Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pressure drop with this style intercooler?

Old 10-25-2010, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure drop with this style intercooler?

Im looking at getting an intercooler that has rear facing inlet/outlet but Im concerned this will cause alot of pressure drop compared to a normal style intercooler. Heres a pic:
Old 10-25-2010, 05:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

say u wanna run 8lbs.. turn it up untilll u see 8lbs at the intake, nobody likes pressure drop, but unless you are really trying to squeeze every last little bit out of your turbo, owell if there is a small drop. i dont see this style of intercooler being much worse that a regular straight thru design.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

looking at it wont help its the inner core design that makes up almost all the pressure drop easyest way i could tell you is if it was real cheap and on ebay its probably junk because if you buy from a known FI dealer you will be given a real pi drop at what psi so on and as for that design it looks like it hits the wall boxy if you get me there are ones i seen that are more contoured and curved ends to help with flow
Old 10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bobsmyuncle
say u wanna run 8lbs.. turn it up untilll u see 8lbs at the intake, nobody likes pressure drop, but unless you are really trying to squeeze every last little bit out of your turbo, owell if there is a small drop. i dont see this style of intercooler being much worse that a regular straight thru design.
Of course Ill reference the manifold but I dont want to overwork my turbo too much getting it there.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Bump!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess you actually have to ask yourself how much more restrictive will this be than a normal intercooler with a 180# bend on the inlet and outlet of the intercooler?

Personally it would have been nice to see the end tanks that where a little better designed.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Im looking at getting an intercooler that has rear facing inlet/outlet but Im concerned this will cause alot of pressure drop compared to a normal style intercooler. Heres a pic:
Cooling the discharge temperature normally outweigh the 1-2psi (approximate) loss in air pressure, which can be regained by increasing the boost pressure.
Air to air intercooler cores come in two basic formats. Extruded tube & fin and bar and fin more commonly known as stacked plate cores. Stacked Plate cores flow more air due to more internal surface area and decrease turbulance inside the end tanks. Extruded tube and fin intercooler cores have internal flow channels that stick out into the end tanks which are cheaper to produce and don't flow as good.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two 90-degree sharp turns at the entry/exit will cost you a bit of pressure (maybe 1-2psi) but the overall design is not bad at all. If you didn't use those sharp turns, you would need to eventually make the turns anyway with silicon hose. The only improvement would be the larger radius, smoother turn.

If that setup works well for your packaging, then go for it. Unless you are looking to squeeze every last HP out of your rig, and have the money to design in perfection.

Jim
Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Guess you actually have to ask yourself how much more restrictive will this be than a normal intercooler with a 180# bend on the inlet and outlet of the intercooler?

Personally it would have been nice to see the end tanks that where a little better designed.
Originally Posted by DeltaT
The two 90-degree sharp turns at the entry/exit will cost you a bit of pressure (maybe 1-2psi) but the overall design is not bad at all. If you didn't use those sharp turns, you would need to eventually make the turns anyway with silicon hose. The only improvement would be the larger radius, smoother turn.

If that setup works well for your packaging, then go for it. Unless you are looking to squeeze every last HP out of your rig, and have the money to design in perfection.

Jim
I was thinking that I would need to throw 90* bends on either side of a normal style intercooler anyway so this might actually save me in total number of bends.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Regular

i am currently faced with this exact scenario in my build regarding the FMIC...

AKA should i use -semi- restrictive silicone 90* bends at both ends of my FMIC for simplicities sake to eliminate excess bumper trimming, resulting in potential loss of flow?
Rather than utilizing close radius stainless steel tubing?
Sorrry, i am draunks, this may not make any sense at all to you, but in my mind is another story when every little bit counts!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Using that design over the typical egay cores, in some ways will be better. Whilst in terms of airflow it may appear more restrictive. The header tanks have larger volume and shape, so more chance of even flow through the core.

The egay tanks usually have very small header tanks, with the intake/outlet pointed straight at each other.

And while others have mentioned tube design, it isnt as easy as that.

Having tube with great airflow is pointless if the air passes so easily it doesnt actually have any heat removed. Which would defeat the purpose of the IC.

Extruded tubes may be great for airflow, but you need to have adequate capacity to actually remove heat from the air as it passes.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever test out this ic?, mine is very similar and i saw 25psi before and 20psi in the intake manifold.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Horizontal pass cores on large displacement motors suck

Look at the flow area of the core and the flow volume through a v8 at decent rpm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pressure drop with this style intercooler?