Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me pick a BOV, Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help me pick a BOV, Questions!

Im getting confused with the set springs in the bovs that im seeing and i was looking at the tial but cant make up my mind im going to be running anywhere between 15lbs-22lbs of boost/750-900 hp from the get go. and was just wonderin on the bov. cx racing includes a greddy type bov with their intercooler kit. (probobably a pos)
I was looking at the tial 50mm and it has a .9bar spring in it but does this mean i can only do up to like 13-14lbs with that?! someone set me straight im a lil confused.

also where can i buy the bov flange for which ever one i get?

thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the bov spring doesn't limit your peak boost, it has something to do with how it responds, and on the Tial, an aluminum flange comes with it.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 AM
TECH Resident

As far as i know the wastegate spring is the least amount of boost you can produce.....

But im sure somebody who knows what there doing will chime in.....
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Restricted User

the BOV spring will affect your boost level if not properly setup. I use a JGS 60mm blow off valve and it comes with 3 springs. i started with the lowest and it was being forced open at 3 psi. so i went with the next hardest setting and so far it wont force it open up to 10 lbs. i use a CX racing intercooler and it's great! most blow off valves will come with a flange.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
Im getting confused with the set springs in the bovs that im seeing and i was looking at the tial but cant make up my mind im going to be running anywhere between 15lbs-22lbs of boost/750-900 hp from the get go. and was just wonderin on the bov. cx racing includes a greddy type bov with their intercooler kit. (probobably a pos)
I was looking at the tial 50mm and it has a .9bar spring in it but does this mean i can only do up to like 13-14lbs with that?! someone set me straight im a lil confused.

also where can i buy the bov flange for which ever one i get?

thanks
BOV's have a vacuum/boost reference port on the top of them. Vacuum assists it to open and boost helps keep it shut. Your BOV should never open under WOT, if it does, add another spring. It's sole purpose in life is to get rid of the boost quickly when you slam the throttle shut. Without it, you could bend the throttle blade or blow apart your cold tubing at the couplers. It serves no purpose in regulating boost. It's an on/off thing.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome thanks guys as far as a single bov goes which would be the best suitable?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Restricted User

awesome thanks guys as far as a single bov goes which would be the best suitable?
It's the least precise component. Not really a critical decision. You'll be safe with any of the premium brands. Tial, JGS, Turbosmart, etc.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
BOV's have a vacuum/boost reference port on the top of them. Vacuum assists it to open and boost helps keep it shut. Your BOV should never open under WOT, if it does, add another spring. It's sole purpose in life is to get rid of the boost quickly when you slam the throttle shut. Without it, you could bend the throttle blade or blow apart your cold tubing at the couplers. It serves no purpose in regulating boost. It's an on/off thing.
I agree just getting it to work correct at low rpm. Need to clean it or pull it apart ever few thou,s miles and do a good clean up on the inside of it.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 AM

The 50mm Tial is on my Subaru and it's pushing 30psi lol.

It's the most commonly used on high boost cars for the quality and reliability.

I like the SARD r2d2 since it's so loud and makes the "ideal" BOV puuuusshhh sound
Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of my buddies are running super sequentials. They're nice because they are self adjusting. You never really have to mess with them.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Restricted User

mine was being pushed open at WOT. I couldnt figure out why i was only making just under 3 psi. added a spring and fixed it.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

get a Synapse. great stuff
Old 08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

The bov has nothing to do with your possible peak boost levels, if your bov is actulay cracking open under boost then it seems your boost signal is very weak. It should be at least 1/4" id reinforced. In a tial 50mm, the springs are supposed to be tailored to your engines vaccum readings, so if your engine only produces 14in of vacuum and your running a 11psi spring (which on their recomended spring chart says goes with an engine producing 21in vacuum if memory servs correctly) your engine won't be able to open the bov and that's not good for your turbo.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Blow off valve spring pressure has nothing to do with boost, it is the spring pressure required to overcome engine vaccum and keep the valve shut at idle/cruise, as you make boost the boost ref on top of the valve will keep the valve shut until you let off the throttle.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

It's the least precise component. Not really a critical decision. You'll be safe with any of the premium brands. Tial, JGS, Turbosmart, etc.
Super ding, ding, ding for the win.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well frozen boost has them from like 40 dollars the knock off ones? will this work?! i mean as long as i get the right spring in there then why should it matter?

anyone have any experience with the knock off bov's?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Restricted User

well frozen boost has them from like 40 dollars the knock off ones? will this work?! i mean as long as i get the right spring in there then why should it matter?

anyone have any experience with the knock off bov's?
I've used a knock off wastegate before and it was a total leaky POS. Granted that the WG is way more important. Just antee up the money for a good one. The JGS is good, cheaper than the others, and made in the USA. I now run their WG and LOVE IT. I run a Tial 50mm BOV on mine. What really sucks is buying a POS knock off, having issues and then having to buy the good one after all. That's how it becomes more expensive to buy cheap.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

exactly.... but what brand of the knock off did u buy?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

exactly.... but what brand of the knock off did u buy?
I think the correct answer is "none are good". A BOV is one of the most resonibly priced priced componemnts of a FI kit. In the same vein and 98Z28CobraKiller's lesson, I bought a generic BPV for my first Procharger kit I put together. I couldn't get it to open right and had some serious compressor surge, screwed with it for a couple weeks, broke down and and bought a Vortech Race BPV. Installed it and never touched it again. I liked the reliability so much that I used the same BPV on a few other Procharger kits I put together and still use one today on my twin turbo kit.

Rick

Quick Reply: Help me pick a BOV, Questions!