Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default What am I missing?

Hey guys, been thinking about making a thread like this for at least 6 months now, but I decided to do more and more research and make a lot of calls (Still nowhere NEAR done, sadly, wish I knew everything) so that I don't look like an idiot. I'm an 18 year old guy whose had a v6 Firebird for a year now, and sometime in the next year or year and half Im looking to overhaul EVERYTHING. I'm probably just going to sell the v6 and pick up a '00+ black Trans Am and go from there, but not much of that car will remain stock for long as well. My goals are mainly street use with a little but of track time. I'd like to shoot for high 9's, and once I've done that I'll be satisfied. Hp goals are ~800 hp. I've spent almost everyday for several hours a day researching like crazy on here and other forums and I think I may have an idea. Here's a list of all that I'm thinking about going with, what do you guys think? I'm certain there's issues I'm not seeing, so I thought I'd ask the pros.

Engine:

402 CI LQ4/9 block
Custom Diamond or JE pistons
Callies Compstar Crankshaft (debated between this or Dragonslayer, is it worth the extra few hundred?)
Eagle H Beam connecting rods
Either a FAST or Vic. Jr Intake
AFR 225 heads (not sure which cc, don't know enough yet )
Chromeoly pushrods
NW 90 mm Throttle Body (haven't looked much into this, YET)
Unsure about the cam at this point

Boost:

ATI Procharger F-1A @ 18 PSI, twin intercooler setup

Fueling:

(Throw me a bone on this one, I really have tried to learn more about this without always asking questions, but it's still kinda confusing)

Either the Nasty Performance or Lonnies Performance kit, can't really tell which would be better. I'm actually not sure what to completely do about that, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Suspension:

I pretty much know what I want here, too lazy to type it all out haha, so many parts. I know I need a great suspension if I want to hook the car at all though

Transmission:

Stuck between a 4L80E or a T56. Ive spoken to a few pros on here and they all told me the same things. I don't want the car to feel like a slug at anything under WOT with an auto, but I also don't want a T56 to break, and Ive heard the most common issue with the T56s is the gears themselves breaking, and an upgraded gearset is like 5k

Tuning:

3BAR SD Tune -- That sound bad to anyone?

Exhaust:

Kooks 1 7/8" headers
Magnaflow catback
Custom Y

I want the compression ratio to be about 9.5:1 or so, give or take a little, and I'd like to keep all accessories. Since it'll be a street car, I might even add in a nice sound system (no heavy subs in the back) and some Dynamat.

My knowledge is not infinite and my build is definitely not bulletproof, so some suggestions would be really helpful. My original reason for this thread was about the Procharger itself. I want the power of the F-1A, and normally the whistle of a procharger is like crack for my ears, I'm unhealthily addicted, but its so damn LOUD. I don't have a problem with it as much as everyone else I know would. I can't believe I'm asking, but is there a way to slightly dampen the sound? I want it louder than a D1SC though, this sucks. The step up ratio on the F series is a fair amount higher and with the race bypass, it'll only get louder, so I appear to be SOL.

Normally I'd get a D1SC, but for 800+ hp or so, that's really pushing the blower to unsafe limits once it gets into the higher PSI range. Any input is appreciated, thanks! (*Waits for ppl to come in and say an 18 year old shouldn't attempt this task*) Like I said guys, I fantasize about this car everyday and I can scrape up the funds for this and school as well
Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Forgot to add Methanol Injection to the list I'll be running plenty of that
Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start saving.... i and the idea i could go turbo for about 5k..

5k later and i still dont even have a running motor... still missing stuff here and there

when she is done i will be at the power level you want.. i am goin with the 4l80...
that much power and a stick car = really hard to hook..
and you really dont miss a gear in an auto...

forced induction isnt cheap but the end is worth it to me so i can wait to have my 4000 lbs pig runing up there in the 9s with a/c powersteering and everything

keep your mind at it and build a beast...

good luck
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Haha Ive already been saving and I still have a ways to go. Gonna be awesome. Is there anything with the things I had chosen on the list that should be changed for something better though?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Making a list of stuff for a car you don't have yet...
Why not take it one step at a time and actually get the car before planning every detail
Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

I have a car though

Besides, it's better to plan far ahead of time and know exactly what you want so you have a clear goal in mind (at least for me it is) besides, in the meantime, it's good to read and research, ask questions and know what you're going to do.

Anybody else though? I was expecting more responses
Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you are going to buy a car in a year and a half. I think its stupid to ask everyone for a plan that will probably never happen.

Step 1: buy car
Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

I meant to say I might have a different car, would probably be easier starting with something other than a 98. And if you think it's stupid, then don't comment. I've been planning and saving for this for nearly a year, so whatever you think about it happening or not, it's going to happen. I learned to drive stick shift in a procharged car and 1 of the ppl in my household owns a Procharged Camaro and I can't stop thinking about it or loving it. I'm determined to have one. Besides, plenty of ppl have setups just like that if not more powerful, what makes you think I won't? Because of my age?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Bump?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:08 AM
Launching!

sounds like you should just build the car you have, and put the money you would have bought another car with into a motor and trans. then do your blower
Old 08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

That's what I was originally thinking, but these damn 98's have these little quirks, and I really want the trans am body parts and I want it to be black, and to make this car like that would offset the cost of selling it to buy a black one. And I want the ebony leather interior too
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Not a single person? I'm surprised
Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

....it is slow at work so here you go.

