today the more dense the liquid is the quicker it cools because it take the nitrous bubbles longer to reach the top in turn cooling the surrounding liquid I think? Hey I really appreciate all of your help thanks j
Oh wow 100 gallons of meth Im far from a expert im just shooting in the dark with the little i know. But the water- antifreeze- alcohol mix was to chemicaly drop the freezing point of the water. But when it comes to methonal i dont know wich is denser. I have mix meth befor M1 vp stuff with water and there is no visual sighn of the meth in the mix it blends real well. So I think the propteries may be close as far as density. But a side note on safety do u feel comfortable with a couple of gallons of high octaine floating around the front of your car? with nitrous blowing in it? Im not sure what type of meth you have but if u can buy a meth kit to spray in the intake then id say you will be set for some years lol.

Well either way it goes I trully think your on to somthing
Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In for pics of this set up
Old 06-29-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

hmmmm thinking about this i think water would be better than meth. Once you get the water cool it will be able to pull more heat out of the air. maybe you could try the above test with water? anyone know the freezing point of 50/50 water meth?

Is there a cheaper gas that could be used? how about C02? cant you get that to 4000psi? just thinking that as the presure drop would be soo much greater it would beable to cool the water/meth better?..... Could compressed air be used?

Chris.

EDIT: did you keep the 4.5inch procharger intercoolers aswell?..
Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Oh wow 100 gallons of meth Im far from a expert im just shooting in the dark with the little i know. But the water- antifreeze- alcohol mix was to chemicaly drop the freezing point of the water. But when it comes to methonal i dont know wich is denser. I have mix meth befor M1 vp stuff with water and there is no visual sighn of the meth in the mix it blends real well. So I think the propteries may be close as far as density. But a side note on safety do u feel comfortable with a couple of gallons of high octaine floating around the front of your car? with nitrous blowing in it? Im not sure what type of meth you have but if u can buy a meth kit to spray in the intake then id say you will be set for some years lol.

Well either way it goes I trully think your on to somthing
I think Ill just use water/antifreeze because this is still a street car and who knows if someones not paying attention and slams in the back of me and then boom Ive had a bad day
Old 06-29-2010, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

hmmmm thinking about this i think water would be better than meth. Once you get the water cool it will be able to pull more heat out of the air. maybe you could try the above test with water? anyone know the freezing point of 50/50 water meth?

Is there a cheaper gas that could be used? how about C02? cant you get that to 4000psi? just thinking that as the presure drop would be soo much greater it would beable to cool the water/meth better?..... Could compressed air be used?

Chris.

EDIT: did you keep the 4.5inch procharger intercoolers aswell?..
I did keep the twin 4.5's and to tell you the truth Ide like to stay with nitrous or liquid nitrogen because I get it free but Im wondering can you put liquid nitrogen in a nitrous bottle? Also I have some pics (kinda fuzzy) but they are on my blackberry and I dont know how to put them on here
Old 06-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Hey guys Ive got project going on right now and would like some imput. What Ive done is took the plastic procharger plenum off my car and built one like it out of aluminum and welded a 3" x 12" fluidyne cooler on it and then transitioned from that to 3 1/2" round to go to my TB. Then I mounted a 3 gal. aluminum tank in the trunk and piped it all in with an inline 3 gpm pump. I tried it out today with just Ice water and it dropped my IAT down at full boost 81 degrees. But what I want to do is replace the ice water with methanol and dry ice. That should be good for the strip but for the street I was thinking could I not weld some piping into the bottom of my methanol tank with the correct size holes in the piping and spray a little nitrous directly into the methanol to cool it down if I needed to? I dont think methanol will freeze and I have the tank vented to the outside of the car. I dont know if anyone has tried this if so please let me know if theres any problems with this setup thanks J

I dont really get where you are going with this... Are you just trying to get your IATs as cool as you can to just see? Your car can make a wayyyyyy more power putting the meth or nitrous in it vs to just cool the intercooler.

If you are just trying stuff out with extra stuff you had around. I would go with putting the Hydrogen through the 3 gal tank. Hydrogen is the best for heat transfer (from what I was told from a friend thats a nuclear engineer). You can run it at about 60psi and that would be great. I would build the case out of aluminum and run a **** load of copper to transfer the heat out of the water. I dont think that you could fab up something small enough to run it straight through your intercooler. That would be the best if you could do it. I also wouldnt run the methanol in your aluminum tank and inter cooler. Less alone just your regular water pump. It will eat just about everything. Why dont you just run a lot of meth or just make it an alcohol car?

Last edited by haighter; 06-29-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Launching!

I did keep the twin 4.5's and to tell you the truth Ide like to stay with nitrous or liquid nitrogen because I get it free but Im wondering can you put liquid nitrogen in a nitrous bottle? Also I have some pics (kinda fuzzy) but they are on my blackberry and I dont know how to put them on here
As far as I know you can put the liquid nitrogen in a nitrous bottle. Just dont go to high in PSI. I think that most have a fail safe cap at 2800 PSI. You could always build yourself a NANO style nitrous system if you can get high pressure nitrogen and oxygen.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by haighter
I dont really get where you are going with this... Are you just trying to get your IATs as cool as you can to just see? Your car can make a wayyyyyy more power putting the meth or nitrous in it vs to just cool the intercooler.

If you are just trying stuff out with extra stuff you had around. I would go with putting the Hydrogen through the 3 gal tank. Hydrogen is the best for heat transfer (from what I was told from a friend thats a nuclear engineer). You can run it at about 60psi and that would be great. I would build the case out of aluminum and run a **** load of copper to transfer the heat out of the water. I dont think that you could fab up something small enough to run it straight through your intercooler. That would be the best if you could do it. I also wouldnt run the methanol in your aluminum tank and inter cooler. Less alone just your regular water pump. It will eat just about everything. Why dont you just run a lot of meth or just make it an alcohol car?
Well what im trying to do is get sub zero IAT's without have to tune for meth I dont want a pump going out and killing a motor and I have thought about spraying nitrous but my motor is bone stock except for the LS6 intake with 126k on her and I just dont think it hold up with alot of spray.Also I have some pics of this setup but it keeps telling me upload failed any ideas?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

If you get it free then there is no problem! i wa juts thinking for people that haven't got N2O handy what else could be used.

Dose this look like one of those intercooler spray bars but mounted in the water tank? Thats what i was picturing in my head. lol.

Like the idea of keeping the 4.5s. I know that any additional cooling cores will restrict flow further, but its nice to get the temps as low as you can with the ambient air and then try to cool things futher.

Hope you get the pics thing sorted.

Chris.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

If you get it free then there is no problem! i wa juts thinking for people that haven't got N2O handy what else could be used.

Dose this look like one of those intercooler spray bars but mounted in the water tank? Thats what i was picturing in my head. lol.

Like the idea of keeping the 4.5s. I know that any additional cooling cores will restrict flow further, but its nice to get the temps as low as you can with the ambient air and then try to cool things futher.

Hope you get the pics thing sorted.

Chris.
It is basicly a spray bar in the tank and I think CO2 will work instead of nitrous I have a bottle and Im going to try the same experiment with it and will let you know

Quick Reply: water to air for procharged f body