Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Starts Then Dies Immediately - Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starts Then Dies Immediately - Intermittent

I figure I'll post this over here since my car is FI. I'll throw another one up in general maintenance.

Dilemma is, just got my new build running and all looks well. Thing is, sometimes (like 3 or 4 times in a row), I'll turn the key over to start it and it will fire right up, but IMMEDIATELY die. I can't give it pedal or anything to try and keep it running. And when I say immediately, I mean immediately. You know how when you start a car and it revs up a little higher than the idle RPM and then comes back down to close to idle RPMs. Well, mine will rev up to the higher and then drop all the way down to 0 instantly.

I've read and read and read and tried several different things, such as changing keys, thinking its the resistor in the key, looked at my tune with HP tuners, made sure it wasn't some weird column lock/vats/other random thing....no luck.

But then, after three or four failed attempts, it'll start the exact same way, and then just stay idling...and I'll go drive it for a while....aggravating..

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 AM
10 Second Club

I had a car that I could get it and drive anywhere as long as I didn't shut it off. Then it would randomly just crank & not start but sometimes it would. Ended up being the ignition relay in the fuse block under the hood.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

See, that's the thing...my car will start every time...just not stay running every time...so I don't know what to think.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Launching!

my car did the same crap...ended up being a bad connection to the water temp sensor.Would do that start and die thing, id wiggle the plug untill it would run.I eventually changed the clip on the harness and the sensor for good measure
Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Hey Bob,

I sure do. It has an AEM digital one and reads a rock solid 60 lbs even as it is dying...one of the first things I checked too.

As for the water temp sensor, I log it every time I try and start it and it is able to read coolant temp the entire time...so if it wasn't a good connection on the sensor, I figure that it'd show on the logs that I'm not receiving data..I'll check the connections and condition of the wires going to it though.

Thanks for the input though guys
Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Launching!

You might check the ground straps on the back of the head, mine came loose once causing the car to die at odd times.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Launching!

when i had the water temp sensor issue on the dyno when the sensor wasnt connected properly the temp reading would defalut to a set temp( 130 i belive)
Old 08-13-2011, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

i'll check my coolant temp when the car fails to stay running and see if it has defaulted to this 130 number...but when it is running, it is fine and reading correctly...so one more thing to check out. Thanks for the help
Old 08-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Launching!

not sure exactly what the number was, but basically my tuner said that the pcm was miss fueling the engine on startup because of the faulty signal
Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Launching!

when the passlock or vats systems or even the key cylinder start to go bad they do the same thing I had a 2002 GMC did the same thing so I cut the passlock wires and installed a resistor and never did it again ?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3timeracin
when the passlock or vats systems or even the key cylinder start to go bad they do the same thing I had a 2002 GMC did the same thing so I cut the passlock wires and installed a resistor and never did it again ?
Do you have any more info on what size resistor you used and what wires you connected it between? This is along the lines of what i think my problem is. I tried my second set of keys with the little resistor in it, and from what ive read, the value in the chip on the key varies around 20 ohms. I also read there is a relearn procedure if you happen to lose your keys and have to get another...so maybe that in combination with the hard wiring of the resistor will get me going.

Thanks for the input, i appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Starts Then Dies Immediately - Intermittent