Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS LG TT 408/4L80e setup...oil pressure ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APS LG TT 408/4L80e setup...oil pressure ???

Let me start off by saying that the car runs great. I've had it back for about two weeks now. I've been told that lower oil pressure is normal on a turbo car b/c of how hot the oil gets. Car has 20w-50 VR1 oil. Cold idle I see 40psi on startup. Hot idle I see right at about 20psi. At cruise from say 60-80 (1900-2400rpm) I see in the mid-upper 30's. At about 6100rpm on HP tuners we recorded a max of 54psi. Does this sound OK? It has a Melling pump as well.

Last edited by dsmtrance; 10-16-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was mid teens at hotter temps after it was run and i drove it that way for years and never had an issue.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine ran ok for 3000 or more miles. Then few weeks ago saw check guages light and oil pressure at idle was in the red. Was running 10/40 dino . I drained oil it looked ok. Filled it up with 15/50 mobile. Not much change .About 40 when strarted then kept going down and would go towards red range as it heated up. Pressure moved up with rpm but never that high. I was running slp pump and high pressure spring. I had low pressure spring previously but this year went to high pressure. Didn't seem to change much but 10/40 was maybe bit light. 408 with bigger clearances and all that. My oil does get hot since not running water cooling on my aps setup due to one internally cracked aps turbo that will let coolant into oil. Fact when first fired up the 408 the oil got full of coolant. Caught it right away within minutes of start up and changed it like 5 times in first 500 miles and no more coolant but maybe that hurt my bearing and they just too a few thousand miles to die. When drained oil to put in the 15/50 the oil in pan looked good but when cut open filter in the pleats looks like copper and pretty sure thats bearings gone bye bye. Yanking out engine over winter and putting in a new ERL 427 superdeck 1. Or selling the car. Go big or go home! LOL
Anyway few other things to watch that can cause low pressure..oring pinched or not in there properly,cam retainer plate crushed down too tight, problem with oil pump,sticking relief spring and maybe front plug worked it way out ,not sure if rear seal problem can cause lower pressure or if shot turbo can cause low pressure. Course shot bearings,excessive or wrong clearances on them can also cause low pressure.
Hopefully yours is fine. Check and cut open filter to be sure.

Quick Reply: APS LG TT 408/4L80e setup...oil pressure ???