Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger vs Vortech..Few Qs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Procharger vs Vortech..Few Qs

Iv got a 2000 Firehawk. Been thinking of the idea of putting some forced induction on it for awhile, and now I think Im more serious. Been Looking at the D1s. But heard good things about Vortechs kit also! I had fun with the Cam only running 11s but now its time to go faster! Looking to make around 550-600 if possible..

Iv got an LS6 Crate with the MS4 Cam (will get a custom cam)

42lb Injectors

Fast 90/90

Walbro 255

12 Bolt w 4:56s/ 28in tires

Im sure Ill have to get 60lb injectors, but will my stock rails and Walbro be enough to support it?

What about intercoolers? Do I need them or one big one? This is a street driven car that sees the track every now and then. Iv looked on Prochargers and they sell them with out intercoolers...Not sure whats needed there..Kinda new to this part of going fast!

Will my 4:56s hurt me for racing at the track??

Procharger seems to be the most popular, Who has what and what do they like?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am far from an expert on all the Q's you raised, but I can weigh in a bit based on my experience. I bought my '98 SS with the Vortech blower on it. Overall it seems to work very well. The biggest caution I have on the Vortech is that they apparently discontinued the kit for our cars (someone in another thread mentioned maybe around the beginning of this year) so you can't get anything out of them in terms of parts/support.

As was just mentioned in another thread, intercooling is all about IAT's. I recommend a front mount air-to-air intercooler for your application. It's more efficient and simpler for street use. At the track there is definitely an advantage with air to water if you're using ice or whatever else to cool, but if you're not into messing around with ice water on the street you can't go wrong with an A2A FMIC. From what I've heard, Vortech adopted their A2W system simply because Procharger already had A2A FMIC's and they didn't want to look like followers.

Here's a list where procharger did head to head testing between two procharger systems and one vortech. Now the big difference is the Vortech kit is NOT intercooled at all for their testing, but you can see the effectiveness of intercooling from their results.

http://www.procharger.com/h2hdt.html

And here's a great PDF about intercooling - http://www.turboneticsinc.com/sites/...tercooling.pdf

Oh, and 4.56! Holy crap! Do you think you can keep rubber on?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

as stated above, the vortech kit has been discontinued.
i have a vortech kit aswell.
they are both very capable kits and i can say that my kit has not given me a single problem. and my car is my dd. but i would also agree with going A2A intercooled as it will not give you any problems what-so-ever. i currently have a A2W setup from vortech and it is kind of a hassle. aside from that, no complaints at all.
i would aslo recomend going a bigger headunit then a g-trim, because they are limited to around 600 or so. go t-trim or ysi so that you have room to grow. if you ever want more power, just run a smaller pulley.
seems like eveyone is procharged, so you will have more support if going that route, and im sure parts are super easy to find. the way i look at it, the main difference is where the supercharger sits. the vortech setup is ontop of the motor kind of giving it a showcar look, and prochargers are kind of hidden, but still visible.
ither way, i dont think you could go wrong with boost.
you might also want to look into a forged bottom end as well. haha.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Default ttt

If you ever thinking of going more than 400 cu get the YSI unit or F1 unit will make you over 850 rwhp on either of the units above. Just keep the comp down under 10:1 . I have a YSI unit on my car with ls2 with 402 cu and making almost 860 rwhp with less than 16 psi on a Mustang dyno behind a auto trans. Love it also. In the high 9,s on street tires in the 1/4 mile.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Iv got a 2000 Firehawk. Been thinking of the idea of putting some forced induction on it for awhile, and now I think Im more serious. Been Looking at the D1s. But heard good things about Vortechs kit also! I had fun with the Cam only running 11s but now its time to go faster! Looking to make around 550-600 if possible..

42lb Injectors

Fast 90/90

Walbro 255

Im sure Ill have to get 60lb injectors, but will my stock rails and Walbro be enough to support it?

What about intercoolers? Do I need them or one big one? This is a street driven car that sees the track every now and then. Iv looked on Prochargers and they sell them with out intercoolers...Not sure whats needed there..Kinda new to this part of going fast!

If you have the Walbro 255 high pressure pump them it will be enough pump for a non forged engine.

Stock fuel rails will be just fine.

4.56 gears with 28" tires should work if the rev limiter is around 6800 rpm.

I have some info at this link that may help you out.
https://www.brutespeed.com/prochargers.htm

The ProCharger D-1SC system with the twin 4.5 inch intercoolers is what I would go with. I offer a complete system minus the tune at this link.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-D-1SC...F-Body-Kit.htm

Here is a link to an older copy of the installation instructions from a customer that I sold a ProCharger system to many years ago.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...mfEQcUC1A9OeBQ

Let me know if you have any questions. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

I bought a Vortech gtrim a couple of years ago and have not had a single problem with it and just upgraded to a t trim. That being said if I was starting from scratch I would go with Procharger only because I don,t believe Vortech gives a rats a$$. Luckily there are a couple places(RCMR for one) that sell upgrades and parts for the Vortech.That probably does,nt help much but I feel better now. They are both good you just don,t have the support with Vortech.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

i have the kit that BOB from Brute speed is talking about and i love it..I have a D1Sc twin intercooler kit on a 347 and i made 580+ with a 8 lb pulley..I dont dd mine but i drive it whenever its nice and i drive it hard..Its gotta be worth somethin if everybody has gone the procharger route.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone know if the Vortech Kit will clear the Firehawk hood..
Old 07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone know if the Vortech Kit will clear the Firehawk hood..
pretty sure it will. birds have more underhood clearance then camaros.
well, specially z28 hoods.
although i love my vortech kit, i do agree that you would be better off with a procharger setup. theres no vortech support, everything is hard to get a hold of, and its not common. ive never seen a vortech kit on another car in person besides mine..(im only talking f-bodies)
but make sure you go bigger headunit!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Launching!

I do all the dyno work for RMCR. I know that they just finished a new Kit that mounts the supercharger low on the driver side. It will fit up to a YSi on it once Vortech releases it sometime this year in a self contained version.

I just dynoed one that did over 700 RWHP with a V-3 t-trim.

They designed this kit as a far better replacement to what Vortech was offering. Do a search and you can find there products.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

It seems like every time I get something bolted up on my car something better comes along. oh well the Ttrim will have to do for awhile
Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Moz
Launching!

42lb Injectors

Fast 90/90

Walbro 255

If you do decide to go the D1SC route,you may want to consider 3:73 gears.I had 4:10's and had to carry the RPM's to 6900/7000 to stay in 4th thru the traps.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fatmat80
i have the kit that BOB from Brute speed is talking about and i love it..I have a D1Sc twin intercooler kit on a 347 and i made 580+ with a 8 lb pulley..I dont dd mine but i drive it whenever its nice and i drive it hard..Its gotta be worth somethin if everybody has gone the procharger route.
Thanks, I appreciate the order! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Moz
If you do decide to go the D1SC route,you may want to consider 3:73 gears.I had 4:10's and had to carry the RPM's to 6900/7000 to stay in 4th thru the traps.
What size tire? Radial or bias ply?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Moz
Launching!

What size tire? Radial or bias ply?
M/T Drag Radial -325-50-15

Quick Reply: Procharger vs Vortech..Few Qs