Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

convince me...SC or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default convince me...SC or Turbo

So I def wanna go step into the world of FI for my SS but Im kind of torn between whether I want to go SC or turbo...

I want a well street mannered 800rwhp car that will see occasional weekend track time. I know its possible cause Ive been in and around them. I have owned high horsepower turbo motors in the past and loved them but never dabbled in the SC world. What are the pros and cons of a SC? I know belts can slip with a SC and that bothers me a bit. I love the adjustability of a turbo setup and am kind of leaning towards a turbo build right now since thats what I know and am comfortable with.

Either route I go I will run a front mount, meth, bigger and better fuel system and an SD tune. I will be doing my own tuning with EFI Live and for now Im going to have to run low boost since my compression is 11:1 (motor is in the sig).

The more feedback I have from guys running either a turbo or SC setup, the better.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

That's a hard one. Either can net you your goals. Prices can me cheaper or more expensive on both sides. Do some searching around in peoples threads and see what sounds fun. There's plenty of high power turbo and blower cars around.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Supercharger setups are very simplistic, and they work. Downsides, belt slip, pulley changes for more boost.

Turbo setups are obviously a little more complex, but their adjustability is nice. Downsides, leaky oil lines if you get a dodgy kit, that's all I can really think of.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What crank do you have for your 402? I am in the same boat as you. At first I had looked into procharging it, but now I think I'm wanting a turbo setup. With the procharger kit I planned on getting the f1a blower but that would super strong crank like callies dragonslayer which is $1250ish alone. With a turbo setup there is no flex or pulling type of nature happening to the crank causing it to flex.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djfury05
What crank do you have for your 402? I am in the same boat as you. At first I had looked into procharging it, but now I think I'm wanting a turbo setup. With the procharger kit I planned on getting the f1a blower but that would super strong crank like callies dragonslayer which is $1250ish alone. With a turbo setup there is no flex or pulling type of nature happening to the crank causing it to flex.
I have a callies 4.000" 4340 forged crank thats been balanced to the rotating assembly along with Manley forged pistons and rods. The only thing Im kinda worried about with this motor is the 11:1 compression. I know its a bit high for a boost but with the proper tuning I think it will be just fine. The meth will help too since I will be running pump gas.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:49 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm.. plenty of people running prochargers (and other centri SCs) on stock cranks well above 800 HP. I would not let that be a determining factor at all. I vote for SC for simplicity and maintainability.

Ive never had a turbo car, but I know lots of people who have, and it always seems they are chasing problems with the turbo system itself. I know there are a few issues that need attention with the SC system, but they seem to be far less complex IMHO.

+.02
Old 01-01-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious about all these high maintenance turbo cars. I've had a turbo on my daily driven truck for about 6 years and the only maintenance is routine oil changes. When I say dd, I mean 30-35k per year.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Ummm.. plenty of people running prochargers (and other centri SCs) on stock cranks well above 800 HP. I would not let that be a determining factor at all. I vote for SC for simplicity and maintainability.

Ive never had a turbo car, but I know lots of people who have, and it always seems they are chasing problems with the turbo system itself. I know there are a few issues that need attention with the SC system, but they seem to be far less complex IMHO.

+.02
I agree that turbo systems are quite a bit more complex and can have issues accordingly once you get into high horsepower numbers. Thats one of the things I can appreciate about the SC...especially considering reliability is a small priority cause I will be driving the car 3-4 days a week. On the other hand, either SC or turbo systems need proper maintenance and preventative maintenance and checks to ensure proper performance

Chris
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

simple.....turbo.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

SC for the win.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
simple.....turbo.
thanks for your input. most helpful

Last edited by ries; 01-01-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Turbo ftw. People can say that they are more complex with more mechanical issues, but if you look at forced induction as a whole. Its nothing but a headache anyways. The more power you make, the more problems your likely to have with any setup. I've never owned a SC car before, but hearing how belts tend to break I think that's enough to deter me. Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
Turbo ftw. People can say that they are more complex with more mechanical issues, but if you look at forced induction as a whole. Its nothing but a headache anyways. The more power you make, the more problems your likely to have with any setup. I've never owned a SC car before, but hearing how belts tend to break I think that's enough to deter me. Just my .02 cents.
To tell you the truth thats one of the SC issues that is deterring me the most. I would hate to be running around and have a belt break. I never personally had any issues with any of my turbo setups except for the normal boost leak here and there but that is just as likely to happen with an SC setup. I guess you could also worry about exhaust leaks or manifold cracks if youre using tubular manifolds but I plan on a self-made truck mani kit if I go the turbo route.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

I've never had a belt break and if I did there would be nobody to blame but me. Like you said its just one of those things that should be checked. Every oil change I check my belt, change the blower oil and the engine oil. I also check the trans fluid and hell for that fact, most of the fluids. Its just part of proper up keep. I also DD'd my car for 2 years and put more then 50K of hard boosted miles on it. The blower whine is awesome and it sounds like a learjet....most silly cars are affraid to even look lol. Turbo cars are awesome but my vote is for a centri car. Boost and power is linear which is good for traction, and its just fun all around. There are quite a few cars with stock cranks running above 900rwhp without any issue as well. I say throw a F1A on it and make well into the 800's or more and have a pretty trouble free setup. Drive the car...not work on it all the time lol
Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Considering the turbo vs. s/c'er kits are equal in every other way and maintained properly w/ no boost leaks, belt slip, or any other woes that pertain to either form of forced induction, my vote goes for turbo. The ability to make boost adjustments on the fly, fuel efficiency, and boost efficiency alone make it a no brainer. Further more the fact that there is far less load on the motor when driving normally in a turbo car will prove valuable when you consider the longevity of all the wear items. I drive a forged 6.0 GTO w/ twin 3076R's and personal preference calls for a quiet operating setup. She's silent until I start beating on her. Quiet means sleeper and less attention from the law.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

turbo for the win. ive had turbo motors and sc'd motors, by far the turbo wins in the kick you in the *** department. drivability is much better and far easier on the motor, ive spun balancers off of big roots blowers even with a 4340 crank and double keywayed balancer. infinate adjustability with the turbo is also nice.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

either:

wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

or

ssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooop ..... pshhhhhhh

the choice is yours. choose wisely.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
either:

wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

or

ssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooop ..... pshhhhhhh

the choice is yours. choose wisely.
easy... turbo. Do some research
Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hahah in all seriousness, im making 723rwhp and 773rwtq and get 22mpg on the freeway with my turbo.

i have my downpipe routed into a cutout and then a catback to a big magnaflow. Cutout open sounds like a racecar, cutout shut sounds like a stock ls1 with a magnaflow haha

like others have said, assuming everything is in equal mechanical condition, turbo has the benefits, (no parasitic loss, boost adjustability, customizability [just invented that word], more options on sizing turbo vs sizing a head unit, etc)
Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

" Due what you think you can afford "

Quick Reply: convince me...SC or Turbo