Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Detailed Info for Turbo'ing an LS1? or LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detailed Info for Turbo'ing an LS1? or LT1?

Well, as you can see in my signature, I currently own a VR-4. Of course I get the regular guys around here laughing when I pull up next to them, but they don't realize even in my current state from 10-110 I was only 1.5 cars behind my fathers C5.. More mods will fix that this weekend. ( That's besides the pt.. )

I'm currently saving, and not sure what I'm going to do with the money and would like to buy an LS1. I love the WS-6, but would more likely get a camaro due to pricing. My father has a 50th Anniversary Corvette, and I would love to turbo a vette, but the pricing is too far beyond what I can afford.

My post is to ask for the guys who have done the turbos, or the ones who know what is needed and how to do it.

---
Let's say I find a decently priced Z28 or SS and pick it up.From my experience and knowledge with my car, with larger turbos ( I'm on stockers... ) I would need larger injectors, fuel pump, fuel controller, and a boost controller. Being that is NA, custom manifolds have to be created? Correct? Or are there kits purposely now for single turbo setups?
---
Basically, I searched a bit but didn't find anything, and would really like to know what the final cost involved in doing this is. We can do all the work on the car besides machining, that's not a prob, just trying to mentally get the costs laid out in my mind.

Thanks for your input and suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.
Matt
Old 03-15-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first off you need a turbo kit, unless you fabricate everything yourself which isnt easy.
these kits will come with the turbo(s), manafolds, intake piping, intercooler etc.
look at the top sticky for turbo kits available.

you will need bigger injectors and fuel pump, new lines and fuel rails if your really power hungry.
then you need a good tune, or standalone system, again how hungy you get.

cost, get ready to crack open your piggy bank, cause its sure not cheap. you also need to upgrade your drive train when you start upping the power levels.
trans, clutch, rear end etc.
you could easly see over 10k for the turbo kit and drivetrain.

its always better to do your drivetrain first, then your power, id be alot faster if i would have done it that way.

Quick Reply: Detailed Info for Turbo'ing an LS1? or LT1?