Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth questions??????

Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Meth questions??????

I'm looking to add a meth system to my 99 T/A. I've never ran meth so I'm not real familiar with it. Looking for some opinions and pictures, setups. Things to do, things to look out for, what to buy, those kinda things. I have a 404 LS2, with a D1SC that was 7psi and I'm looking to up it to 10-12 psi. I'm adding a FMIC over this winter. It has #60 inj. I'm thinking about buying #80's. Just needing a lil help with this and some users opinions. If I didnt give enough info please let me know. I don't wanna waste money and buy what I don't need or not buy enough and have just wasted my time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

I'm still using the MAF, if that makes a difference. I was looking at a snow kit and it shows one for MAF that's why I mentioned it.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would ditch the maf and go SD ( speed density) if possible. I run an AIS kit but mine is there non progressive set-up, if you have the coin the progressive kits are nice and will let you put the meth exactly where you need it in the tune up or run a non progressive where its triggered by a hobbs switch. One thing you didnt mention, what is your fuel pump set-up?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

It still has the stock lines, regulator and fuel rail. It has twin pumps in the tank tho.

Last edited by Brigger18; 12-14-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meth is great but dooooo noooot use it for a band aid for a poor fuel system. Other than that I ran a snow stg3 no issues and I was speed density. ram rate from 8 to 16 psi.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking of putting it on as a safety instead of making the tune for it????
Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Any other input??? Could use some more suggestions on what systems to look at.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

don't it man, look what it did to lindsay lohan
Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 PM
FormerVendor

Default Knock Knock.. Who’s the there? Detonation!

Originally Posted by Brigger18
I'm looking to add a meth system to my 99 T/A. I've never ran meth so I'm not real familiar with it. Looking for some opinions and pictures, setups. Things to do, things to look out for, what to buy, those kinda things. I have a 404 LS2, with a D1SC that was 7psi and I'm looking to up it to 10-12 psi. I'm adding a FMIC over this winter. It has #60 inj. I'm thinking about buying #80's. Just needing a lil help with this and some users opinions. If I didnt give enough info please let me know. I don't wanna waste money and buy what I don't need or not buy enough and have just wasted my time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The best way and safest way to make extra power METHANOL INJECTION !
Methanol increases your ocatne rating up to 120 oct.

Methanol is often mixed with the water because it’s a very high octane fuel. It burns a lot slower and cooler than gas you get at the pump. The ratio of water to methanol can be adjusted depending on the application and desired results. For more cooling effect, you could inject up to 100% water. If you just wanted huge boost in horsepower you could add upwards of 50% methanol. Increased Fuel Economy and Overall Engine Efficiency,Reduce EGT’s and Emissions,Reduce Inlet Air Charge Temperatures.

Water/methanol injection helps to reduce inlet air charge temperatures and enhance combustion on gas and diesel engines. A highly atomized mist of water/methanol mix is injected into the inlet air charge where it immediately starts to evaporate. The inlet air temperature is reduced through evaporative cooling as the fluid changes states and goes from a liquid to a vapor. This “liquid intercooling” effect can reduce intake air temperatures by as much as 100°F or more! A cooler, denser air charge delivers more oxygen that allows for more fuel to be burned and more horsepower to be made.

Lower air charge temperatures by 40-200+ degrees
Increase your fuel’s octane by 10-25+ points
Increase horsepower safely by 10-15%
Allows you to safely run more boost and timing
Removes carbon build-up from combustion chambers, pistons and valves
Longer more stable combustion expansion and progression
Reduces and helps eliminate engine damaging detonation and pre-ignition
No need for expensive racing fuel or additives

Stay with the Maf as it will give you better driveabilty and throttle responce.

We tuned a 2007 turbo Mustang added 5 degrees more timing less fuel and picked up 100hp at the wheels !

Let me know if you are interested in tuning your car with methanol.We done many cars.We use SNOW Performance.

Last edited by C/Performance; 12-26-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Stay with the Maf as it will give you better driveabilty and throttle responce.

That is a myth lol. Runnig boost with a ls1 maf is ok but sd is a whole lot better. I drove cross country on sd six speed car gas milage was good and when I snap the gas she spools and go. Part throttle response was great also. I hated the maf because of the slow response and hacking the tables when it was maxed out.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

NO way I would rely on the maf when making upwards of 500rwhp
Old 12-15-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Just keep in mind if your meth system fails it may take the motor with it.

It works well, but I don't run it because I'm risk averse.

