Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear Mount Turbo??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Mount Turbo??????

I'm thinking about putting a turbo on my car but i don't know a hole lot about turbos but i know the basics. What i am wanting to know a little more about is where everyone that is running rear mounts is getting oil from and where they are returning it and where they are running the pipes from the exhaust back and the intake piping back up. PICKS would also be a BIG help.

I have a 04 model LQ4 with 317 heads. planing on running truck manifolds and looking for 500+ hp
Old 08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a remote oil filter and a Moroso oil pan. I pick oil up after the oil filter and run it to the back. I use a Mocal oil pump to run it back up front. I tigged a return port into the passenger side of my pan up as high as I could get it. I take it you are working with a F-body. I used a dual exhaust pan-bar to make more room for the charge piping line. I ran the charge pipe right next to the exhaust and around the drivers side of the Ypipe. I the relocated my alternator and I ran the charge pipe over the engine craddle and out were the alternator was. From there it turns to the passenger side and goes around to the intercooler. I removed my front bumper, built a bracket and installed my intercooler were the bumper was. I am now ditching the rearmount and going to move everything up front this winter. This weekend I will try and get the car up in the air and snap some picks to post up for you.

I do have one piece of advice, don't waist your time with rear mounting it. I have waisted a year with mine now. It works, but once you go to a 88mm turbo, the lag is rediculous and almost impossible to get rid of. My .02 cents.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
I have a remote oil filter and a Moroso oil pan. I pick oil up after the oil filter and run it to the back. I use a Mocal oil pump to run it back up front. I tigged a return port into the passenger side of my pan up as high as I could get it. I take it you are working with a F-body. I used a dual exhaust pan-bar to make more room for the charge piping line. I ran the charge pipe right next to the exhaust and around the drivers side of the Ypipe. I the relocated my alternator and I ran the charge pipe over the engine craddle and out were the alternator was. From there it turns to the passenger side and goes around to the intercooler. I removed my front bumper, built a bracket and installed my intercooler were the bumper was. I am now ditching the rearmount and going to move everything up front this winter. This weekend I will try and get the car up in the air and snap some picks to post up for you.

I do have one piece of advice, don't waist your time with rear mounting it. I have waisted a year with mine now. It works, but once you go to a 88mm turbo, the lag is rediculous and almost impossible to get rid of. My .02 cents.

All depends on the setup for rear mounting.

We have two well known customers of ours on this site with street cars and GT88 and GT91's rearmounted....no problems. longrange4u has his setup awesome, as does STEALTH TURBO C5...those are two of the standouts..... one is in the 9's and the other in the 8's.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

And don't forget there are other things involved with the lag of a rear mount. I think elevation will play into it some. I am at 4000 feet with a normal summer DA of over 7000 feet. I also think part of my problem is the sizing of the piping. I went with 2.5"y pipe which might not be a problem, but then I went into a 3 inch I pipe to the turbo. I am sure this was a mistake due to lowering the velocity and giving the exhaust more time to cool down. I also ran 2.5" an the charge side all the way to the front mount intercooler. You can see in my scans the manifold pressure is low before I start making boost, like 87KPA, so I think the 2.5" and all the bends was not the way to go there. I should have done the charge side in at least 3" if not 3.5". Leasons learned you know. It works, its just the lag is not exceptable for the tree I run on. I still think mounting it up front is the way to go. I would still run small exhaust piping and large charge piping. I am going with 2.25" on the exhaust this time and 3.5" on the charge pipe.

I am not saying it will not work, just it will work much better up front.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
And don't forget there are other things involved with the lag of a rear mount. I think elevation will play into it some. I am at 4000 feet with a normal summer DA of over 7000 feet. I also think part of my problem is the sizing of the piping. I went with 2.5"y pipe which might not be a problem, but then I went into a 3 inch I pipe to the turbo. I am sure this was a mistake due to lowering the velocity and giving the exhaust more time to cool down. I also ran 2.5" an the charge side all the way to the front mount intercooler. You can see in my scans the manifold pressure is low before I start making boost, like 87KPA, so I think the 2.5" and all the bends was not the way to go there. I should have done the charge side in at least 3" if not 3.5". Leasons learned you know. It works, its just the lag is not exceptable for the tree I run on. I still think mounting it up front is the way to go. I would still run small exhaust piping and large charge piping. I am going with 2.25" on the exhaust this time and 3.5" on the charge pipe.

I am not saying it will not work, just it will work much better up front.

Yeah dude.....4000 elevation plays havoc.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

check my build out if you like.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I built a whole self contain oiling system, gravity drained with a return pump and adjustable feed pressure from roughyl 20 psi to 85 psi constant.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
I built a whole self contain oiling system, gravity drained with a return pump and adjustable feed pressure from roughyl 20 psi to 85 psi constant.
How many quarts is your self contained oil system? Does it go through a cooler? What pump and regulator? I've had the feed line break before and it almost killed the engine, so I'm very interested in this setup.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

I also built a custom stand alone oil system for my twin rearmount turbo system! 8 qt. tank, RBRacing Pump, and Restrictor valve to control oil pressure! Mine has been going for a while now! Also last fall when my 5.3L self Destructed with 20 psi it saved the oil system and turbos from being contaminated!!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

i know old, but any news since then? ive been honing and taking ideas to make a very hidden and clearanced setup. almost no pipes under the car

Quick Reply: Rear Mount Turbo??????