Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS vs custom build

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS vs custom build

Would it be be cheeper/better to build my own remote system, or buy the STS kit?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CajunZ28
Would it be be cheeper/better to build my own remote system, or buy the STS kit?
If you have skills and a welder then yes! It does not cost that much to fab charge pipes. If you want reassurance that it is all going to be working correctly then just buy the kit and be ready to roll. Search the forum and you can see.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STS is poo compared to building your own. Even paying someone to do it would be better. You can tuck stuff up further than the STS. The STS pcv system is crap. The size of the STS piping is very small and wont support much HP. There are a lot of silicone couplers on an STS system. When you do your own you can eliminate a lot of those to minimize your chance of boost leaks. I had an STS on my Avalanche and I will NEVER buy one again.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Staging Lane

I am goin to build my own remote mount system. i here too many negatives on the STS
Old 07-29-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Resident

I say build your own!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TurboAv
STS is poo compared to building your own. Even paying someone to do it would be better. You can tuck stuff up further than the STS. The STS pcv system is crap. The size of the STS piping is very small and wont support much HP. There are a lot of silicone couplers on an STS system. When you do your own you can eliminate a lot of those to minimize your chance of boost leaks. I had an STS on my Avalanche and I will NEVER buy one again.
The first gen kits from sts did have some bug's in them but the kit's they are putting out now are much better then before..i see this all the time about people say'n the kit's are no good and dont make much hp and that is just not true. My 04 gto has been boosted for over 4 yr's now and i love the kit. I am running it on a stock motor.. The only motor work done is 60 lbs injectors , springs and pushrods.. the car is on 10lbs on pump gas and make'n over 600whp. I am running a bigger turbo but on the 61mm turbo the car made 522whp at 640 tq... but if there is anything you would like to know about the kit's give me a call....Rich
Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

if you had gto, id sell you mine

Rich is gonna love this... LOL
Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Teching In

i know you wouldnt be to far behind me lol...
Old 08-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

so the price would be close when comparing the two options. Power made is close. so i guess th equestion is.....blood, sweat, and tears or the easy way?

I sweat every day, blood is always good, and tears...well i am a ginger so i have no soul!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CajunZ28
so the price would be close when comparing the two options. Power made is close. so i guess th equestion is.....blood, sweat, and tears or the easy way?

I sweat every day, blood is always good, and tears...well i am a ginger so i have no soul!!!
i chose the easy way because this is may daily driver.... but if this was just a weekend car, i would have done it myself because i would have engineered it differently and i would have had the satisfaction of doing it myself. I don't think you can go wrong either way though. Best of luck on your project!

Quick Reply: STS vs custom build