Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Coolant temp and possible ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temp and possible ideas?

I've been working on tuning my car and found that my coolant temps are reaching around 220 during just cruising. A local shop suggested that I get these down to the 185 range and the car will run much better. I agree with this because heat kills a turbo cars performance. As far as my cooling system goes I have dual fans on a shroud on off was around 200-205 from my old tune. I dropped this to 180-185 and lost an instant 10 degrees of coolant temp leaving me at 208 but still over 25 degrees over my goal. I still have the stock tstat installed which i am thinking about removing as the car warms up very fast. Do you guys think that will drop it more or am I overlooking something else? Shouldn't have air in the system as I have a expansion tank as the high/ fill point. Car boosts a lot better around the 180-190 mark and as it climbs from there the engine sounds much more dull and throttle response falls on its face.

I welcome any constructive comments!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can find a 04 Vette or truck water pump theromstat get it.

the housing will accept a standard SBC T-stat so you can quickly change it from a 180* or 160* dependin on your need.

I would say the T-stat is what is keep the temps above 200.

Quick Reply: Coolant temp and possible ideas?