Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS system concern

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS system concern

I have a sts system and i got it out of the shop about a month ago, i have a forged 370 with diamond pistons, afr 225 heads, the works. Now when i drive the car oil is shooting out of the tailpipe when i drive it. I am thinking my sts oil pump has malfunctioned because this happened last year and i had to get a new pump. What is going on? Oil pressure is fine just shooting oil out the tailpipe. The other night i had to pull over because my oil pressure dropped when the oil level dropped. Is there a high performance sts pump you guys recommend. I have put a good combination together, the car put down 686 rwhp and 790 torque on mustang dyno, and i dont want to mess my engine up. What do you recommend?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

thankfully my pump hasn't crapped out on me yet, but i've read that the pump sts provides in the kit isn't very good. i don't know about others but mine has a pump flow switch "low/high" i was told to keep it on high... i don't think it will hurt the motor, probably just the turbo. don't get discouraged over it...
Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Default Sts pump

Thanks for the encouragement, I will talk with the speedshop on Monday to see if my pump has a low/high switch. I feel a lot better
Old 07-31-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mocal makes an HD pump that is pretty nice. Everyone seems to be jumping on the turbowerx pump which looks to be one of the best options. Shurflow makes a decent one as well but is not nearly as good as the other two. Don't get another STS brand replacement pump though.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My $0.02

Originally Posted by SSFAST
I have a sts system and i got it out of the shop about a month ago, when i drive the car oil shoots out of the tailpipe. I am thinking my sts oil pump has malfunctioned because this happened last year and i had to get a new pump. What is going on? Oil pressure is fine just shooting oil out the tailpipe. The other night i had to pull over because my oil pressure dropped when the oil level dropped.
For your consideration:

If your cold piping / intake side has oil in it, then the problem may not be that the pump does not move enough oil, but rather the oil pushes past the turbo's seals prior to the pump. If this is the case, then an oil line restrictor may be the solution. $20 and 15 minutes worth of work may just fix your problem.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Default Sts pump

Well the car runs fine at idle, its when I start driving it, that the oil shoots out the tailpipe as if the pumps about to kill over. This car went through about 15 pulls on the dyno after the new engine was installed and never a problem and oil pressure is fine, so thats why I feel the pump is going bad. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ran a Reverso pump on my STS kit for two years on the high setting with no problems. It was about $180 and it worked great. It could be your check valve too so I would check that out first. Clean all of your piping and turbo housing out then start the car for a minute. Shut the car off and check all of the piping to see if anything leaked by while it was running. If it did its probably the pump. If it is fine let the car sit over night then check the turbo housing to see if it pooled with oil before you start it. If it did its your checkvalve. That's where I would start.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
I ran a Reverso pump on my STS kit for two years on the high setting with no problems. It was about $180 and it worked great. It could be your check valve too so I would check that out first. Clean all of your piping and turbo housing out then start the car for a minute. Shut the car off and check all of the piping to see if anything leaked by while it was running. If it did its probably the pump. If it is fine let the car sit over night then check the turbo housing to see if it pooled with oil before you start it. If it did its your checkvalve. That's where I would start.
+1 on the check valve if it dumps oil after sitting overnight. I upgraded mine to a turbowerx pump also as it is a much stronger pump. Also, make sure your relay is not crapping out intermitantly (ask me how i know). I have since gone to a self contained oiling system and never looked back. Best of luck!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ust-pipes.html

I posted the above a couple years ago. This should provide some info regarding your problem.

Quick Reply: STS system concern