And I think MAF vs no MAF just comes down to the tune. I prefer SD myself (ie no MAF).
Old 12-15-2010, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NoGo

And I think MAF vs no MAF just comes down to the tune. I prefer SD myself (ie no MAF).
Need to keep an eye on those afr's, one problem with the MAF that doesn't get brought up much is that turbochargers are more likely to deposit a thin layer of oil on the MAF wire. When this happens you loose a noticable amount of horsepower. It's a slow process so you don't notice until after you clean it.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mike13
Need to keep an eye on those afr's, one problem with the MAF that doesn't get brought up much is that turbochargers are more likely to deposit a thin layer of oil on the MAF wire. When this happens you loose a noticable amount of horsepower. It's a slow process so you don't notice until after you clean it.
When i do meth i install the Low Level Indicator
in the bottle and a SafeInjection™Solenoid such that boost is reduced in a wastegated turbo set-up if anything malfunctions.

SafeInjection® can drop boost pressure in supercharged or turbocharged applications, or cut ignition timing advance for those with or without aftermarket ignition systems.
You can set it up through maf or boost.
I use 50-50 mix for best results.
Straight meth is too rich and it doesn't cool as good.
"Water/methanol injection is great and they are engineered for reliability, but in the case where you run out of fluid with an aggressive tune, many want the peace of mind that this system provides.”
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like there is a lot more to this than just "spray and go". Does the nozzle or nozzles go directly into the intake or in the intake pipe, before the MAF. I would think it would drive the MAF crazy if it was before. Sorry if I sound stupid, this is very new to me. I don't want to just buy something without understanding what all its doing, and why I need it. When it breaks or is malfunctioning its up to me to fix it or know that its messing up before everything goes boom. Thank you for all your input guy's and please keep it coming. I'm sure there are already threads about the difference between MAF and SD tunes. Anyone got a link for too?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Brigger18
Sounds like there is a lot more to this than just "spray and go". Does the nozzle or nozzles go directly into the intake or in the intake pipe, before the MAF. I would think it would drive the MAF crazy if it was before. Sorry if I sound stupid, this is very new to me. I don't want to just buy something without understanding what all its doing, and why I need it. When it breaks or is malfunctioning its up to me to fix it or know that its messing up before everything goes boom. Thank you for all your input guy's and please keep it coming. I'm sure there are already threads about the difference between MAF and SD tunes. Anyone got a link for too?
The nozzle goes 4 inches in front of the throttle body from the side of the
intake tube .You can't spray in front of the maf !
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also try not to put the nozzle or nozzles in a bend or before, it gives the methanol a chance to puddle. Put with a straight path to your tb, You just want time for the meth to atomise all the way before it enters the engine. I also bought the low level sensor for my tank but dont use it, you just have to keep an eye on it. You really dont use that much, depends how you set it up. I have dual 14gph nozzles and dont use that much spraying it all or nothing when boost comes in. And with your tune you can make it if your iat's go up drastically it will pull timing to be safe. If your iat's go up you can gurantee your meth kit isn't working right, and make sure and have an activation light of some sort (must kits come with this) to tell you when the pump is on pumping.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
Also try not to put the nozzle or nozzles in a bend or before, it gives the methanol a chance to puddle. Put with a straight path to your tb, You just want time for the meth to atomise all the way before it enters the engine. I also bought the low level sensor for my tank but dont use it, you just have to keep an eye on it. You really dont use that much, depends how you set it up. I have dual 14gph nozzles and dont use that much spraying it all or nothing when boost comes in. And with your tune you can make it if your iat's go up drastically it will pull timing to be safe. If your iat's go up you can gurantee your meth kit isn't working right, and make sure and have an activation light of some sort (must kits come with this) to tell you when the pump is on pumping.
Does both MAF and SD tune pull timing if the IAT goes up. I know it has to be in the tune of course but can both tunes do that?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Its a good idea to spray before your IAT sensor like mr biscuitz said. If the pcm doesnt see the drop in IAT's from the meth it will pull timing out. Its not a 100% safe answer but its more then nothing. You can also add all the fancy low level sensors and flow sensors but I opted out of them. I check my tank every time I get gas, and its usually never low. If you just pay attention you'll be fine. I like the cooling mist kit and have had good results with it. You can set it up on any 5v reference and use it progressively. Check out their website.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoGo

this is why you would want to go SD that way all you have to do is put it infront of the IAT sensor and the pcm/ecu will pull timing and etc on it's own. A low level sensor is always a smart thing (just think you have a low oil sensor, antifreeze and fuel why not get one for your safety device)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Meth questions??????