Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Starting my turbo jet boat build!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting my turbo jet boat build!

Starting, as in starting to buy parts...

Here's the nice part, I am start 100% from scratch. I just sold my old pontoon boat, and my motorcycle will be sold as soon as I get back off the road. I am shopping for a nice 3500-4000$ boat with engine problems. My goal is to find a boat that's 100% there, and in nice enough shape so that most of my efforts can be spent on the swap. This is my first LsX build, and my first boat build... but Im no stranger to nasty motors. I work with monster trucks, so Im around blown methanol BBCs literally constantly. My daily driver is an 87 Grand National, so turbo's are no mystery either. Not bragging, just letting yall know Im not BSing so I can get a little help.

Engine
To start, Im going to grab a junkyard 5.3. They are just like I like my women, cheap and easy... I'll run it until it self destructs, and then consider something more after that happens. I'll go through it and do the normal mods/upgrades to keep it alive for a little while though. Pin the crank, Valve springs, maybe a Zo6 camp/lifters, ect...

The only real question I have is about the alternator. It's the only accessory I'll need, so are there any clean looking solutions?

Fuel
Now here's where I am still debating... EFI or blow through carb? The thought of EFI and the control over it I'll have are really making me lean that way. I know I'd need the usual big *** fuel pump, 80lb injectors, and FPR. Im actually more comfortable with EFI vs. carbs... Should I stick with the stock GM ECM? What tuning/data logging programs work with the ECM? I will be using the search function quite a bit bye the way.

turbo/hot side

I'd love to do twins, but I'm doing this on a "budget"

Im thinking a nice big single, nothing fancy. Borg Warner S4xx? Spooling shouldn't be an issue with the way the jet pump will load the turbo.

For the hot side I've got a few ideas, but I would like to keep fab work to a minimum. I would like to use stock manifolds flipped, and the GTO manifolds are looking really good right now. The LS3 (camaro/G8) manifolds would be my second choice, but I like the way the GTO manifolds have a forward exit.

This will more than likely be non-intercooled. Coming from the Turbo Buick crowd, Im a firm believer in methanol injection and I'll more than likely head in that direction. For the first season though, I'm just going to keep the boost low and get everything sorted out. Once this thing runs and runs well, everything is subject to change.

Since I'll be working on the road for the next month, I'm going to start ordering a stock piling parts. I'm going to start the engine work/turbo fab while Im looking for a good deal on a boat. I am open to any and all suggestions at this point so fire away.

Goals:
- "CHEAP"... I think Im a funny guy
- simple
- clean looking
- 5-600fwhp
- Buy parts once

I say 5-600hp, but the fuel system and turbo will both be bought/built with considerably bigger power numbers in mind.

Fire away guys, Im open to suggestions!

Btw, anyone want a 2003 Yamaha V-star 1100? Haha
Attached Thumbnails Starting my turbo jet boat build!-2010travels-176.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend a a2w intercooler since you will have plenty of cold water at your disposal
Also 5.3s are nothing like women, women bitch and complain, 5.3s take whatever you throw at them and deal with it lol
Old 06-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Our lakes get pretty warm here in the DFW area, but it's worth considering for sure.

After a bit more reading and searching this morning, it's looking like Im not gunna get away with stock manifolds... Stainless Works might be getting a call here in a few days. So much for budget... I guess they can at least work for an N/A build if I run out of cash haha...

Then again I could chop these up
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hooke...-/350350966800
Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might ask This guy......almost IDENTICAL setup

http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...5-3-turbo.html

Also PM Impatient1 he is still building his.

I'm doing a stock 4.8L (for now) jet....so if you need driveline help or whatever, let me know.

If you want water cooled vertical manifolds (so you don't melt fiberglass) they can be had for around $250 a side from PCM.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the heads up! I've spent roughly 20 hours this week researching everything I can find, we go out to a party cove mot weekends and all of my buddies want me to get a "bigger" boat... I just laugh and tell em to buy their own damn boat!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Launching!

be carfull on your exhaust manifolds. the DNR says you need to use some special type. Just check the laws first
Old 04-04-2015, 01:49 PM

Default Any updates

Are there any updates on these builds?

Quick Reply: Starting my turbo jet boat build!