Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin rear mount feed lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin rear mount feed lines

I'm trying to figure out what feeds I need for some rear mounted gt35rs. Will a single AN-4 work split into a T with an AN-4 going to each turbo? I guess the question here is will an AN-4 line supply enough flow to the rear of the car for 2 turbos? I'm trying to minimize complexity as I already have to plumb coolant and an oil return back there.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coolant too huh. that sucks man. good luck with the build. any reason you choose coolant of oil/air??
Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a DBB turbo without coolant lines for years and never had a bearing problem. I don't like over complex.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by killernoodle
I'm trying to figure out what feeds I need for some rear mounted gt35rs. Will a single AN-4 work split into a T with an AN-4 going to each turbo? I guess the question here is will an AN-4 line supply enough flow to the rear of the car for 2 turbos? I'm trying to minimize complexity as I already have to plumb coolant and an oil return back there.
I don't see why the -4 won't work.... My gt35r's have a tiny restricter orfice for the oil feed so it does not move too much oil through them anyway. I ran -6 for the coolant lines and it has worked well for me. I have heard more than one person doesn't even run water to them and they said no issues. Best of luck
Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not worried about the coolant, that should be easy. I'm mostly concerned with the oil lines, so if a single -4 works, thats good enough for me.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyRR
I don't see why the -4 won't work.... My gt35r's have a tiny restricter orfice for the oil feed so it does not move too much oil through them anyway. I ran -6 for the coolant lines and it has worked well for me. I have heard more than one person doesn't even run water to them and they said no issues. Best of luck
correct me if im wrong, arent the water cooling part of the turbo meant to slowly cool the bearings after you have but the turbo under heavy load? i have read a few place that you could not run them and use a turbo timer or simply just take it easy on the car before you shut it off. im not 100% positive on this info but maybe some one can confirm or deny.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Coolant lines are used in lots of factory turbos because the turbo heat can coke the oil onto the bearings in the turbos. With water cooling them, the oil never gets to the coking temperature and won't foul the bearings. Also, think about how small the oil restrictor is on a ball bearing turbo. It would basically have no chance of cooling the turbo like a dedicated water supply would.

Also, lower operating temps are good for turbo lifespan, but I would think a turbo timer would definitely help a oil cooled turbo.

Quick Reply: Twin rear mount feed lines