Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Finally some track times!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Finally some track times!

I was finally able to take the car to the track last Saturdy and get some times down. I did not finish tuning the car. I got kicked off the track for not having a helmet, Jacket, and cage! Sweeet!

It still has too much lag for the tree. I was running time only and if I let loose of the transbrake on the light I never had any boost. Running 1/8th mile it finally made boost right at the end. But if I stayed in the transbrake until it made 6psi, i cut a 1.57 60ft, and with 12psi of boost it ran a 7.0 in the 1/8th at 95mph. I was still tuning on it. I did not get to play with the timing or anything and I did not get to make a full 1/4 mile pass. I do have vidoe of it lifting the front passenger tire off the ground about 3 inches for about 3 feet. Thats when they shut me down. It turned out to be a great night at the track. We ran until 3am, I love the track at night.

So I guess I still have lag issues. I am going to look into putting some nitrous on it to get it to build boost faster. I am thinking of like a 50 shot while on the brake and let it turn off after I release the trans brake button or maybe set up a hobbs switch to turn it off at 5 psi of manifold pressure. the way our tree works is after both cars turn on the second light the computer counts the tree down fast. You really have very little time on the line.

This winter I will move the turbo up front and see how much lag it has in it then.

I tried the 2 step out, it hurt the lag. I also tried playing with the boost controler but it did nothing for the lag. Any thoughts?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Congrats man, its nice to see all your hard work pay off.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a 10.92 et converted. Have to find different conversion site for mph.
Decent 60ft as well.
Pulling the wheels I am sure was big fun.
And yeah you need rollbar for under 11.5 at most NHRA tracks firejacket and for sure helmet under 13.99 think it is.

I guess its your rear mount. I can build boost super easy on my two step and my aps twins. I have no transbrake and think have two step at 3500 right now. With yank py 3400e stall. 3.54 gears. A 50 shot would likely help you a lot.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I would like to see more boost on the line though. It took like 6 seconds (looking at my reaction times) to get it up to 6psi. I still have alot of work left to do. It hoks very well with 6psi and the launch rpm is like 4500. I would like to see 10psi or maybe a little more. I think it would hold 10psi at launch. I often wonder just how much of a difference it will make moving the GT-88 from the rear to the front. I hope it will be worth the effort. I really am dreading the work involved. It is not like I have anything else to do.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car really come on hard on the big end. I bet if I could have made a 1/4 mile pass it would have been in the 10.50 range. Once I get it up to 17psi, low 10's should be easy. My old times before the trans brake was 7.7 in the 1.8th, 2.01 60 foots, 11.67 at 128mph at 12psi. I cut a good half second off the 60 foot mark, and 7 tenths at the 1/8th. I bet I would have shaved a good 1 second off the 1/4 mile ET. Yeh, 10.60-10.5 is what she would have ran. Still it is not were I want to be. I want to go up to 17psi and see if I can get her down to a high 9. I just need one pass at 9.99 with the time slip and the video and I am done. I want to join the elusive 9 second club . If you notice I am still just a "Tech Fanatic". I will not change it until I finaly make it into the single digit club. I have been a member here for 7 years now, so maybe by 2017 I will finaly get in the 9 second club HAHA!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So what happened on the 2 step? You say it made lag worse? As in it didn't help spool on the tbrake? That doesn't make sense.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I have been traveling.

It just held the rpm at 3500, it did not help to make boost. It did not pop or anything either. It just started a soft mis and held the rpm right at 3500.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was going to post a video of the runs but I guess that is not possible. I did put it on my Face book. The FB is Donald Scott Graham.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
It just held the rpm at 3500, it did not help to make boost. It did not pop or anything either. It just started a soft mis and held the rpm right at 3500.
It's not supposed to pop on a 2 step. Bummer your combo doesn't work. At 3500 rpms on my 2step I build around 10psi in 2 seconds and could go 1.4 60's if I could hook the power (I think I can now).

You really need to get that turbo up front, you'll be much happier.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, I even tried pulling timing out of it while the 2 step was on. I am going to move it up front this winter. I hope that does it for me. In the mean time I am going to go ahead and install a nitous kit on it. I am thinking of having it activated by the t-brake button and turn off with a Hobbs switch set for 5psi or so. I am not sure yet how to go about the nitrous.

I am thinking the problem with my current combo is the charge pipe from the turbo to the front mounted intercooler is only 2.5". It has allot of bends in it too. I think this is causing restriction. It might also explain why I have to use 22psi of waistgate springs to get 12psi on the manifold. My new setup will have 3.5" charge pipe from the turbo threw the intercooler and to the TB. I have that piping right now. I am also going to go to 2.25" hot side piping from the manifolds to the turbo. I think the large exhaust pipe I currently have is hurting as well.

Small charge pipe, large exhaust, rear mount and large turbo is not the ideal thing to do, or at least thats what I suspect. We will see next year.