Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

some pics of my progress. D1SC, Big Red, FMIC...ect.**More pics/vids Added!!**

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some pics of my progress. D1SC, Big Red, FMIC...ect.**More pics/vids Added!!**

so ive been cracking down hard on this car the past couple of weeks. got my clutch in 2 weeks ago. (Diamond Stage 2, Thanks jason @ TDP) and started my install of my procharger this past weekend on saturday and this is where im at.

enjoy? lol

Mock up for BOV...

Vacuum for catch can.

New fuel pump waiting to go in...

mototron 60#'ers

exhaust removed for clutch install...

my button and led for my wideband..

innovate LC1

prosport boost/vacuum gauge

boost/wideband/fuelpressure
was waiting on a part for the fuel pressure to work in this pic.

still have some work to do. i still ahve to wire my radiator fan, install the fuel pump, run a vacuum line for the BOV... i have the pipe and flange being welded right now. Gotta purchase a new MAF since mine is ****. and still gotta pick up a 2-bar map sensor and some oil. but its coming together. im hoping to get it tuned next weekend...

thanks for looking.

Last edited by allout06; 10-04-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

yes the garage is a mess i know....only place i can work on the car is over at my parentss house. i dont think my apartment complex would like my car torn apart in the parking lot lol...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Just remember that the MAF needs to go AFTER the BPV. You'll have serious issues if it doesn't. Mine is right after the blower discharge, before the intercooler.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

it is after the bpv. it goes blower>intercooler>BPV>MAF>TB.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Ok...just checking...didn't see it in the pic very well. I would consider moving it down stream a little further from the MAF though.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

I would have but I really didn't have any room. damn thing is huge lol. maybe I'll just flip the tube around.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would look at placing the BOV between the blower and the intercooler. Placing it down below will clean up the engine bay (if you care about that) and there is no sense in cooling the air if all you are going to do is then vent it to atmosphere.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I will be building a kit like this soon so this really helps me out. I have a few questions i hope you don't mind answering.

Is that the cxracing 31x12x4 intercooler with 3"in/outlets? (curious cause that is what i'll be using) Is that the pipe kit that comes with the intercooler?

I know i have seen others with fmic only use the top two bolts to hold the intercooler, is that all you really need? just doesn't seem like much holding it in place. I guess the pipes will keep it from moving as well. It seems like some of the fmic builds i have seen they are actually cutting out that center piece where your intercooler supports are bolted to, does anyone know why they do this? Is it to increase air flow?

Since you have built this yourself, do you think you could use a longer intercooler? I was wondering if i could fit a longer intercooler in there as i have a camaro, and was hoping the core part of the intercooler would be long enough to spread edge to edge on the bumper opening. This way i wouldn't have to cut out the center section of my bumper.

Last edited by gpr; 09-29-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by No Juice
I would look at placing the BOV between the blower and the intercooler. Placing it down below will clean up the engine bay (if you care about that) and there is no sense in cooling the air if all you are going to do is then vent it to atmosphere.
I already have the pipe welded up for it's current location. And it's a good lookin BOV so I wanted to show it off under the hood. And I wanted to keep it out of the elements...

Originally Posted by gpr
Thanks for the pics. I will be building a kit like this soon so this really helps me out. I have a few questions i hope you don't mind answering.

Is that the cxracing 31x12x4 intercooler with 3"in/outlets? (curious cause that is what i'll be using) Is that the pipe kit that comes with the intercooler?

I know i have seen others with fmic only use the top two bolts to hold the intercooler, is that all you really need? just doesn't seem like much holding it in place. I guess the pipes will keep it from moving as well. It seems like some of the fmic builds i have seen they are actually cutting out that center piece where your intercooler supports are bolted to, does anyone know why they do this? Is it to increase air flow?

Since you have built this yourself, do you think you could use a longer intercooler? I was wondering if i could fit a longer intercooler in there as i have a camaro, and was hoping the core part of the intercooler would be long enough to spread edge to edge on the bumper opening. This way i wouldn't have to cut out the center section of my bumper.
Yes i used the cx racing intercooler kit. as far as mounting it. I went to my local hardware store and bought some angle iron and an aluminum pipe along with bolts and lock washers. I drilled 2 holes per side for mounting the angle iron to the bumper and placed the spacers underneath to make the IC sit level. I used the bolts from the kit to mount the IC to the angle iron. As far as going wider. I wouldn't. I wish I would of tucked my charge piping in closer. my front bumper hits my piping on the sides. It still mounted up. Just needed some elbow grease. Your going to have to cut ur bumper though. It won't fit if you don't.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:54 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by allout06
. Your going to have to cut ur bumper though. It won't fit if you don't.
can you elaborate more? where do you have to cut the bumper to make the intercooler work?

thanks again for the help!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

On my TA I had to trim the foglight buckets alot. And I had to curbing the license plate area obviously. I had to trim a little on the under side to the right so my bumper wouldn't hit the charge pipe. I'm not sure what the back side of the camaros bumper looks like but you'll have to cut an opening so air can get to the IC.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

if thats a bbk intake make sure you loctite the bolts for the plate undernieth it, otherwise they will loosen up and you will be chasing a boost leak like I did. gages look sweet!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lmt0705
if thats a bbk intake make sure you loctite the bolts for the plate undernieth it, otherwise they will loosen up and you will be chasing a boost leak like I did. gages look sweet!
LOL! Ditto. I'd go one further. I'd remove the brittle neoprene "type" gasket, replace it with RTV and then loctite all the bolts.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Haha ya. Thanks guys. I think I gotta pull it off n e way to install my 2-bar map. I think i made a stay for mine so it wouldn't move. While it's off I'll RTV that bottom piece and loctite them bolts.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i did that too, then i just went back to an ls6 and sold it
Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Teching In

nice project
Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lmt0705
yeah i did that too, then i just went back to an ls6 and sold it
I picked up 25rwhp from switching from the PP Intake to the LS6. IAT's dropped big time. I would switch it over if you can.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

I have the bbk not the pp. Imma keep it for now. I paid $470 for it. Imma use it lol
Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Teching In

That's sick!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice looking combination, you did a good job with it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: some pics of my progress. D1SC, Big Red, FMIC...ect.**More pics/vids Added!!**