Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question re: spark plug choice and turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Question re: spark plug choice and turbo build

I am going to be transplanting an Aluminum LS2 402ci engine with AFR 225cc heads and a turbo cam into my 6spd 1998 Camaro Z28 over the next few months.

I am going to be running the STS Turbo kit with the GT67 ball bearing turbo and FMIC. My goal is to be around the 750crank hp mark (at most). What sort of spark plug would be recommended here? I am not going to be running meth and have no plans to do so.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe its just me but that turbo seems way too small, even for an STS setup. As for plugs, im sort of in the same spot.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not looking for stupendous amounts of power...it has to be tractable. I am running a setup that otherwise should be good for around the 750 crank horsepower mark, but don't want to take any chances on a wrong spark plug choice.

Bumping for advice as there are many people here running forced induction f-bodies....
Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your not needing big power but the long stroke and big cubes of the 402 are good for spool, add that on top of your having such a small turbo and you could choke it down enormously in the upper rpm range and possibly over spin, plus youll be seeing spool anytime you hit the gas, not just when you mahsing on it. Not too small for the power, too small going to beat the crap out of the turbo.

Im no expert but I highly reccomend you talk to one, or the manfacturer of your whistler before you run it. Plenty of guys have teh Super T70 on 370ci motors and complaining that its falling flat on its face above xxxx rpms and youve got a bigger motor and smaller turbo. Twin 67's or a TC78 would be more like it and wouldnt work nearly as hard. not trying to dog you i just hate to see it go together and find out after the fact, or worse, do damage to something.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

NGK R-5724-9 Stock# 7891 - Best luck ever with these.
One set lasted 2 years and in the same engine in 2 different cars. 15psi and nitrous on top of it.

Quick Reply: Question re: spark plug choice and turbo build