Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharged LQ4 serpentine issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Procharged LQ4 serpentine issues

Sup all, some quick background is in order before I pose my question. Got an LQ4 S10 I've been building for the past few months, and have recently decided to go with a Procharger DSC1, mostly from reading all the reviews on here. I was shopping today, putting together my serpentine system (engine was purchased sans accessories) when I hit a potential road block. Where in the hell do I put the Procharger?

The kit I'm lookin at, the Kwik Performance kit, puts the a/c compressor on the passenger side, about intake manifold high. I want to retain the a/c, as well as the power steering pump, but I do not see how I could make all of that work. Every kit I've seen runs a Procharger up top, which is where my A/C will be. The only place I could fathom to put it would be down low on the pass. side, which would make plumbing for intake/intercooler piping virtually impossible.

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this, and maybe some insight into setups that others used to accomplish this. I want a Procharger, but I refuse to lose A/C to get it!!

-Josh-
Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Call Bob at Brute Speed. He knows his stuff. I just purchased a procharger setup from him for a 02 TA. The head unit actually mounts down low on the driverside. It's a very nice kit. I also do not have to relocate anything at all. And yes I do still have AC, PS and all the factory accessories in the factory location. Give Bob a call.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have done about 10 s10 ls swaps and let me tell you it will not be easy.

Truck kit will put the blower too high and out of the hood on the driver side.

The Camaro kit puts it on the lower drivers side but that will not work with the power steering box and lower frame rail.

The best option is the Vette accessories with the Vette kit. This puts the blower in front on the pass side but there is no room for an air filter. Also to run AC you would have to put the compressor in the factory location and notch that frame rail.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Marcus, I appreciate it!

If you went with the C5/C6 bracket assembly, here are the required parts.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3GKBB...-3GKBB-006.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3GKBB...-3GKBB-010.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-Perfo...-AT-917345.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-Perfo...-AT-918993.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3FASS...-3FASS-007.htm or http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-AV008...AV008A-001.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-ProCh...ME001G-006.htm

Give me a call for head unit pricing, prices too low to post!

You will also need fuel injectors and a fuel pump, plus an intercooler system. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out the Trail Blazer SS kit made by a non sponsor. Search for a company with letters HOB.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by No Juice
Check out the Trail Blazer SS kit made by a non sponsor. Search for a company with letters HOB.
I'm not sure if there would be room in an S-10 for the inlet to come around like they have it, shown in the picture here.

The Corvette system shown below alleviates the hassle of the inlet plumbing, provided there is room to run the inlet straight out. I know this works out as about the only solution of 3rd gen Mazda RX7/LS engines when installing a ProCharger. Bob

Old 09-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Bob he needs the Transplant bracket set up...
Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Question

Originally Posted by jashell1562
Bob he needs the Transplant bracket set up...
Possibly, but I'm not sure if the S10 is wide enough for it, plus it would probably be too high too.. Bob

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3LSBB...-3LSBB-001.htm

Originally Posted by hellbents10

Truck kit will put the blower too high and out of the hood on the driver side.

The best option is the Vette accessories with the Vette kit. This puts the blower in front on the pass side but there is no room for an air filter. Also to run AC you would have to put the compressor in the factory location and notch that frame rail.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Wow, you guys rock! Such an influx of valuable info on this thread. Just wanted to clear up a few things.

I have no issue notching the framerail, so it seems that the corvette accessory drive with factory locations for the accessories is the way to go. This will be a blow-through carb Procharged engine, I plan to upgrade to EFI in the future but already have everything to get it running on the carb. Carb is a 750 blow-through Demon, setup by The Carb Shop.

Looks like if I use the system Bob is advocating, the Procharger will be up top on the pass side, which is cool, as it would be no problem to clearance that area for intake tubing/intercooler tubing. Only thing there atm is the battery, which will be relocated to the bed anyway. I'll be running an intercooler, rad, and condenser, so it'll be tight, but we've got radiator support mods planned to give us more room. Not to mention, this is just the kick in the *** I need to go ahead with the Corvette accessory drive. That'll give me precious room between the engine and all these coolers/radiators/condensers.

I search for an answer to this and haven't found one yet. If I switch the LQ4 over to Corvette acc, I mainly just swap the crank pulley for a 'Vette unit and build the rest from OEM parts? Or would Brute Speed carry everything I need? Gonna look over those parts links again to see if I missed anything.

Thanks a TON guys, and any more info is greatly appreciated, as I fight to put this awesome setup in my lil' S-rocket!

-Josh-
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Teching In

K, looked over the links again. Looks like I replace my huge-normous crank pulley with the damper, pin the crank, then use the 8 rib kit(s) you linked. I believe I will still need all the 'Vette accessories and brackets, which I can get from LKQ or GM, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Kinda confused on the bracket bag(s), as this is my first supercharger setup. Do I need both the 8 rib bag and the 8 rib sub bag? Kinda hard to tell from the pic and the description as to what it includes.

