Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

First turbo build. Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First turbo build. Couple of questions

Ok. Just picked up a stock 5.3 truck motor. I was thinking i would like to do the truck manifold setup. Its going into a 1980 Z28. I would like to get about 500 rwhp. Do you think this is doable with the stock motor? What turbo would you recommend? MPT 70 or 76? Will i require an intercooler? Will i need to upgrade the injectors? Trying to keep cost low as this is my first try and if i find i get bored of it i can sell one of my other engines and go bigger later.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Okay SSZ, since no one else has dove into this yet, lets have a little bit of the blind leading the blind and see what we come up with!

I am currently building an LS1 for my 98SS, so we're both in the same boat kinda.

I'll answer your questions one by one, and then gradually as the guys with thousands of posts straggle in they can critique my answers or suggestions. This can be a learning experience for both of us!

#1.)
Q: What turbo would you recommend? The MPT70 or MPT76?
A: From what I've heard and read, and been told, they are both excellent turbos for small frame turbo builds like ours. The 70 can support a whole assload of power beyond the 500 you desire. I believe on a T4 flange its supposed to be good in excess of 600rwhp. The T4 flange'd (as opposed to T6) MPT76 can support far beyond that. I'm not certain, but to answer your question, I'm sure you'd be happy with the MPT70. Thats what I'm planning my build on.

#2.)
Q: Will I require an intercooler?
A: Any serious effort to compress ambient atmosphere is going to result in a heating of the compressed fluid (air is a fluid) and will need to be cooled off. That is the job of an intercooler. I am planning on using a 31"x12"x3" (wide x high x thick) FMIC (front mount intercooler) to cool my boosted LS1's incoming air, even though I only plan on running 6psi. Yes you should intercool it.

#3.)
Q: Will I need to upgrade the injectors?
A: Absolutely. This is a must. Debates can be had about what size injectors you should go to. I would argue that 60 lb/hr injectors would be the best, but thats because I'm a guy that would rather not run smaller injectors super hard to meet the fuel requirements of a boosted LSx. The more boost (air) you add, the more fuel you will require to maintain a safe AFR (air to fuel ratio). If the motor goes lean under boost, the temperature on the surface of the piston will become a small model of the sun for a moment, and then you will get to remove your bottom end from the oil pan with a magnet. Bad juju.

#4.)
Q:I'm Trying to keep the cost low (this is a question without being a question)
A: Do your research. There are a lot of good stickies, and posts, on this forum that have GREAT information in them. I am currently building a DIY Truck Manifold Kit using a 70mm turbo for my LS1. Our power goals are the same (500rwhp) and I'd like to achieve that using 93 octane. Something you should consider additionally is that you will be required to use a larger fuel pump (to be safe) and Walbro 255lb/hr intank pumps go for about $100 on some sites. I plan on having my entire turbo kit, minus fuel system and tune completed for >$1400. Im building it in my drive way with basic hand tools.

a great resource for you is the brain of Rob @ Modular Turbo. He would probably have a problem with you taking his brain, but He is a member of LS1Tech (ModularTurbo is his username) and his business is one of the site sponsors that we're proud to have. His phone number is 252-562-3899. Give him a call. He's a blast to talk to! Ask him about his nasty bad all wheel drive eclipse or his turbo fbody. Super great dude. Down to earth, and well... smart as smart can be about this stuff.

also you can add me as a friend in your user control panel, and I'll help you with answers you might need or help you find cheap parts.

We can get through this together!

-Brett (ubermachine@hotmail.com)
Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you haven't installed the engine yet put some ARP rod bolts in. Those are the weak link. Just get the Ebay CX racing intercooler. They are cheap and they work. They have a 31x12x3 and a 31x12x4.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSZ
Ok. Just picked up a stock 5.3 truck motor. I was thinking i would like to do the truck manifold setup. Its going into a 1980 Z28. I would like to get about 500 rwhp. Do you think this is doable with the stock motor? What turbo would you recommend? MPT 70 or 76? Will i require an intercooler? Will i need to upgrade the injectors? Trying to keep cost low as this is my first try and if i find i get bored of it i can sell one of my other engines and go bigger later.
Im no genious, but, If i can use a p1sc on a stock 4.8 and achieve over 500, you should be able to do it no problem with a turbo.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you get a blow off valve as well. Brand name preferred not knock off. Think those turbos have internal gate so you shouldn't need external gate.
You will of course not be running an intank pump you have a 1980 car. You will simply run external or mechanical whatever. Think you can megasquirt or something if you don't want to maybe use ls1 type ecu? Not that familiar with old swaps like yours.
Turbos are not that hard to do really. Especially if guy has good fab and welding skills. I don't so just bought a prebuilt kit and installed it.

I have seen some decent homebuilt type setups at local track and they ran good. One local guy on third gen with sbc and master power was running low 11s at like think it was 125mph and pretty sure he could have done 10s with a bit more boost and tweaking.Nothing wrong with that. And he didn't put that much into the build really either.

Have fun...I always wanted to turbo my old 2nd gen 400 pontiacs.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Make sure you get a blow off valve as well. Brand name preferred not knock off. Think those turbos have internal gate so you shouldn't need external gate.
Masterpowers dont have internal gates, atleast none i have ever seen. You would need an external wastegate, i would recommend either TIAL Turbosmart, i have a Turbosmart myself and it holds my boost really well on my rearmounted MP 70mm

Quick Reply: First turbo build. Couple of questions