Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

badass 97 lt1 forced ind built motor daily driver help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default badass 97 lt1 forced ind built motor daily driver help!!!!!!!!

hi im new to this site ive been creepin around forums for a while my buddy just traded me his 1997 transam forged bottom end trick flow heads upgraded vortech making 15* boost intercooled 60* inj 255fp and it has a mail ordered tune that he then took to someone named brian who did the tune and had it dynnod it suposidly broke up at 4500rpm and made 400+hp and he tuned it conservitivly thats the history and what i know right now he is sopose to be getting me a detailed list of all the specs. i have to drive this thing daily it seems to be running good now not braking up but it through a serv eng soon light that says its o2 sen not reading and the afr was around 11 and i noticed at wide open throttle it started creepin up in the 13 14's at higher rpm's i can clear the code and it will run better till the code throws again. so my main qustion is my work is 6 miles from home and if i drive it normal will it be safe i dont really know what the wide band should be at when not at wot sorry this is so long like i said im new and have been searchin this site all mornin just need to be drivin this thing thanks and please be gentle

Last edited by KAMSVT; 12-19-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

ok well how about what should my afr be when driving at low rpm's?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:45 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

stay off the boost and get a 2nd pump because if you're running a single 255...you're maxing it out. you'll blow that motor quick w/ a single and 15psi. need to get it dyno tuned once you have the 2nd pump. Search lonnies fuel pumps on here. as long as you are not in the boost you can drive it anywhere. get those bugs fixed first including the 02 sensor. gl
Old 12-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the input i was told that the fuel pump is hooked up directly to the altinator so its getting high volts and the tuner told him he tuned lots of 500 hp lt1s with single 255 like this but in reference to boost i have multiple pulleys i could lower the boost if it would help
Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

my friend actually said it was running good prior to sending the blower off and getting an upgraded proppeller put in when he got it back it made more boost
Old 12-19-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatever you do you need to take it slow, If your not familiar with forced induction I'd take a few hours and read up on it. your break up could be alot of things, running out of fuel do to only having one pump, plug gap, plug heat range, belt slip, inlet colapsing, or plug wires. Trust me take your time eliminate each of the cheapest fixes first and move on. Also I'd find out what pistons are in as if their not forged it won't last long with that amount of boost. Enjoy and remember forced induction is the most rewarding yet could be the most problematic mod you can do.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

its got forged pistons it doesnt breakup anymore that was when he had it dynoed it was an ignition problem it runs strong i just noticed the afr creeps up to 13 14 when u get above 5000 rpm wot belts good making good boost thanks for any input
Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

its a 355, comp blower cam 224/236 duration .550 lift eagle forged crank forged h-beam rods srp forged dished pistons around 9.0-1 compresion trick flow heads i think there 74cc and 195cc ir and 60lb inj
Old 12-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

alraight took this thing for a 20 min ride serv eng light never came on did a couple 3 rd gear roll ons that mother pulled like a maniac and afr stayed right around 11 the only thing im confused on is when im cruisin between 2000 to 3500 rpms the afr is like up between 13 -16 im not sure what the afr is supose to do when not at wot and it smelled a little like gas when i got home thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are cruising and those are the AFR's then that's ok. You want the it to be lean during cruise since you aren't using any fuel so to speak off the boost. As long as you when you get on it the afr's drop then technically you're ok. Still, 15psi on a single tank is pushing it even if it's only a 355ci...at least have an inline pump along w/ the stock one in the tank.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

gotcha im goin to baby it for now cant afford another pump right now maybe tax season but it still seems to be runnin fat im goin to pull the plugs and see what they look like its throwin what i believe is both front o2 sensor codes (bank1 sensor1 and bank2 sensor1) tailpipes r black inside i got 1 o2 sensor for now im goin to try it i dont want to keep byin o2 sensors and wastin them thanks for the input