Thanks again!

-Josh-
Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slamdsdime
K, looked over the links again. Looks like I replace my huge-normous crank pulley with the damper, pin the crank, then use the 8 rib kit(s) you linked. I believe I will still need all the 'Vette accessories and brackets, which I can get from LKQ or GM, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Kinda confused on the bracket bag(s), as this is my first supercharger setup. Do I need both the 8 rib bag and the 8 rib sub bag? Kinda hard to tell from the pic and the description as to what it includes.

Thanks again!

-Josh-

Hi Josh, the head unit will actually sit towards the passenger side.

You do need the 8 rib bag and the 8 rib sub bag. The 8 rib bag contains the bracket assembly, and the sub bag contains the eight rib conversion parts needed to switch everything over from a six rib to an eight rib. I need to get better pic's and better descriptions on the parts. Thanks. Bob

Old 09-16-2010, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would like to get some dimensional info on the Trailblazer kit. It might fit in an s10, but I think it might be a bit high. The hood does slope down on the sides and especially in the front.

If it did fit below the hood you would need to relocate the batt. Also the coolant resivour could be removed for the air filter off the back of the blower.

I wish the truck kit would work as they are cheap and available, the trailblazer kit might have some promise though.

For big horsepower I would go the vette route as the belt situation is better suited for high horsepower.

The vette kit will put the inlet of the blower about 2" away from the radiator on the core support. I am not sure if you could get a cobra head intake elbow on there with moving the radiator inside the support.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the pic Bob, I have decided on the Vette kit because of your input. Which brings me to my next endeavor, hunting down a good 'Vette accessory kit.

When this first started, I specced out the Kwik kit, but it relocates the a/c compressor. Is there any aftermarket kit available to keep stock location on the accessories? I'd love to just buy it and bolt it in, and not have to hunt down part #s/parts from a junkyard or the stealership. Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Like I say, if need be, I can hunt down the parts, but want to consider all options.

@Hellbents, this S-10 will end up with a severely modded rad support, I'll prolly end up designing my own support when its all said and done. Just gonna be such a challenge to fit all those coolers up front, I almost wanna go ahead and junk the stock one and start from scratch, but will only do that if push comes to shove. I read much about the Vette accessory setup and it looks like it will do the job. I can get creative with the tubing/piping, and the support, so she's goin in there whether she likes it or not! Everything that can be removed/relocated from the engine compartment will do just that.

-Josh-
Old 09-16-2010, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sounds like you are on the correct path! The last LSx s10 I put together had vette accessories and it ended up costing me about $1200.00 minus the AC stuff. Most all of it was new from the dealer right down to the fasteners. Sounds like a fun project! Some day I will ditch the maggie on my daily driver s10 for something like this, 11.8@120 is too slow.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i run the vette setup with a carb in my Chevelle, with an 8 rib upgrade-i used, i believe, an F body blower intake, cut the nipples off and sealed them off, just fit in front of the radiator-i tried the truck one, could have run a larger filter, but the curve was wrong
i used 2000-2004 vette access. stuff, ATI balancer
car ran quicker w/o the filter setup on it, but suspect if i made another opening in the inlet would help
Old 09-16-2010, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Slamdsdime
Thanks for the pic Bob, I have decided on the Vette kit because of your input. Which brings me to my next endeavor, hunting down a good 'Vette accessory kit.

When this first started, I specced out the Kwik kit, but it relocates the a/c compressor. Is there any aftermarket kit available to keep stock location on the accessories? I'd love to just buy it and bolt it in, and not have to hunt down part #s/parts from a junkyard or the stealership. Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Like I say, if need be, I can hunt down the parts, but want to consider all options.

@Hellbents, this S-10 will end up with a severely modded rad support, I'll prolly end up designing my own support when its all said and done. Just gonna be such a challenge to fit all those coolers up front, I almost wanna go ahead and junk the stock one and start from scratch, but will only do that if push comes to shove. I read much about the Vette accessory setup and it looks like it will do the job. I can get creative with the tubing/piping, and the support, so she's goin in there whether she likes it or not! Everything that can be removed/relocated from the engine compartment will do just that.

-Josh-
Josh, shoot John Spears an e-mail to see if he has the Corvette accessory parts you need.
Speartech Fuel Injection Systems
address:3574 East State Road 236
Anderson, IN 46017
Web site:
www.speartech.com
email:
speartech@comcast.net

Old 09-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

The Dimensions on the swap kit are mounted at its highest most outward point. There is a bunch of adjust-ability in that kit. What year model S10 are we talking about here?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Truck in question is a 1999 S10 SCSB.

-Josh-
Old 11-05-2010, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Any updates to this? Bob