Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Divided vs undivided

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Divided vs undivided

Ok so i've been doing a ton of research and honestly my head is killing me and i'm just wanting to know is it really that big of a factor on a turbocharged v8?

I under stand that with the right set up (divided header and divided ex. housing it seems to help) but then i'm seeing all this info on the supra forums and 4 banger forums about this stuff but can't really find anything on the v8 guys. These guys are talking about knife cutting a ex. housing on a turbo if the hot side coming into it isn't divided or if it's divided and the turbo isn't your fine.

I guess my question is with me running a 9.5:1 lt1 making a cross over pipe that would come together into one pipe about 2-3 inches before the T4 housing and running a turbo with a split ex. housing am i going to see any issue?

I am a TOTAL newb on this boosted stuff and have been reading everything i can find but this one is one hell of a run around that i can't find the one answer i want damnit, so please help.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Do you mean "knife edging" instead of "knife cutting"?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah sorry.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the 4 and 6 cyl cars benefit more from divided housings because of the spacing between engine pulses. Best benefit of a divided housing is being able to utilize a quick spool valve. Not every turbo has a divided housing available for it though, especially ones larger than 80mm's.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not looking at anything 80mm or over more around 76mm. I don't really see it hurting but just wanted to check.

Quick Reply: Divided vs undivided