Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Seriously unsure about single vs twins

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seriously unsure about single vs twins

I am in the process of building a forged 408 iron block for boost with stock 317's and victor jr. this is going through a m6. I am going to build a 1000rwhp car with no ac, battery relocated, alt relocated, coolant likely relocated, radiator verted, fuse box adjusted. I am doing all of this myself besides the shortblock assembly (wish me luck). This kind of sounds like i'm yielding a twin set-up right?

Now that I have those intentional plans out the way, I have searched and searched. I have reviewed fastest this and that. But the fact that someone is on the fastest list doesn't mean their type of set-up is the only set-up able to make that power. They simply are just happy enough to want to post lol.

My dilema is between running a big 88-91mm turbo vs a twin 72-76 mm set-up into a a2a fmic and meth kit. I have heard both sides of the story. I know the twins are said to spool quicker, but would running the twins of that size be just as slow spooling off of a single bank as the big single running of both banks? I see that mostly all of the bigger size turbo set-ups similar to what i am interested in makes boost at ~3500 and full boost at 42-4500. I really want to make boost ~3000 and have enough power in the turbo to carry it out to 6500-6800 rpm. I am running unported 317's so I know I wont be pushing it 7k+.

My question is, Are the twins any better than the 88mm+ single when the twins get over 72mm? Otherwise i should stick with the cheaper single option. I don't want super high powerbands it's useless for the rpms i want to spin. if the twins are the sure choice, which will give me that 3k rpm boost hit and still get me over 1000 rwhp? magnum 70, 72 or tc 76? i know those 76's are beasts, but they hit full boost on most 408 strokers at 4500 or more. That isn't what i'm looking for. But i must say i have never driven a boosted car. Maybe it's better than i'm thinking. I would love to still be able to get really close to a 200mph car as well. Thanks for the input. I am hoping this can be a very informative thread and get some solid input as i will be basing my near future purchases on what i receive as advice.
Thanks guys. I know i will get crushed for running 1k through a t-56
Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big single is goin to be harder to package ... i really dont think you need to go that big with the twins either.. something in the mid 60 mm range should get you there and spool faster.. some nice 67s should make close to 1200 in the right setup i would think.. this is just IMO i am by no means an expert by any means.. good luck with the build look forward to hearing how it goes.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turbo-faq.html

Quick Reply: Seriously unsure about single vs twins