Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How strong is the LSX 376

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
I would like to personally thank everyone who took it upon themselves to derail a thread about a motor and voice whatever was on their mind from how much they spent on their build, how doomed a 6 speed was at this power level, to the economic impact of people buying crunchy peanut butter over creamy. In this thread titled, "How strong is the LSX 376" which now has about 50 replies 15 of them dealt with the title or providing info on finding a strong built short block.

That being said, I was under the impression that the T56 once built was a lot stronger than it obviously is. In light of that and me really not wanting to go auto I have decided that I will dial my goals back. Instead of shooting for 9.0s and 1k I am shooting for low 10s. Maybe I can achieve that on much less power, and the transmission will live once built. I have also decided that this motor (the LSX 376...the reason this thread was started in the first place) wouldn't be best suited for me because I want something very durable. So I have contacted ERL (awaiting an email of build sheet) Va Speed (left message on Monday....no callback yet) and just sent AES a PM about them maybe building me one of their motors. Hopefully I can get the ball rolling in some sort of direction very soon. To MightyMouse and Tiago thank you for the first hand experience, to anyone else offering your opinion based on no first hand experience and solely on what you think you thought you might have heard.....go enjoy some peanut butter
Merry Christmas to you too.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Your welcome, and all info here was first hand experience, 3 clutches and 2 built trannies toasted in a 1 month time span and nowhere even near 1,000 hp at the time and I said **** the stick, it's time for the auto. Like I said earlier, just trying to help you out before you make the same mistakes and have to learn the hard way and blow a ton of money that didn't need to be. Anyways, good luck!
what exactly broke on the trans?

ppl state over and over again the t56 breaks but only tiago showed what broke. How do we know the so called built t56s are actually decently built?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Teching In

TO the OP, I purchased the GM LSX376, changing cams, plan on putting 16-18lbs of boost on it. It goes in on Monday "this Monday", not sure how long the install will take but I will let you know. LS3 heads are fine IMO, have seen MANY very high HP vettes running stock LS3 heads.. Hell porting them only picks you up 15-20rwhp..

perhaps you should just PM me since this thread is going no where or has a single person who actually has this engine and are just speculating..

Last edited by trenaman; 01-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trenaman
TO the OP, I purchased the GM LSX376, got forged rods to put in it, changing cams, plan on putting 16-18lbs of boost on it. It goes in on Monday "this Monday", not sure how long the install will take but I will let you know. LS3 heads are fine IMO, have seen MANY very high HP vettes running stock LS3 heads.. Hell porting them only picks you up 15-20rwhp..

perhaps you should just PM me since this thread is going no where or has a single person who actually has this engine and are just speculating..
Buying a new crate motor to change the rods is retarded.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Quik
what exactly broke on the trans?

ppl state over and over again the t56 breaks but only tiago showed what broke. How do we know the so called built t56s are actually decently built?
It's been over 6 years that i've had the auto in the car and at that time I wasn't doing my own work on the car, so i'm not really sure what it was, just know that 2 out of the 3 times that I had a clutch explode on me in that month time span the shop I had working on it said there was tranny damage and it had to be rebuilt. After that third time I put a turbo 400 in the car and took it to what I thought was a buddy of mine to have the tranny installed and he ******* wrecked my car, spun it out and put the rear quarter panel into a tree and after that I said **** this, nobody touches my car again and started learning how to work on it and tackling everything myself (which I am really glad I did, otherwise I could never afford to have someone do all the work that I do and pay for the parts and the car would still be slow. Doing the work yourself saves a ton of money).
Old 08-29-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Buying a new crate motor to change the rods is retarded.
Very much so, and not to mention the fact that if i'm not mistaken this motor comes with a stock crank, so then again, you really don't want to push that too much farther than 1000hp. After spending the money on rods and the money it cost to rebuild it (if you can't do it yourself), you could probably build a better motor cheaper with aftermarket crank and all.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:08 PM

Default It could definitely handle 1000-1100hp

Swap the rods and whatever else you feel like. I think it was hot rod magazine put something online and it was a LSX376 crate engine making 1000hp+ with a 78mm turbo. It came with a whipped supercharger and then they swapped to turbo. The suggested max boost was only 15psi and they pushed it all the way to 29psi with supercharger

Quick Reply: How strong is the LSX 376