Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need a recommendation for a good intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a recommendation for a good intercooler

Currently have a CXRacing 31x12x3" and I'm making 7psi before the IC and 0psi at the motor. Do you guys have any recommendations on a good flowing FMIC without breaking the bank?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Most people are running ebay intercoolers like CX Racing without an issue. Have you pressure tested the IC at all? It only takes a few minutes and about $5 in parts from Home Depot.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

treadstone makes decent intercoolers for not too much money
Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Pressure tested to 35 psi with no leaks at all.

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Most people are running ebay intercoolers like CX Racing without an issue. Have you pressure tested the IC at all? It only takes a few minutes and about $5 in parts from Home Depot.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Then theres gotta be something else going on man. You should get 1.5psi drop at most from an IC. Id say 80% of the turbo guys on here are running a CX Racing IC.

Im using a Mishimoto, purely because its black. haha. No problems here
Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Have you tested the input/output psi drop on the mishimoto?? The cfm rating is good, and I've tried asking them questions on ebay twice with no response... hard for me to trust a seller that can't respond to basic questions in a timely manner. The 31x12x3" is like $215, which is the in ballpark of what I'd like to spend.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Im not sure of the psi drop since I reference the intake manifold for my wastegate. Im at full spool at about 3k rpms @ 8psi on a t70, so I wouldnt think its much of a drop.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Hehe... there are so many turbo guys out there, and no one really checks the output. If the intake manifold doesn't get enough boost, they just adjust the wastegate to acheive desired boost. My problem = SC spins 1/3 to 1/2 as fast as a turbo, so an intake restriction is a HUGE problem.

I just went and made another vacuum reference a foot after the IC output. Hooked the boost gauge to it and will see what happens tomorrow on the way to work. If i'm getting 0 psi, or even vacuum readings for that matter, this IC is defective. Capped off the reference at the IC input. Already emailed the seller "cxracing" to see if he can do anything. Crossing my fingers.

The good news is the blower makes boost!! I was worried the head unit was junk. I've been driving this car for almost 5 months with this setup, and after spending as much cash as I did, its nice to see the needle pass the 0 mark. Now just need to get that horsepower to the seat of the pants!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by onefastmx5
Hehe... there are so many turbo guys out there, and no one really checks the output. If the intake manifold doesn't get enough boost, they just adjust the wastegate to acheive desired boost. My problem = SC spins 1/3 to 1/2 as fast as a turbo, so an intake restriction is a HUGE problem.

I just went and made another vacuum reference a foot after the IC output. Hooked the boost gauge to it and will see what happens tomorrow on the way to work. If i'm getting 0 psi, or even vacuum readings for that matter, this IC is defective. Capped off the reference at the IC input. Already emailed the seller "cxracing" to see if he can do anything. Crossing my fingers.

The good news is the blower makes boost!! I was worried the head unit was junk. I've been driving this car for almost 5 months with this setup, and after spending as much cash as I did, its nice to see the needle pass the 0 mark. Now just need to get that horsepower to the seat of the pants!
glad to hear the good news.
what kind of supercharger setup do you have?
i have a vortech and ive been looking to a fmic alot lately.
i think im planning on going wit ha cx racing 32x12x4.
there pretty cheap, and alot of people like them.
i dont think the fmic is a restriction, unless it is indeed defective.
goodluck on the situation, and keep us posted.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

I'm running a V1 vortech with a 928 motorsports impeller, 2.75" blower pulley and 6" on the crank. I have a 2.5" on order, will see how much more boost it'll push.

CXracing told me he could offer a discount on the 31x12x4", still awaiting reply on how much. The only issue I have there is my IC is a tight fit where it is, so it will need to be relocated.

Confirmed run today- 2psi max at the IC outlet at 6k rpm. When I shift at redline, gauge spikes to 5psi very momentarily and quickly goes to 0.

Conclusion- This IC MUST be defective. 7psi in and 2psi out = 5psi drop! Going to get a new IC coming next paycheck and see what happens next. I'm leaving my vacuum sources plumbed in so I can see new results with another fmic.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

im going to use the off the shelf 850hp precision FMIC. Also use meth as well, and i think i should be covered to 1000whp when the time comes.

I used to run the OBX $280 FMICs as sold on ebay in all my turbo hondas. They worked great, but the precision units always ran 30* cooler IAT's as compared to my friends cars with similar setups.

Quick Reply: Need a recommendation for a good intercooler