Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo guys with mass air flow sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo guys with mass air flow sensors

To the guys who are running turbo with maf, are ur bov's recirculated or are they dumped to the atmoshphere?
I read that if using a maf before the throttle bodie, u will need to recirculate the bov before the turbo becuz when the bov opens it causes the maf to tell the computer to command more fuel making the car run super rich.

If u guys do have a setup that is dumped, wut bov's r u all using?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a ricer BOV, think it's a HKS SSQV, vented to atmosphere. It's after the intercooler but before the maf. I had to cut a coil out of the spring to get it to respond quick enough.
Yes you are correct, don't put it after the maf with a blow thru set-up.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

yea, im running a tial, and its between the intercooler and maf. works fine!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the BOV is before the MAF, you can dump to atmosphere. After air goes through the MAF, the computer is adding the required fuel for that air. If the BOV is after the MAF and lets the air out after the MAF has already read it, the engine will not run correctly because it was "expecting" that air. In that case you would need to recirculate it so that the engine still receives the air it is expecting.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
As long as the BOV is before the MAF, you can dump to atmosphere. After air goes through the MAF, the computer is adding the required fuel for that air. If the BOV is after the MAF and lets the air out after the MAF has already read it, the engine will not run correctly because it was "expecting" that air. In that case you would need to recirculate it so that the engine still receives the air it is expecting.
Check out any factory turbo car (mercedes benz,volkswagen,nissan, poresche etc.) and you will find the BOV is always after the mass airflow
Old 12-25-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GM PHASST
To the guys who are running turbo with maf, are ur bov's recirculated or are they dumped to the atmoshphere?
I read that if using a maf before the throttle bodie, u will need to recirculate the bov before the turbo becuz when the bov opens it causes the maf to tell the computer to command more fuel making the car run super rich.

If u guys do have a setup that is dumped, wut bov's r u all using?
Keep in mind that pretty much all stock turbo vehicles BOV's are before the MAF and recirculated because the ECU is tuned from factory to account for that additional air. On my last car, if you vented the BOV to the atmosphere the car would instantly die after shifting to a higher gear. However, our car's are n/a so it doesn't really matter anyways. You'll tune it with HPTuners etc anyways. I will be running the JGS 60mm BOV. My last car was a Tial 50mm. I've wanted to try out the Tial Q though.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Don't confuse a By-Pass valve with a Blow Off valve. One vents to atmosphere, one recirculates.
A BOV should be placed before the MAF, a By-Pass valve goes after the MAF.
If you vent air after it's metered by the MAF you'll have issues.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dogsofjune
Don't confuse a By-Pass valve with a Blow Off valve. One vents to atmosphere, one recirculates.

No true, BOV's can be recirculated too. HKS actually makes recirculation kits for cars needing BOV's recirculated.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Yes you can recirculate a BOV, however, venting to atmosphere after the air has been metered will cause issues.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dogsofjune
Yes you can recirculate a BOV, however, venting to atmosphere after the air has been metered will cause issues.
You can vent them too, just have to make sure you have something to tune the ecu with. You are right though. Any stock car will have issues.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanx guys! I definitely got it now! I think that I'm gonna swap my billet bosch style bov from hp performance to an adjustable forged one. Its like 185 from extreme psi. My bov is mounted b4 my maf in a silicone T-hose. The one I have sounds crazy but I thinks that its causing my driveability problem.
It was opening up early at one point and I thought that I solved that problem but now I think that I hear it opening up again. Its probably just too cheep.
Is there any big name bov's that already have a bov flange mounted on some tubing that can be clamped to a silicone hose?
Old 12-25-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Get rid of the MAF altogether. Problem solved
Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Get rid of the MAF altogether. Problem solved

I"ll go that route if I decide to turn up the boost. I'm at 10 lbs rite now.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by topend
Check out any factory turbo car (mercedes benz,volkswagen,nissan, poresche etc.) and you will find the BOV is always after the mass airflow
Which would then be recirculated. What's your point?
Old 12-25-2010, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MAF is damn near mounted on the TB stock. If you meter the air with the maf, then dump it out via the bov, it'll run rich. Run the bov pre maf, and vent it to atmosphere.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Venting to atmosphere after the MAF will cause a few irritating problems, most are a bit more noticeable in a car with a standard trans, it's a common problem with DSM guys. Lot of newbs vent to make it sound cooler but then wonder why their **** dies when they come to a stop or stutters when they shift.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 PM
FormerVendor

Most of those cars, are draw thru maf. I dont know of very many, if any at all, draw thru maf'ed LSx cars.

Quick Reply: Turbo guys with mass air flow sensors