Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

blowing oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing oil

So a buddy of mine with an 02 SS just put on a STS turbo...had it tuned and all runs really strong on 6psi, but when he pushes 8psi it started to push up oil thru and around the bolts that hold the intake manifold down...so we assumed to much crankcase pressure...he deleted the pcv system and went with breathers...still when he gets on it full throttle it pushes oil thru the filters....Any one else have this issue or similar? or atleast some ideas on a fix..

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

where does he have the oil return going?

Does he have a check valve between the throttle body and valley cover?

When you say he went with breathers, where are they located at?

and oil around the intake manifold bolts, thats a new one to me. Just curious how many miles are on that car??
Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

I dont know how oil would come out around the intake manifold bolts...
Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I dont know how oil would come out around the intake manifold bolts...
^^^^

Yeah, does he use one way check valves? Its just common sense that if he had a regular PCV system, that when he goes in to boost, it is going to be pressurizing the crankcase with positive pressure. I would check all of that stuff first. Its the easiest route first.

Lastly, I would check his intake manifold bolt torque, and maybe the gaskets for it. That the only place that it could maybe come up through I guess.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JAX04
where does he have the oil return going?

Does he have a check valve between the throttle body and valley cover?

When you say he went with breathers, where are they located at?

and oil around the intake manifold bolts, thats a new one to me. Just curious how many miles are on that car??
Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
^^^^

Yeah, does he use one way check valves? Its just common sense that if he had a regular PCV system, that when he goes in to boost, it is going to be pressurizing the crankcase with positive pressure. I would check all of that stuff first. Its the easiest route first.

Lastly, I would check his intake manifold bolt torque, and maybe the gaskets for it. That the only place that it could maybe come up through I guess.
I havent the slightest idea about the check valve, but it is a complete STS kit so whatever it comes with it has..it was previoulsy installed on an 02 WS6 which had no issues pushin 10psi on the stock PVC system.

The breathers were used in place of the existing pcv system, so they are placed on the 2 openings coming from the valve covers....my first impression was just bad pcv valves but he went ahead and did the breather thing as it was cheap and worth a shot.

The oil return line is coming back and drops in the place of the original oil fill cap.

Car has 89k miles...that intake gaskets have been swapped as well

Its a strange issue, any one have an idea on how to releave some of the pressure?...cause its not like the oil seeps thru the filters, when he guns it, the bottom of the hood is coverd as well as the motor, in oil.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have capped the pcv elbow on top, and the elbow on passenger side of intake, there should not be postive crankcase pressure unless there is another place. Like I know the ls6 style valley covers have an elbow for pcv as well. That would need to be run into a breather. If oil is coming out of the intake bolts, its either boosted crank, or maybe something is bad.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

I can guarantee there is no one running 10psi on a stock PCV system for very long. Unless your motor is a freak. Ringlands dont like positive pressure.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Teching In

I can guarantee there is no one running 10psi on a stock PCV system for very long. Unless your motor is a freak. Ringlands dont like positive pressure.
the previous owner was running 10psi according the autometer guage for 2yrs...but it wasnt his DD either...that car has maybe 35k
Old 07-06-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

He did not have the stock PCV.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Well he may have been using the STS pcv solution. Most say its crap and I agree. But I do know someone who has Been using on it his gto for 3 years and has run 10-14 lbs on that thing with out single damn issue. His car is a freak. No breathers no nothing. Just the sts Pcv deal. So its possible he got his to work too. Who knows.

Last edited by JAX04; 07-06-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ringlands dont like positive pressure.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rs-inside.html
Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same problem with my motor. Initially the oil coming out the exhaust was an initial oil purge into the tubing from the turbo to the intake of around 500cc oil. Once that was sorted out and cleaned my car was still smoking at boost (part-throttle and full-throttle)....not good.

We removed the oil fill tube and had the oil return feed pissing oil into a separate container while we started the car. We held a piece of paper over the passenger side valve cover oil fill tube and saw it was blowing up intermittently...thought it was a bad ring. Took the motor out and apart, turns out cylinder #7 was bad, melted a portion of the piston and ringland.

I had also deleted the "entire" pcv system and in it's place i hooked up the proper sized clear tubing to the valve cover PCV ports and used oil/air separators from Home Depot. I ran the car with my homemade PCV setup with no restrictions for crankcase pressure and after a 15 minute run had buttery looking crap everywhere in the tubing. Turns out it was the byproduct of poor combustion.

I would want to think that your engine is hooped somehow. Try a leak down or compression test. Or if you have a friend, try the paper over the valve cover oil fill tube and see if you have any blow by.

Best of luck
Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fstr n u
I had the same problem with my motor. Initially the oil coming out the exhaust was an initial oil purge into the tubing from the turbo to the intake of around 500cc oil. Once that was sorted out and cleaned my car was still smoking at boost (part-throttle and full-throttle)....not good.

We removed the oil fill tube and had the oil return feed pissing oil into a separate container while we started the car. We held a piece of paper over the passenger side valve cover oil fill tube and saw it was blowing up intermittently...thought it was a bad ring. Took the motor out and apart, turns out cylinder #7 was bad, melted a portion of the piston and ringland.

I had also deleted the "entire" pcv system and in it's place i hooked up the proper sized clear tubing to the valve cover PCV ports and used oil/air separators from Home Depot. I ran the car with my homemade PCV setup with no restrictions for crankcase pressure and after a 15 minute run had buttery looking crap everywhere in the tubing. Turns out it was the byproduct of poor combustion.

I would want to think that your engine is hooped somehow. Try a leak down or compression test. Or if you have a friend, try the paper over the valve cover oil fill tube and see if you have any blow by.

Best of luck
Man, thanks for this comment, although i didn't originally post it. I thought having oil coming from the exhaust pipes was a normal thing, after boost, until now. Sounds like this is something i need to look at for my car.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: blowing oil