Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Oil Tank and Pump...Anyone using this idea?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Oil Tank and Pump...Anyone using this idea?

I am running front mount twins and due to lack of space it is going to be difficult to drain oil to oil pan/ timing cover etc. I was thinking of making a resevoir for both turbos to drain into and then use my TILTON scavenge pump to pull oil from bottom of resevoir and push it to the pan.
Is anyone using anything like this or do you even think this will work. I'll post a pic of my build for reference.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of people using scavenge pumps, only downside is adding another potential part to fail. Tilton is usually good stuff though.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

I'm with black96ws6ta, Just another part to potentialy fail. What about using a resevoir with a breather cap and still retain it being gravity fed? But again the vapor coming up may prevent the oil to drain too.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I was thinking about that idea something like this too on my Chevelle project, but I was thinking about a dedicated reservoir tank not connected to the engine at all and the pump to feed the turbos with a gravity drainback. That would eliminate the downside of engine blowby and you can change the turbo and engine oils independently. You could even run different grades and types of oils in each. It would keep the engine oil temps down too which is always a plus. I was concerned about oil heat with prolonged driving though since it will not be cooled by the engine anymore, but an inline oil cooler should hopefully solve that.

Is this feasible?

BTW, love the turbo setup on the car 25thredrs. I see tags on the headers but tacked on pieces where the collectors would be. Is that a custom set of headers or an off the shelf set from somewhere?

Good luck with the project, I hope I didn't hijack your thread. Just seemed along the same lines of thought.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOUR TURBOS are high enough for gravity drain, id keep it that way, you can find room to route.
also the entry point pump or not should be above the oil level.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Your right I can probably find room but there is not much...should I try to o to the pan or the timing cover? Any check valves in the lines?

Btw: these are off the shelf stainless works up and forward turbo headers..I had to clearance them around the ps pump and the brake proportioning valve but other than that they fit great and easy access to plugs and other nonsense.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 PM
9 Second Club

those turbos are in a great spot for a gravity drain, make it that way.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

I hope I can make it work it's just that the way the downpipes are routed they are kind of in the way..
Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 AM
TECH Resident

I was thinking about doing this on my chevelle so I could mount my turbo really low. I was gonna do it just like ratical was saying pumping oil to the turbo with a standalone oiling setup. One big positive would be that in the event of catastrophic failure you would not contaminate the oil of the other system. I was planning on using an electric inline pump and this is what deterred me from this setup seeing how I have replaced a hundred electric pumps and never a had a total oil pump failure I decide that it would not be reliable enough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Oil Tank and Pump...Anyone using this idea?