Ditch the twin intercoolers go with a FMIC.

Stay with FAST intake - it will meet your needs

For fueling go with a twin intank walboro or big external (like A1000).

Use 60lb mototron injectors

Get a set of QA1's for on stock springs for suspension. Subframe connectors, torque arm, lower control arms.

Strap a set of MT drag radials.

If you want to run an ET ditch the T56 and get a T400 with a 4500 stall. If you want to drive your car keep the T56 and get a good twin disk clutch.

Put a 9" in the rear with a 3.6 to 3.73 gear

3 bar tune will work fine - install an onboard WB and tune with HP tuners or EFI live - learn to tune it yourself.

Make sure you have a velocity merge on the kooks headers. Custom Y with pre-fab Y merge. Install a cut-out for the track - then you can stick whatever muffler you want on it.

The F1A is going to be loud - pull up your panties - this is a 9 sec car afterall.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that the reason that you aren't getting feedback is that this looks like pie in the sky. The natural progression of things isn't 200hp v6 to 1,000 hp v8 without alot in between. Right now you are crawling. Next you learn how to walk. Then, you learn how to run.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I believe that the reason that you aren't getting feedback is that this looks like pie in the sky. The natural progression of things isn't 200hp v6 to 1,000 hp v8 without alot in between. Right now you are crawling. Next you learn how to walk. Then, you learn how to run.
Well its not like this is the only car Ive ever driven or worked on. I have experience with one Procharged car. It makes about 520 to the wheels, not 800 I know, but there arent a lot of 6-700 cars around here to learn on. Ive been crawling with my own car for a year, but when I sit in the seat of that Procharged Camaro or another faster car, and then get back into mine, I feel like Im regressing, and I hate it.

Originally Posted by NoGo
....it is slow at work so here you go.

Ditch the twin intercoolers go with a FMIC.

Stay with FAST intake - it will meet your needs

For fueling go with a twin intank walboro or big external (like A1000).

Use 60lb mototron injectors

Get a set of QA1's for on stock springs for suspension. Subframe connectors, torque arm, lower control arms.

Strap a set of MT drag radials.

If you want to run an ET ditch the T56 and get a T400 with a 4500 stall. If you want to drive your car keep the T56 and get a good twin disk clutch.

Put a 9" in the rear with a 3.6 to 3.73 gear

3 bar tune will work fine - install an onboard WB and tune with HP tuners or EFI live - learn to tune it yourself.

Make sure you have a velocity merge on the kooks headers. Custom Y with pre-fab Y merge. Install a cut-out for the track - then you can stick whatever muffler you want on it.

The F1A is going to be loud - pull up your panties - this is a 9 sec car afterall.
Thanks man, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I definitely would love to tune this thing myself, knowing how to tune is an invaluable school. I was told to run only MT drag radials at the track, and I want this thing to be mainly for street, so this transmission issue is killing me.

I thought the 60 lb injectors would be maxed out with the power and fueling I was planning, do you think they'll suffice? As for the QA1s, I heard they're basically a strictly drag suspension setup, I had looked at the Hal QA1 coilovers, do you think they'd do well on the street too?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about you learn how to handle a 300hp car first, since you have a v6 Firebird and have been driving a max of 2 years.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/12321597-post1.html

The setup your talking about is not only expensive for an 18 year old with a $16 an hr job, but completely insane if you actually think you can make it down the track in it at WOT.

Save yourself a huge hospital/funeral bill and actually get a v8 first.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Well its not like this is the only car Ive ever driven or worked on. I have experience with one Procharged car. It makes about 520 to the wheels, not 800 I know, but there arent a lot of 6-700 cars around here to learn on. Ive been crawling with my own car for a year, but when I sit in the seat of that Procharged Camaro or another faster car, and then get back into mine, I feel like Im regressing, and I hate it.
Christ, I missed this post.

Have you even taken that "520rwhp" car down the track at WOT? or has you mommy/daddy just let you take it around the block?

Good luck, I hope you have good medical insurance.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

your missing a box of diaper for the ride! cuz your gunna shat your self!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

**** with that build list I'd save your money and go finance a vette.

Why not do a LQ9 6.0L with a D1SC? That would make plenty of power, it would be much, MUCH cheaper. It still will make plenty of power and should hold together while you learn to drive a car that makes that much power.

You could also do a 4xx stroker build for literally 1/4 of the cost of that and still make 500+rwhp. That is enough for mid 10's or better with good suspension.

Jumping from where your at now to 800rwhp is going to be crazy, and I'd be willing to be money you wrap it around a tree. That amount of power is NO JOKE on the street. I could spin drag radials on the freeway with 500rwhp.

T56 is going to be a pain in the ***. They are expensive, clutches are expensive, and an auto would be quicker.

With the build you listed there, that is AT LEAST $20,000-$30,000 cash. Whatever you have everything priced at out, times it by 1.5 and thats what its going to roughly cost. I'm not trying to be a dick when I say this but I've been in your position and unless you have a seriously bad *** job at 18 years old, you will not be able to afford this build.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

LMAO he doesn't have a bad *** job he's making something like 16 bucks an hour...
We've been laughing at him on Norcal LSX.

Quick Reply: What am I missing?