Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Single or Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single or Twin Turbo

What are the pro's and cons of each? I am pretty much a noob on Turbo's and am trying to plan my build.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

twins would be more expensive and much harder to package, and you will need to sacrifice quite allot if you decide to go with truck manifolds like ac, abs, cut the rad support move the alternator, install a bmr turbo k member, relocate the battery, ditch the sway bar, cut the front bumper and bumper support to fit the intercooler

a single would be much easier to do and also cheaper

also look at the stickies for more info in the FI section
Old 07-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

good luck
Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by elias_799
twins would be more expensive and much harder to package, and you will need to sacrifice quite allot if you decide to go with truck manifolds like ac, abs, cut the rad support move the alternator, install a bmr turbo k member, relocate the battery, ditch the sway bar, cut the front bumper and bumper support to fit the intercooler

a single would be much easier to do and also cheaper

also look at the stickies for more info in the FI section
That is pretty much how any truck manifold build is. You don't need a bmr turbo k member for twins either. I know this cause I have twins utilizing truck manifolds.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Id go single turbo. I had 2 different twin turbo kits (CAS & truck manifold setup)...people are making just as much power and running just as fast with a big single. Twin turbo's are more $$$, more maintance, more clutter in the engine bay.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but I like my twin turbo kit. I still have air conditioning,battery is in front, I can get to my plugs. I have also heard the speech about how since on twins you are cutting exhaust flow in half they are going to be maybe just as laggy as big single fed by both banks but in my actual realworld experience my turbos spool up super quick and together can still make huge power more than I will ever need. Power is not my problem,traction is!

But yeah twins are more pricey,and you are doubling things like turbos, blow offs, gates,
more piping,etc.

Singe is definitely effective but have seen some pretty laggy single setups although newer turbo tech like HTA housings is helping out in that area these days.

Mostly I just love the look of seeing peoples faces when they ask me about my 99 and I drop the words. "408 stroker" "twin turbo" "direct port nitrous" .Instant respect and instant fear in many guys running their 400 or 500 hp combos.
Its fun is all I can say.

My kit is not perfect ,they are not made anymore I guess but managed to work thru most issues with it and actually still running the turbos that came with it chinese knockoffs or whatever they are and they are still boosting. New upgraded turbos will go in there sooner or later.
Thos modular kits might be awesome. Not a big fan of a few things they did like water to air but that is just nitpicking.Seems its well thought out kit and if got rid of mine might look at one of theirs.
There is a bit of a drought for brand name aftermarket twin and even single kits for our cars. So you are usually looking at smaller companies or fabbiing up something. I have no fab skills and got burned on small company for 2grand former board sponsor. So went to bigger company this time around.aps kit was not perfect but at least they shipped product, intall was extensive but not overly hard and as said not much relocation at all.
A used aps kit could be a good buy I think.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big single. Either will get it done. Who cares about a little lag when you have 1000hp on tap. Thats when lag is actually desirable.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well disagree a bit. Lag can help out traction but personally not a big fan of it. It narrows the powerband sometimes by huge amount and having say powerband from 5000 to 6500 is not that great compared to 3000 to 6500. Especially on street car not race only car.
I have that type of thing on my 97 talon. 650 hp single that spools up around 3800 on the 2.4 litre upgraded engine.
I am thinking to move this turbo to my race car and get an HTA one for the street talon.
spool up at 3000 or so would give me nice 3000 to 7500 powerband and that 1000 or so is nice around town.
You can of course downshift if you are in higher gears and get pretty quick spool and you can use stategies like antilag and two step in manuals and two step and converter in autos to build good off the line boost but just going up the gears normally around town is where the real big singles annoy me. But then guy can go for bigger engines like 427 or use small shots of nitrous for quicker spoolup.

Lots of options but as said I like my twins a lot.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Unless its a small turbo feeding a bigger one to get rid of lag I would just build a single set up. I think twin turbo's is a bit overkill its cool but really a bit into the completely wasting money. And if you have problems there is more to deal with.

Just what I think, you can get the same results with a single and its cheaper.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
That is pretty much how any truck manifold build is. You don't need a bmr turbo k member for twins either. I know this cause I have twins utilizing truck manifolds.
i would like to see some pictures of how you fitted two 3 inch downpipes over the stock k member

routing under the k member is just BS, will never do that on my car
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turbo-faq.html

Quick Reply: Single or Twin Turbo