Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My build thread - TC78/LS1/sedan from Aus

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My build thread - TC78/LS1/sedan from Aus

Hey guys just starting my turbo build so thought i'd put up a progress thread.

First off my names Nick and my car is an '01 Holden Calais International with ls1 and 4L60E transmission. Its basically a 4 door version of your '04 GTO's.

Plans are front mound and intercooled TC78 turbo with 1.15a/r housing, custom hotside using stock drivers side manifold and custom passenger side manifold and crossover. I'll be keeping the LS1 stock for now and don't want to run much more then 8psi through it to be safe till i can afford a forged bottom end.

I'll just update this thread as things progress as im still in the parts collection stages right now.

Here's my big girl from when i got her till now.

First mods i did were Ported and polished T/B with DUS OTR, twin 3inch cat back and tune. Im over the mild gains so its turbo time

Some sound gear to keep me happy on my daily commute since it is my daily driver.

Some suspension parts to freshen her up a bit and make it low! Got some new wheels for it too, they are VE SSV Series 2 rims in 19x8 which is our version of your Pontiac G8.

Now onto some of the parts hording for the new build.

HSV/AP Racing 4 piston front and rear brakes 350mm front rotors 332mm rear rotors

25% UD balancer, Timing chain, Morel tie-bar lifters

3 inch 100cpi metal cats as we have pretty stringent emission laws over here ( Think Cali )

Yank ss3600 stall ( I'm still in 2 minds on whether or not to do this as it is my daily )

Custom 2.4l Surge tank under car and will fit either dual Walbro255's or Bosch 044's

Turbonetics TC78

As you can see there's still a few bits and pieces i need before the actual build can begin like the fuel system and cooler but should be happening over the next few months.

Thanks for checking it out
Old 10-29-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like a fun project. But if I can say, you need to raise the rear of the car some...match the front. Other then that, cool build.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
Looks like a fun project. But if I can say, you need to raise the rear of the car some...match the front. Other then that, cool build.
Thanks mate, your build along with a few other guys here were the inspiration for the TC78 build.
As for the height it looks lower in the rear in those pics but the car sits level front to back on level ground. Saying that the rear springs will be swapped over for some slightly higher springs when i get a chance later on
Old 10-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscibed. Looks like fun
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a pretty good combo,
I'm making around 700 rwhp with my TC78.
Don't think you will have to lower the rear, the fronts gonna gain some weight with turbo, plumbing and intercooler.
Go with a 600x300x100 intercooler, and at least a 44mm wastegate , pref 50mm if your only gonna run 8 psi boost.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

We have a good amount of builds going on in this section now haha. Looks good, i have never seen the car before.

Im jealous of the 1.15 a/r
Old 10-30-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Verse1
Thanks mate, your build along with a few other guys here were the inspiration for the TC78 build.
As for the height it looks lower in the rear in those pics but the car sits level front to back on level ground. Saying that the rear springs will be swapped over for some slightly higher springs when i get a chance later on
Awesome and be sure to keep us all updated I think you will like the TC78...I do. Although, I will upgrade once I get a motor built. But that's going to be awhile.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Johnv
Sounds like a pretty good combo,
I'm making around 700 rwhp with my TC78.
Don't think you will have to lower the rear, the fronts gonna gain some weight with turbo, plumbing and intercooler.
Go with a 600x300x100 intercooler, and at least a 44mm wastegate , pref 50mm if your only gonna run 8 psi boost.
Cheers John, cooler will be 600x300x76mm and wastegate is a Tial 44mm. I wouldn't mind running up to around 12psi on it stock but don't want to lunch the motor so will keep things on the low side for everyday driving.

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
We have a good amount of builds going on in this section now haha. Looks good, i have never seen the car before.

Im jealous of the 1.15 a/r
Yeah its good to see people doing write ups of their builds. Had to go the 1.15 rear after a few peeps mentioned the smaller .96 running out of puff up top.

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
Awesome and be sure to keep us all updated I think you will like the TC78...I do. Although, I will upgrade once I get a motor built. But that's going to be awhile.
Cheers man, yeah i hear you. I was thinking of going with a 76gts off the bat but figure i'll upgrade later if i need to once i get around to building a forged stroker.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go a 100 mm thick intercooler, I swapped from 76mm to 100 and made a big difference. and have a couple of mates do the same, and picked up quite abit of power and much cooler intake temps.

cost about the same,just a bit more trimming to make it fit.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Johnv
I would go a 100 mm thick intercooler, I swapped from 76mm to 100 and made a big difference. and have a couple of mates do the same, and picked up quite abit of power and much cooler intake temps.

cost about the same,just a bit more trimming to make it fit.

Yeah i havn't purchased the cooler yet so will look into finding a 100mm think one. Did you just go with an ebay cooler or custom made?
Have you got any build pics or vids of your set up, i'd love to check it out
Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

It's great to make a small car go fast, but it's awesome to make a big car go fast! We have those here in Kuwait they're called (caprice) great cars, a bit too long for my taste but awesome build non the less, i have a tc76 on my ls1 (junkyard caprice engine) in my 99 camaro, completly stock + the wrong cam, it's cranking out 530whp 520wtq and still going strong, good luck my friend...

Quick Reply: My build thread - TC78/LS1/sedan from Aus