Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ideal twin rear turbos, built stock cube ls6 for a street DD

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideal twin rear turbos, built stock cube ls6 for a street DD

So I'm still working on turboing the cts-v, I'm starting to re-think my gt-35r plans.

Right now I have the hot section for the rear mounts set up for a t3 flange turbo, but I'm thinking the 35rs will be too big for what I'm looking for. The ls6 is going to be stock cube, stock head, -8.6cc diamonds and compstar rods are going in (already have them). It has to be a daily car so I'm not looking for a 1000hp car. I'm thinking 700 ish would be fun, but the 35rs sound too big for the job and will just take forever to spool.

Can anyone recommend a pair of t3 frame turbos that would be better for my goals? Or is there a single out there that would be a better option? It wouldn't bother me to redo the hot section for a single setup, I just want to do everything right the first time.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for driveability you want twins.

look at what master power has, they have turbos ranging from 1100 hp ratings down to 85 hp. and all are at great prices, i would proly go with two of the 57mm's they sell. available in .48, .63, .68, .70 a/r's. they rated at 500hp each so they should be able to get u to your 700hp goal
Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey killer, i have had bb gt35r's and precision journal 6262's and both spool real quick and both had .63 exh housings!! The 6262's spool just a touch quicker though because of the billet wheel. This is on a rear mounted vette with an auto with a 370 and 8.8 compression. Both turbo's ran great at low boost so you can reach your hp goal and still have a bunch of room to grow when you upgrade the engine. Just wrap your exhaust well and get with a good cam/turbo builder on your cam choice. p.s.. this is on my daily driver and i have no issues.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with TracyRR. Keep them. What turbine A/R are they? What's your max rpm going to be also? I would just ensure you have the correct turbine housing for the operating range of the engine. You could always try what you have now and change housing later if it falls off to early or spools late. Especially with a rearmount it can be trial and error.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering what you guys call DDs. how many miles a day do you drive and how many replacement parts have been bought? i drive 45 miles one way to work.....ive been thinking of modding my dd but thats alot of miles, wear and tear on turbo parts.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
i was wondering what you guys call DDs. how many miles a day do you drive and how many replacement parts have been bought? i drive 45 miles one way to work.....ive been thinking of modding my dd but thats alot of miles, wear and tear on turbo parts.
i put around 1200 - 1500 miles a month on my dd.... turbo's can last a very long time if setup and sized correctly.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurboAv
I'm with TracyRR. Keep them. What turbine A/R are they? What's your max rpm going to be also? I would just ensure you have the correct turbine housing for the operating range of the engine. You could always try what you have now and change housing later if it falls off to early or spools late. Especially with a rearmount it can be trial and error.
I got .81 housings, but I can swap them out. I'm probably going with the stock redline or maybe up to 6800 or so. The top end is getting new springs and pushrods as well, so it should be able to make it work.

I guess its not going to hurt much to have slightly slower spooling turbos on a DD. I definitely don't want the turbos making boost at 2000 rpms because I don't want to burn more gas on the highway. This motor is going to be about 9.5:1 so it should be responsive enough off boost and still get decent mileage.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6262's with a small turbine a/r would be money for that setup. As long as everything is coated/wrapped properly, you shouldn't have any spool issues. An .81 is honestly a little bit for a remote mount (but I'm not expert), they'd be fine in the engine bay, but out toward the bumper, probably not as efficient.

Quick Reply: Ideal twin rear turbos, built stock cube ls6 for a street DD