Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo V6 help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo V6 help!

I am looking to get a cheap turbo for my V6 firebird. I understand that it would be best to get an LS1 or LT1 car if I want the power, but I plan on driving this car to the ground. Please do NOT tell me to sell it or get a V8. I will in the future, but not now.
First off, is there anyone who can vouch for the GT45 or T70 clones on Ebay? I know paying 300-400$ for a turbo I will get my moneys worth. But for a universal kit, what all should I look for? Example,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...item5ad907b83b
It is 900 dollars for the full kit. Would it be better to get
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GODSP...item5888cfc3cb
for 300 and buy the rest in pieces? once again, please don't get on to trash talk. Either help or move on. I also plan on putting nitrous on the car, among a few other mods. Is there anything that would help/i need to get with the turbo as far as car mods?thanks for the help!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those kits generally require a BUNCH of fabrication and by the time you are almost done you bought more parts to get the "KIT" to work.

Do more research and create your own kit you will save time,headaches and most of all your hard earned cash.

If you cannot weld find a fabricator that will help you for a nominal fee since no one likes to work for free. Then find someone to tune it for you.
MP70 is a decent turbo for the money
piping,flanges and u-bends
Tial or ? wastegate
ebay intercooler(just intercoolers) is good to deal with
36-50lb injectors
255 LPH pump
custom log manifold

just to name a few parts to get you started,there is plenty more to go
just remember "Attention To Detail" makes a difference....
Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cheap and FI should never be said at the same time. For our cars there is a heavy price to going FI even on rear mounted set ups.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Garr
...I also plan on putting nitrous on the car, among a few other mods...
Honestly, I would go that route. If you plan on swapping the motor later on, all the fab work that you do on your current setup will have to be re-done. A nitrous install would be MUCH easier and you could resell or transfer the nitrous kit when you go turbo. If you were inferring that you're going to run turbo AND nitrous on your current motor, you'd better have one seriously built up 3800...and iirc the 94 models got the 3400 which is a dooooog (I know, I had one).

If you're dead set on going turbo now, have you though about a rearmount setup? That would be much easier to incorporate with your current and future motor plans.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NightHawk
Honestly, I would go that route. If you plan on swapping the motor later on, all the fab work that you do on your current setup will have to be re-done. A nitrous install would be MUCH easier and you could resell or transfer the nitrous kit when you go turbo. If you were inferring that you're going to run turbo AND nitrous on your current motor, you'd better have one seriously built up 3800...and iirc the 94 models got the 3400 which is a dooooog (I know, I had one).

If you're dead set on going turbo now, have you though about a rearmount setup? That would be much easier to incorporate with your current and future motor plans.

Do just what he said... buy yourself a used STS kit or make one on the cheap side.... less work, no modding of engine bay. All you need is a smaller sized turbo and slight modifications to the charge pipe. Grab an intercooler, good tune, some injectors and an upgraded fuel pump and look to be out of pocket about $2000 to 2500. If you source your own parts then it will be even cheaper... BTW check the Zombie threads about the quick spool valve and twinscroll turbos while you are at it.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

A HY35 would be a decent turbo for that project, but the issue is, that little 3.4L is sorta a turd when it comes to horsepower.

Swap a 3800 in and we'll talk.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darkhorizon
A HY35 would be a decent turbo for that project, but the issue is, that little 3.4L is sorta a turd when it comes to horsepower.

Swap a 3800 in and we'll talk.
Start here:
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...?searchid=4719

You can also swap 3400 v6 parts, 3400 motor and or 3500 motors, top ends, and etc to make up that power. The 60 degree V6 has alot of bolt on options. I think A 94 3.4 vehicle will need a PCM change or standalone engine mgmt. There may be some other tuning options available.