Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

supercharger boost leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default supercharger boost leak?

ok I have been having problems with my vortech not making any boost at all or very little. I have a boost gauge and it hardly ever moves at all just slightly.

I saw an article on how to make a boost leak test kit. I found one major one on the back of the intake and its fixed. Now I have a question. Is the vortech supercharger a sealed unit? I will post a few pics to help you understand what I mean. I put my boost leak test kit right on where the supercharger sucks in air and when just a little pressure I can hear it coing right back out of the supercharger itself none of the piping. What I was wondering is that once the supercharger starts turning will this leak go away or is it maybe getting worse? Im kinda stuck and dont know where to go from here to get my car to make boost. If anyone can help thank you!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default boost leaking

Originally Posted by douwannarace
I saw an article on how to make a boost leak test kit. !
I would like to read that article. I have same problems. Can you tell us where to find the article?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, what kit do you have? What mods are done to the engine? V-9 g-trim kit? Intercooled? If so, factory or aftermarket intercooler? Do you have v-band clamps or hose clamps? Where is your boost guage tied into the system at? What size pulley's do you have? Can you take some pics of the system and how its set up? Id like to help, but need more info.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

the article i read I found on google. I think it was around $20 for the kit. This not the article I read but its the same thing pretty much. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...et-tester.html
It seems like a good idea to test your intake piping every so often to keep your power up.

Mods done to the engine are stock 243 heads, fast intake, Z06 cam, it has a intercooler, it says V-2-T on the supercharger. My boost gauge is tied into the brake booster line. Im trying to get some pics of it but my digital camera is missing so I soon as I get another I will take some pics.I got blue rubber to connect the piping together with band clamps. Im not sure what size pulley.The guy that did these mods said it dynoed 575rwhp and trapped 135 in the quarter. this was not the guy that I bought the car from its been through a few people. It had a ton a small problems with the car but they were all super easy to fix and this is the last one. The only place I can find air leaking is like right in the middle of the supercharger its like its almost 2 pieces that slide together and air just comes out of there really easy. Im not sure if that matter as I dont know if the supercharger is making boost at that part of the supercharger.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to a hardware store and get a pvc cap that fits in the rubber coupler that fits on your blower, drill it and thread in an air fitting for a compressor. make sure you put a regulator on it as you only want a few psi (5-10) at the extreme. trust me its a lot more than you think. wire your throttlebody open and start pressurising. you will hear it hissing out pretty quickly
Old 11-23-2011, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by lmt0705
go to a hardware store and get a pvc cap that fits in the rubber coupler that fits on your blower, drill it and thread in an air fitting for a compressor. make sure you put a regulator on it as you only want a few psi (5-10) at the extreme. trust me its a lot more than you think. wire your throttlebody open and start pressurising. you will hear it hissing out pretty quickly

yes, straight into the intake and out the exhaust.

most potential leaks can simply be found using your eyes and common sense.

if you insist on testing right through the intake, then you need to remove the rocker arms so the intake valves cannot open.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dident have to do that, but i found mine in about 10 seconds, wound up being the bottom plate on the bbk intake i used to use

Quick Reply: supercharger boost leak?