Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how do you know if your back-spinning a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you know if your back-spinning a turbo?

I just remembered that I never bought a BOV, I know the cons of not running one and realized that I have no clue how im going to know if i need to get one once I fire it up. Im in the middle of the turbo install now and money is not scarce but ive got stuff coming up and prefer not to spend 300 bucks.

how does one know if A. the setup needs a BOV and B. the setup needs a larger or second BOV
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

If you don't have a BOV on your turbo setup then they are only one other place for the psi. to go to when you let up off the gas and that is back through the turbo.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by craig382ci
If you don't have a BOV on your turbo setup then they are only one other place for the psi. to go to when you let up off the gas and that is back through the turbo.
Either that or blow off one of the fittings on the cold side.

The purpose of the BOV is to give the pressure somewhere to go when the throttle body slams shut. Grand Nationals didn't have them stock, but it's a common thing to add.

Personally, I'd rather be on the safe side as a BOV is cheaper than rebuilding a turbo.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is ruining a $1k+ turbo worth saving the ~$150 investment?

If money is tight, do yourself a favor and browse the Classifieds and find something used for like $150. They come up often.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BOV is one of those things that is perfectly OK to buy used. Also, a used premium BOV is better than a new cheapo one.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

guys I know what they do, I know why I need one, the only reason ill not run one is if the setup gets done before I get one, at which point ill wanna move forward with tuning and etc. Make no mistake about it, the car will get one before it starts really getting drivin a lot, and while it dosent have one it will be driving accordingly (slowly lift off WOT instead of going from %100 to %0)

Im saying if theres no BOV, and im just pulling it out of my garage fresh turbo setup, and i start to do the baseline tuning and the turbo is getting backspun (meaning the setup badly needs a BOV and need to stop driving it in the meantime) How am I gonna know? what am i listening/watching for?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
BOV is one of those things that is perfectly OK to buy used. Also, a used premium BOV is better than a new cheapo one.
Ive had my eyes open on the classifieds for a while now, maybe its just me but used premium BOV's dont pop up hardly ever, good thing is Ive got time to keep looking lol

For the record, if anybody does spot a decent deal on a good quality BOV and your feeling generous, pm me a link to the thread, thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
guys I know what they do, I know why I need one, the only reason ill not run one is if the setup gets done before I get one, at which point ill wanna move forward with tuning and etc. Make no mistake about it, the car will get one before it starts really getting drivin a lot, and while it dosent have one it will be driving accordingly (slowly lift off WOT instead of going from %100 to %0)

Im saying if theres no BOV, and im just pulling it out of my garage fresh turbo setup, and i start to do the baseline tuning and the turbo is getting backspun (meaning the setup badly needs a BOV and need to stop driving it in the meantime) How am I gonna know? what am i listening/watching for?
You will hear a flutering sound.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by craig382ci
You will hear a flutering sound.
+1 its pretty easy to hear cus its very distinct. IMO, even though its not good for your turbo at all, it sounds pretty sweet haha.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Yes it does sound pretty cool. I have a 89TTA same motor as the Buick GN. They made 1555 all together mine is #13. It always turn heads with that sound.

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
+1 its pretty easy to hear cus its very distinct. IMO, even though its not good for your turbo at all, it sounds pretty sweet haha.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.racepartsolutions.com/products.asp?cat=101

here you go
Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with the fluttering, the bov is more of a single woosh sound. I've seen a lot of 4 cyl guys not run a bov because they thought it sounded cooler, but to me the sound of a $1200 turbo getting beat up is not sweet. I know when I had my old vr4 a lot of guys were using stock eclipse bov's, I think they were out of the 1st gen cars and they were good to like 15 psi before they started to leak and pretty easy to adapt to fit. Something like that may be a good temporary fix, they used to go for around 50 bucks a pop.