Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

milky oil?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milky oil?????

Ok I have a 2009 zo6 ls7 vette with a 6 pound vortech kit on it. Car is tune and was running great until I got it to about 180 on the highway. The car started to blow oil back through the air filter and now my oil is all milky after I changed it. I did have to add some antifreeze and the car did go to 230 on the temp once but since I added coolant the temp hasnt been above 195. The spark plugs are all burning good and the car still runs like a champ even with the milky oil lol. Could I have lifted a head being its a bone stock ls7 motor?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cracked cylinder
Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Head gasket. Coolant and oil make for a milky mess. You can confirm this with a radiator dye test.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
cracked cylinder
even if the car is still running good and the compression is fine?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

typically detonation breaks the ring land and the check breaks the cylinder.Seen this more than once on ls7's.Sometimes it takes a while before it shows up on a compression test.6 lbs isn't near enough to push out a head gasket.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM

typically detonation breaks the ring land and the check breaks the cylinder.Seen this more than once on ls7's.Sometimes it takes a while before it shows up on a compression test.6 lbs isn't near enough to push out a head gasket.
How would I have gotten detination if the tune and everything was dead on?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ls7vette
How would I have gotten detination if the tune and everything was dead on?
dead on by whose standards?I've seen quite a few engines break pistons after being tuned by professional tuners.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 PM

dead on by whose standards?I've seen quite a few engines break pistons after being tuned by professional tuners.
I wish I still had my dyno sheet to show u but I know it was done right. Now I know and understand abusing **** like I did will cause stuff to happen. I just didnt think I could crack a cylinder especially being the spark plugs I pulled out look great. Thats why I thought I had just lifted the head. Is there any chance that thats what I did or what u said is basically what I did.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:16 PM
FormerVendor

I wish I still had my dyno sheet to show u but I know it was done right. Now I know and understand abusing **** like I did will cause stuff to happen. I just didnt think I could crack a cylinder especially being the spark plugs I pulled out look great. Thats why I thought I had just lifted the head. Is there any chance that thats what I did or what u said is basically what I did.
the dyno sheet doesn't mean it's done right-how much timng is in it?I've seen guys break pistons in n/a ls7's.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:27 PM

the dyno sheet doesn't mean it's done right-how much timng is in it?I've seen guys break pistons in n/a ls7's.
16 is what it has at wide open throttle. Ok so if I have a cracked cylinder what test can I do to find out if thats it?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 PM
FormerVendor

16 is what it has at wide open throttle. Ok so if I have a cracked cylinder what test can I do to find out if thats it?
pressure test your cooling system,pull the sparkplugs out disconnect the coils and injectors and spin the motor over-coolant will come out of the faulty cylinder.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel pumps dying, running out of fuel.....all of these can have the same effect too.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Iagree dont think 6psi will blow a head gasket, Has to be the other with you know it more money. Dont drive the car on any long trips when it goes you will be done.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. Done any more investigating yet?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:17 PM
SKI
11 Second Club

Pull It.............Your Done.............
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

That sucks, man sorry to hear that.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Addict

do you have some sort of oil to water cooler or an the car ?
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm usually oil in coolant is from cracked head, cracked block,blown head gasket or maybe wrong head gasket or head gasket sealing problem.
I had big coolant into my oil when first fired up my new 408 and aps kit. Caught it right away as was checking things religiously but still put lots of coolant into the oil but not vice versa. Was worried it was block or head gasket or head but it was my turbo.It uses oil and water cooling and one must be internally cracked letting coolant mix with oil.

As said other thing might be if your setup uses some type of water cooling for the oil and its getting in that way. But otherwise head gasket, cracked block or cracked head.
When you detonate you usually break ringlands. But didn't think this would usually put water into oil. just usually lots of oil starts coming out tailpipes.

I have seen many stock engines mostly ls1s with broken ringlands at pretty low boost. I think timing is likely most important variable more than boost which varies tremendously according to the FI setup. 6 pounds thru a huge turbo or super is not same as 6psi thru a much smaller one. Totally different airflow and power at that same 6psi.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cracked cylinder, 10000x The Ls7's cylinder wall thickness Isnt ideal.

Also to the OP.. you can get any car dead on, On a DYNO. As soon as you took it on that crazy high speed run, factors came into play that dont on a dyno.. I.E. wind resistance, which will put more load on the engine and will change A/F.

Pressure test the cooling system on a warm engine.

Btw.. It may run fine on Milky oil, But Im betting your bearings arent enjoying it as much.

Goodluck with the rebuild.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Launching!

pretty expensive 180 miles lol. who tuned it ? just so i know what shop not to take my car to.

Quick Reply: milky oil?????