Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

swapping compressor housings is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default swapping compressor housings is it possible?

I have a TC78 and I was wondering if another compressor housing would fit on it or would I just have to buy a new turbo all together. I know of people switching out the exhaust housings so I was wondering if the compressor was the same.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
I have a TC78 and I was wondering if another compressor housing would fit on it or would I just have to buy a new turbo all together. I know of people switching out the exhaust housings so I was wondering if the compressor was the same.
I believe Forcedinductions do a "race cover" similar to the T78 3" outlet,but it requires some machining to fit, (you need to sent your turbo back to them)

supposed to be good for an added 100hp+ flow

Would love to here some feedback from anyone who has had this done as i'm considering it myself.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this may have been a dumb question to most but I was just wondering seeing as though turbos are not cheap, so I just wanted to know if I could make it a little better if at all possible without spending over a 1K
Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
yes u can..
the T series backing plate, and comp cover will go straight on to that bearing housing. The mid frame bearing housing with the next size up shaft ,is the only difference to the tc, 60-1, hurricane, gtk, t , turbonetics T4 turbos.
and T series comp cover, with machine to inlet to suit 78mm comp wheel will be ok...

you will gain 7-10 % more flow, but lose a tiny, tiny bit of spool.
the .55 VS .7 a/r makes all the difference

there are new turbonetics models out in january...

Jose can help you @ forced inductions

Quick Reply: swapping compressor housings is it possible?