Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Difference between BOV and bypass valve??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difference between BOV and bypass valve??

I have a universal BOV on my vortech SC, and i'm when shifting in boost it doesn't release air (don't hear the woosh). I've played with the "soft-hard" setting with no change. I've noticed that vortech sells a bypass valve (not a BOV), so i'm thinking I've gone about it all wrong. Do I need a bypass valve instead of a BOV? Any recommendations on where to get one? Car will never run more than 10psi if that matters.

Thanks,
James
Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A BOV or blow off valve opens at a set pressure, and releases the excess pressure. A BPV or bypass valve is open under vacume and seals and closes under boost pressure. Because superchargers create air the whole time, a BPV releases this air when in vacume and its not being used. As soon as you use more throttle and start to come out of vacume is closes and the system creates boost.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Thanks. This is my first car with a SC, so i'm learning. I've built turbo cars before and I'm finding out it's 2 different worlds.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok a little confused. i have never heard of a BOV set to open at a set pressure. they work the same way as a bypass valve just that they are closed when the engine is in vacuum and the change/difference across the valve or in vacuum is what opens it.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A BPV will not open once it comes into boost..the only way it will open is if you let off the throttle. A BOV releases excess system pressure. Superchargers create a lot more air at idle and low throttle conditions. BOV's can be set to release at a certain pressure...if desired.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
A BPV will not open once it comes into boost..the only way it will open is if you let off the throttle. A BOV releases excess system pressure. Superchargers create a lot more air at idle and low throttle conditions. BOV's can be set to release at a certain pressure...if desired.
Wrong, BOV's will open under vacuum only, and can not be set to "pop off" pressure.

The only real difference is the fact that a bypass stays open until ~0KPA is sensed from the motor, where it then closes off and lets the blower push all of the air into the motor. A BOV will stay closed until high vacuum comes from the motor and overcomes the spring in the valve.

A BOV with a very weak spring will work similarly to a bypass valve.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhorizon
Wrong, BOV's will open under vacuum only, and can not be set to "pop off" pressure.

The only real difference is the fact that a bypass stays open until ~0KPA is sensed from the motor, where it then closes off and lets the blower push all of the air into the motor. A BOV will stay closed until high vacuum comes from the motor and overcomes the spring in the valve.

A BOV with a very weak spring will work similarly to a bypass valve.
Correct. If a BOV pops off pressure under boost, that means that you dont have enough spring in it.

Quick Reply: Difference between BOV and bypass valve??