Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

after shutdown bearing lube

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default after shutdown bearing lube

Is anyone running an accusump type deal to feed a BB turbo oil after shutdown since they spin for ever with no oil pressure? Will they flow oil through a restrictor on the turbo without the pump pushing on it? seems like easy insurance to maintain the turbo, just curious how well it works.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
Is anyone running an accusump type deal to feed a BB turbo oil after shutdown since they spin for ever with no oil pressure? Will they flow oil through a restrictor on the turbo without the pump pushing on it? seems like easy insurance to maintain the turbo, just curious how well it works.
Idle down before shut off. We test this, even shutting down at 3000-4000-5000 and 6000rpms. As long as you idle down you will be fine...also allow the oil temps to come down if you have been driving hard. You don't want the oil to coke onto the shaft and piston ring area of the turbo.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Idle down before shut off. We test this, even shutting down at 3000-4000-5000 and 6000rpms. As long as you idle down you will be fine...also allow the oil temps to come down if you have been driving hard. You don't want the oil to coke onto the shaft and piston ring area of the turbo.
I'm building a turbo setup for my car and am new to all the turbo stuff, so if you have to idle down before shutting the car off to keep oil to the turbo, how do you do plug checks to make sure the tune is right on all cylinders? As a nitrous car, I used to cut it immediately after going through the traps and get towed back and pull the plugs and make sure all the fuel rings and timing straps looked good. Is that only a ball bearing turbo that you have to let wind down before cutting the motor? Thanks for any help man!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
I'm building a turbo setup for my car and am new to all the turbo stuff, so if you have to idle down before shutting the car off to keep oil to the turbo, how do you do plug checks to make sure the tune is right on all cylinders? As a nitrous car, I used to cut it immediately after going through the traps and get towed back and pull the plugs and make sure all the fuel rings and timing straps looked good. Is that only a ball bearing turbo that you have to let wind down before cutting the motor? Thanks for any help man!
well you should let any turbo wind down and let the oil cool off before cutting the motor, regardless of journal or ball bearing. my concern with the BB is that they spin for a few minutes after shutdown, longer than a journal, although they also require slightly less oil than a journal bearing from what ive read, dont quote me on that though. Someone else will have to chime in about shut downs for plug checks, im sure once in a while would be okay, I mean in the motor lost oil pressure you would have to shut down, I just wouldnt make it a habit.

Quick Reply: after shutdown bearing lube