Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default some of our new engine packages

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...-packages.html
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn those setups are making my mouth water.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Wow.... I need to either win the lottery or marry into money. Very nice shawn
Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Wow.... I need to either win the lottery or marry into money. Very nice shawn
You can get more done in 20 minutes at the altar than you can in a life time of hard labor.....if you can just get along with the bitch
Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<faints>
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all do respect Shawn, I'm pretty sure most guys in here can't afford a $30k motor... What do you have for us "average Joes"?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
With all do respect Shawn, I'm pretty sure most guys in here can't afford a $30k motor... What do you have for us "average Joes"?
forreal
Old 09-15-2010, 09:16 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

VA speed offers packages from Mild to Wild, Believe it or not there are guys charging more than Shawn for engines of the same caliber and getting the money all day long. Their precision machining and attention to detail is what sets them apart from the others. Believe it or not most engines in the 7 second range are 25-35k builds. The cheaper ones dont last.

If I can find the money I'd like to upgrade to the RHS block and a 4.125" stroke crank.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you're looking for something more "average joe" i'm sure that they can hook you up.

and this 25-35k that phil is talking about isn't always going to have the sheetmetal intake, dry sump pump etc
Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by brandoz28
if you're looking for something more "average joe" i'm sure that they can hook you up.

and this 25-35k that phil is talking about isn't always going to have the sheetmetal intake, dry sump pump etc
100% correct, we have found skimping in these 2 areas will lead to higher cost fixes down the road.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

but seen a lot of cars with 2000 hp and was more expensive i would say thats a good price really. But what about the average joe like said above. even buying a 10 grand engine would kill me but would do it. How much does a kidney go for nowadays.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Way to make me feel like **** about my 350hp

Do you think my ten bolt could handle 3000hp? Lol
Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
FormerVendor

we certainly have more budget minded engines.These engines have been the highest demand lately-this is the reason for the packages.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
we certainly have more budget minded engines.These engines have been the highest demand lately-this is the reason for the packages.
I'd say the engine your building for me now is a high output yet more budget minded build.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
VA speed offers packages from Mild to Wild, Believe it or not there are guys charging more than Shawn for engines of the same caliber and getting the money all day long. Their precision machining and attention to detail is what sets them apart from the others. Believe it or not most engines in the 7 second range are 25-35k builds. The cheaper ones dont last.

If I can find the money I'd like to upgrade to the RHS block and a 4.125" stroke crank.
I'm sure everyone in here believes that in order to "play hard, you gotta pay hard"

I also believe everyone in here knows what Shawn is capable of building, no one's disproving his abilities, but I think he could make make more "profits" if he were to advertise engine packages of like 370, 402, 408, 414 and so on with reasonable prices (or not, because we know what we're paying for with you)

100% correct, we have found skimping in these 2 areas will lead to higher cost fixes down the road.
I know you know your stuff, but the things listed aren't really necessary if you don't just run the car down the strip 10 times a week. But for those of us that don't do that, spending $3k on a intake set up IS NOT NECESSARY on a "street cruiser". Nor will that intake be the reason why my 4XX motor made 1500hp and not 1800hp IMO.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dam those are some badass motors right there
Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Launching!

Nor will that intake be the reason why my 4XX motor made 1500hp and not 1800hp IMO.
An intake manifold has a dramatic effect on engine performance and very well could be the reason why your 1500hp motor isn't making 1800hp. I agree the cost isn't always justifiable, but when you are putting together a 1500-3000hp engine why would you skimp out on a vital component.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

I'm sure everyone in here believes that in order to "play hard, you gotta pay hard"

I also believe everyone in here knows what Shawn is capable of building, no one's disproving his abilities, but I think he could make make more "profits" if he were to advertise engine packages of like 370, 402, 408, 414 and so on with reasonable prices (or not, because we know what we're paying for with you)

I know you know your stuff, but the things listed aren't really necessary if you don't just run the car down the strip 10 times a week. But for those of us that don't do that, spending $3k on a intake set up IS NOT NECESSARY on a "street cruiser". Nor will that intake be the reason why my 4XX motor made 1500hp and not 1800hp IMO.
Currently we have more work than what we know what to do with-we are a low volume high quality shop.Yes we could have more business if we advertised budget engines-but were not looking to build lots of engines.With the amount of work that we put into building an engine and the amount of money we have tied up in the highest quality equipment to build engines,it's very hard for us to be competetive with the mass production shops.That is why we have steered toward the higher end market.With that said,we do have and will build more budget engines,but i can't do it for the same cost as alot of these other shops.

I guess everybody definition of what is necessary and what isn't is different.We have sold alot of $25,000.00+ dollar engines with sheetmetal intakes to guys with street cruisers.These are guys that want the most out of their combos-that's what we give them.An intake does make a huge difference on any kind of engine.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 AM
7 Second Club

As far as the intake goes you have 2 choices, you can buy a properly designed sheetmetal intake or get a cast intake and buy spare pistons. The inexpensive carb style intake will be the reason why you burn up pistons. Your right its not necessary but if you want to make the most out of your combination it is.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shearer
An intake manifold has a dramatic effect on engine performance and very well could be the reason why your 1500hp motor isn't making 1800hp. I agree the cost isn't always justifiable, but when you are putting together a 1500-3000hp engine why would you skimp out on a vital component.
Obviously on an engine worth that kind of money, the intake could be a reason to gain a significant amount of power but to say that it could take you from 1500 to 1800 is a little crazy. I'm not an engine builder or fabricator (learning to weld) by any means, but I know what's reasonable to do with a vehicle. Yes, you do get people with "freak" set ups that put a cam and springs in a motor and run 9's... Others use a built motor to run 10... There are many variables in both combos.

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
Currently we have more work than what we know what to do with-we are a low volume high quality shop.Yes we could have more business if we advertised budget engines-but were not looking to build lots of engines.With the amount of work that we put into building an engine and the amount of money we have tied up in the highest quality equipment to build engines,it's very hard for us to be competetive with the mass production shops.That is why we have steered toward the higher end market.With that said,we do have and will build more budget engines,but i can't do it for the same cost as alot of these other shops.

I guess everybody definition of what is necessary and what isn't is different.We have sold alot of $25,000.00+ dollar engines with sheetmetal intakes to guys with street cruisers.These are guys that want the most out of their combos-that's what we give them.An intake does make a huge difference on any kind of engine.
Shawn, I have seen you post on here MANY times and have seen your work (not in person, but on the threads about phil and brian and their success). I can say that if I were to spend this kinda coin on a motor, it would surely be with you. But most of us guys in the FI section are guys looking to make 700-1k rwhp and not 2k. Yes, there are some members in here with money and CAN afford to spend the money on their cruiser, but as you can see for the first 10-15 threads are all usually about something simple that broke and need a quick fix that wouldn't require spending $3k on an intake set up.

I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, I just thought you would get more people interested in the "lower budget" motors that you and your company offered.

As far as the intake goes you have 2 choices, you can buy a properly designed sheetmetal intake or get a cast intake and buy spare pistons. The inexpensive carb style intake will be the reason why you burn up pistons. Your right its not necessary but if you want to make the most out of your combination it is.
Phil, I won't argue anything about your post because you have a low 7 second car and I have a car that's been on jack stands for 2 years because I'm still building it and have ZERO experience in building anything remotely close to what you've accomplished. On the other side of your post, you can't tell me that guys that run super vics (witch are a little more expensive than the vic jr) can't be just as fast as you or near your times.

Quick Reply: some of our new engine packages