Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI motor question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FI motor question

Gents, its been a while since I was last here but I've got the bug again and need some answers. My car currently has a D-1 procharger with a Gt3 cam, full exhaust and 9 inch rearend thanks to Bob from the then Exotic performance Plus. I was thinking about a setup (LQ9) just like the one that came out in the January edition of GM High Tech. I believe they bored bored it to a .030 and put a rotating assembly consisting of a 4.0 inch stroker crank matching it with a 6.2 inch connecting rods from pro-comp with 10c dish to keep it a below 10.0:1. The cam they used was .624 inch lift and 239/247 duration split and 114 degreelobe seperation. The heads they used were ported TEA LS3 heads. Supercharger was an YSI vortech.

Few questions:

(1) Will my D-1 be able to push enough air to make around 800 rwhp?
(2) How much bigger is this cam than mine is it very loppy, or should I use my old cam?
(3) Can I use a cheaper head such as 317's to get to the power I want.
(4) How much money am I talking about?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone have any comments??
Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefire
Gents, its been a while since I was last here but I've got the bug again and need some answers. My car currently has a D-1 procharger with a Gt3 cam, full exhaust and 9 inch rearend thanks to Bob from the then Exotic performance Plus. I was thinking about a setup (LQ9) just like the one that came out in the January edition of GM High Tech. I believe they bored bored it to a .030 and put a rotating assembly consisting of a 4.0 inch stroker crank matching it with a 6.2 inch connecting rods from pro-comp with 10c dish to keep it a below 10.0:1. The cam they used was .624 inch lift and 239/247 duration split and 114 degreelobe seperation. The heads they used were ported TEA LS3 heads. Supercharger was an YSI vortech.

Few questions:

(1) Will my D-1 be able to push enough air to make around 800 rwhp?
(2) How much bigger is this cam than mine is it very loppy, or should I use my old cam?
(3) Can I use a cheaper head such as 317's to get to the power I want.
(4) How much money am I talking about?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy, it's good to see you're back on here!

1. We made 756 rwhp with a D-1SC at the old shop with a T/A that came in with an SLP 408 with AFR 225 heads and a D-1SC. That would be around 800 rwhp on a DynoJet dyno.
2. You would make more power with a different camshaft, that GT2-3 is very mild. The cam they used is going to be lopey indeed.
3. The cylinder heads are very important to making in making this king of power, but take a look at this link from the old website. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=54
740 rwhp with a D-1SC and we used the same cam you now have, and Patriot LQ9 Stage 2 heads, on a forged 346.
4. Take a look at some of the engines Virginia Speed offer, and fuel systems that Nasty Performance offers. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-17-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Bob nice to here from you! My car is still running hard with the 8 lbs. of boost and all, but it's time to get into some serious power now!!!LOL

First off how much boost was required to get to that horsepower? Can I live with my D-1or will it be at it's limits. (Don't want to over spin it)

Second, what kind of cam would you recommend? I'm looking for something a little more aggressive than my old cam don't mind it being a little lopey but not to much if that makes any sense.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bob good to see you around. Ya let us know if we can help in any way.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefire
Hey Bob nice to here from you! My car is still running hard with the 8 lbs. of boost and all, but it's time to get into some serious power now!!!LOL

First off how much boost was required to get to that horsepower? Can I live with my D-1or will it be at it's limits. (Don't want to over spin it)

Second, what kind of cam would you recommend? I'm looking for something a little more aggressive than my old cam don't mind it being a little lopey but not to much if that makes any sense.
16 psi, the blower maxed out but it did not cause any problems. The Corvette at 16 psi was driven hard on a road course for two years, it saw more wot time that most cars ever will.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Comp-Brut...n-Camshaft.htm
Our blower cam has a lope to it but is mild when compared to Comps new blower cams.

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Thanks Bob good to see you around. Ya let us know if we can help in any way.
Thanks Nate, I appreciate it. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-20-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Bob

Quick Reply: FI motor question