Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Install supercharger myself??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install supercharger myself??

I want to add some Hp to my LS3 and have decided on the ECS SC600 package.

I was quoted $2100 to have it installed and tuned which I don't feel is a bad price but they want another 500 to install the headers (thought that was a little high), he said 5-6 hours to install headers.

So my question is, should I try the install myself?

I am no mechanic but I think I have all the neccassery tools to get the job done. My biggest concerns are:

1) I have never installed a supercharger before and niether has the guy that would be helping me.
2) I do not have a lift, would have to do everything off of jack stands.
3) There are a few steps like pinning the crank that also have me wondering if I should try it.

So what do you guys think, have any of you installed your own supercharger kit without ever having done it before??

Any input or advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

a lift definitely makes the header install easier...my dad has a four post lift in his garage I used and it was still a royal pain. Im of the belief that as long as I have a decent set of instructions, I can do just about anything. That being said, if you have $2k to spare and dont want the hassle, paying someone may be the way to go. Im a tightwad, so Id see that $2k in labor as a a nice set of heads or a 9" rear end or something.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some meaningful advantages to doing it yourself. Money aside, you get a better understanding how it works and the pride in doing it yourself. You can do it on jackstands. Pinning the crank is a minor job if you have some room in front of the balancer. I used a 3/8" right angle drill and the proper jig, drill bit and pin that comes in the kit. Knowledge is you friend. See if you can find a build thread that can show you how to do some of the tasks. I bet there are plenty on the headers which will save you time.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

I,ve done three, the first was a paxton on a mustang,that was a piece of cake. The second one I did was a procharger on a 97 ss camaro It was quite a bit more difficult and the third was a vortech on a 2002 ws6 which I have now. I am absolutely not a mechanic and I,m sure they took me longer than it should have to install but I just took my time and went by the directions. And like the other guy said, you can say you did it.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of car do you have OP? Vette?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Teching In

if you have $2k to spare and dont want the hassle, paying someone may be the way to go. Im a tightwad, so Id see that $2k in labor as a a nice set of heads or a 9" rear end or something.
Yea, I am thinking that 2K is my headers (with x-pipe and cats) plus the dyno tune.

I have read some threads of guys that did it on there own with just jacks stands. So I know it can be done.

What kind of car do you have OP? Vette?
Yes it is a vette and that engine bay is crowded!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Head unit on the vette is up top so that right there will make it easier for the blower install and the headers cant be that bad. I say do it yourself and save that money for other go fast parts or some tires because your going to need them. They dont last once you start getting up in power.

Quick Reply: Install supercharger myself??